GO!

Dogs in car accident escaped...why you should use a seatbelt!

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Wed Oct 4, '06 5:08pm PST 
I have large "tags" on my dogs' seatbelts with emergency info on them, as well as a folder inside the car that says "In Case of Emergency"-- inside the folder is a sheet of paper that authorizes medical treatment of my dogs if they are injured, as well who to contact to care for them. I also have several current photos of my dogs and copies of their vaccination records in the folder. The photos are more for in case they ever went missing while I was on vacation or something, I would be able to make flyers easily.

Here is a photo that shows the info on the tags:
http://www.chicagocanine.com/dogid.jpg

I made the tags by using self-laminating luggage tag pouches, I just printed the info on my computer and then I folded the paper and sealed it in the sticky laminated pouches.
[notify]
Mingus, CGC,- R3GL

www.phetched.com

Barked: Wed Oct 4, '06 7:45pm PST 
Great tip, Ginger!
[notify]
Tippy

You can get- anything if you- sit pretty!

Barked: Thu Oct 5, '06 5:22am PST 
Around here they take dogs to a local shelter if it is in an accident.
Unfortunatly we had a past adopter that was bringing a dog back to us (she was fighting her other dog) that got into a bad car accident and passed away.
Somehow the dog surrvived without a scratch on her, the police said they didn't even know there was a dog in the truck, she was huddled in the floorboard.
They took the dog to the local shelter and we had to contact them! Our tags were on the dog but they would not allow us to take her because the owner had passed and they had to talk to the family to see if we were allowed to have her.
We would have never known the dog was there if we didn't get worried when the adopter did not show up, then heard of a fatal accident on the news, then we had to call her work to find out that she had passed, then had to track the dog down.
It was a bad situation but we did get the dog back, we were lucky that she did not get hurt or run away, it could have easily happened.
[notify]

Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Thu Oct 5, '06 4:25pm PST 
Beau-- The airbags could still injure you even if you are a large dog. I would disable them if you are sitting where they are.
Here is an article about air bags and dogs: http://ruffrider. com/pr.php?release=prfeb21
[notify]
Beau

Until there's- none, adopt one.

Barked: Fri Oct 6, '06 9:02pm PST 
I am glad I checked back with this post, thanks Ginger, I was only taking weight in to consideration when it comes to the airbags, was not thinking of the other factors. Thanks again!
[notify]
Sir.- Tuxanawlden- SDIT

The Heir

Barked: Fri Oct 6, '06 9:55pm PST 
On Wednesday morning, I was driving down (the freeway) when my GPS told me "traffic alert." I didn't understand but about three miles down the road I saw a traffic light. As I approached it turned from green to yellow. I could stop as long as I hit the brakes pretty well, I thought.

Just as I was editing that thought to press down on the accelerator and run it because I wouldn't stop in time, a police officer walked out into my northbound lanes (he had been attending the scene of an accident in the southbound lanes) without noticing me coming straight at him at 55mph.

At this point I had to hit the brakes and hit them hard to save this officer's life. I was already hitting them hard but they needed to be hit harder. After agonizing seconds I stopped about 5-10 feet from him. I had to hit the brakes so hard that everything flew off my front passenger seat to the floorboard, AND the hitch that I have on my rear floorboard for my Subaru slid underneath the passenger seat almost to the front floorboard. Everything I had in back (in the cargo area) got messed up too but didn't come forward because it was all lower than the backseat.

Tux wasn't with me that morning (Tux had to stay home w/ my parents because he was ill) and I am so glad he was not. He rides unbelted in the second seat because the cargo area had a problem (he got trapped there once) and he's unbelted because I don't have a seatbelt for him. Had he been riding with me that morning he would have been severely injured, possibly injuring me in the process.

Please everyone, get a seatbelt for your dog NOW! (I'm getting one). You never know when you will have to stop quickly like that at that speed. If your dogs are unbelted they can injure you or injure themselves.

Tux & Big Sis
[notify]
CASEY the- Super Dog!

Super Dog, Ta- Da!!!!!

Barked: Mon Oct 9, '06 2:52pm PST 
So what did the police officer say to you?
[notify]
Sir.- Tuxanawlden- SDIT

The Heir

Barked: Mon Oct 9, '06 10:55pm PST 
Casey,
Take note of where I landed after stopping - three feet into the crosswalk, 5-10 feet from an officer & motorbike...

...at an accident scene, with five cops attending (minor fender bender - rear - ender)

And what do any of the five officers say to me? Nothing. They look at me, turn back, decide what they've got is more important, and I get away scot-free. However, do keep in mind that I kind of had no choice in the matter (the fact I needed to stop because this officer walked out in my lane) and none of the cops cared because there were still five cops standing out of five. I felt very lucky at that moment BOL...(thankful, too, for the ability to stop in time).

Tux & Big Sis
[notify]
CASEY the- Super Dog!

Super Dog, Ta- Da!!!!!

Barked: Tue Oct 10, '06 2:48pm PST 
BOL!
[notify]

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '12 3:56am PST 
i think that it is the most important for the safety of the rescue worker in a accident so that one thing is that many dogs will protect their owners.but i think in many cases i have seen that the police man safe the man and the dog bite it.but i think that the your dog have no idea that these people are there for the help purpose.

Edited by author Wed Apr 4, '12 10:55am PST

Approved by forums moderator
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2