GO!

Dogs in car accident escaped...why you should use a seatbelt!

This forum is dedicated to places that people and dogs can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your pooch, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Dogster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Dogster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Pooch ~ I- miss you ~

love forever

Barked: Sun Oct 1, '06 10:40am PST 
Here are a lot of reasons why you should use a crate or seatbelt on your dog when riding in the car!

From a dog email list I am on:
***********(quoted message below)**********
I was just informed that one of my puppy owners, Dawn DeGuide was just in a car accident, and rushed to the hospital. She had her dog Charlie... red/rust cropped and docked male (16 months old), in the car when the accident happened, he bolted as the officer tried to get him, all the officer was able to get was his collar. The accident happened at Rt 12 and Old Rand Road at 1:30. There was a second sighting around the Honey Lake subdivision where he was hit by a car, but ran again. Charlie has no collar on, and the witness said he yelped when he was hit by the car.
***********(end of quoted message)********** (Thankfully this dog was later found, and he was ok.)

Another case from my email list:

>"I just got word that Diane Martin from Chicago, with Smooth the MACH2
> Rottie and Buttercup the AmStaff, was killed in an accident involving her
> RV, somewhere on her way back from the agility trials in Lawrence KS last
>night. Smooth escaped and is still on the run, the other three dogs are
> at a local humane society.
**************** (Smooth was also found, after more than a week.)

And another:

A family traveling from the Chicago area to the UP of Michigan was in a car accident in the Green Bay, WI area early in the morning of June 28th. All of the humans and one dog traveling are okay, but a 4 month old Sheltie pup named Neeko was thrown from the car and is missing.

And another:

HELP! LOST DOG in Accident on I-70
> Haskins is a Border Collie
>
> Haskins was in an accident last Friday January 10 along I-70
> east of Plainfield. He is a Great Lakes Border Collie Rescue
> dog that was on his way home to his new family. He is only
> 12-weeks-old and weighs about 12 pounds, with very fluffy
> fur that is black and white with tan eyebrows.
> We found our other lost puppy, Kassi at 6 Point Roads and
> I-70 this last Tuesday. He could be in that area as well.
> Please help us find Haskins! If you see him - PLEASE - pick
> him up.

And more cases:

"Chris Hallock (a Texas Handler) had an auto accident while returning from Montgomery, PA. He swerved to avoid hitting a deer and his van rolled, the top came off and the crates spilled out. Two Airedales are loose in the woods since 10PM Monday night. The two missing Airedales are males with the call names of Z-rod and Nick. One human passenger was seriously hurt and is now in the hospital in Charleston West Virginia. The accident happened on I-79 near Sutton West Virginia. That is about 50 miles northeast of Charleston West Virginia.
Chris was in the hospital till 5am this morning and has just began to search for the missing Airedales. Their crates came open in the crash and they cannot be found."
(The two missing Airedales were later found-- they had been hit by cars further down the highway and killed.)

Another dog:
"Austin was another "favorite". (cut)............. He was also with me in the car when I had a very bad accident. He was 8 and when the car flipped, his crate broke up. When the fire department got the doors open, he ran scared. It took 3 nights to finally get him to come to someone he knew, and he was my only concern as I lay in my hospital bed unable to try to get him myself."

And another from my email list:

*******************PASTED/QUOTED MESSAGE******************
" We had three dogs in a Subaru Forester, one in a crate
in the rear and two on the back seat. The rear passenger side
window was shattered when we side-swiped the jersey wall on the
right shoulder. When the car finally stopped and we turned to check
on the dogs Maddie, Erica's springer spaniel, wasn't there. We
leaped from the car and checked over the jersey wall, assuming that
she'd been thrown from the vehicle. We didn't see her and then we
turned around and saw her running down the median strip BETWEEN the
north and south bound lanes. Somehow she had managed to cross 4
lanes of I-95 South without being hit. A good samaritan stopped to
help us and drove Erica across the lanes to the median strip in an
attempt to catch Maddie. Another good samaritan was able to pick up
Maddie, unscathed, further south on I-95. This same woman picked up
Erica and returned her and Maddie to the site of the accident.

In the meantime my dog, Max, appeared to be handling things well,
until he heard the fire truck sirens. He also leaped out the
shattered passenger side window, thankfully landing behind the
jersey wall. He stopped about 20 feet down the road, but it took
much begging and pleading on my part to get him to come to me. All
the dogs were later checked by vets and found to be o.k., just a
little shaken up. Aggie, the dog in the crate, was unharmed except
for a scrape on the nose and appeared to be unfazed by the accident.
The moral of this story is use a crate or a seatbelt harness on your
dogs whenever they are in a vehicle. It only takes a second for an
accident to happen and a frightened dog will run from everyone, even
his best friend. "
*******************END PASTE/QUOTE***************************
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Sun Oct 1, '06 11:04am PST 
The messages above show why a seatbelt is so important after an accident. During an accident a seatbelt may also save your dogs' lives and prevent serious injury to you as well. In a 30 mph collision a dog my size will slam into objects with over 1000 pounds of force! Even a small dog will exert hundreds of pounds of force. This means they may slam into the windows, seats, or even the driver or other passengers which could injure them as well.

It is also important for the safety of any rescue workers in an accident-- many dogs will become protective of their owners after an accident. I have heard of dogs not allowing rescuers to remove an injured person from the car after an accident, and if the dogs are unrestrained they could attack and injure someone. You might not think your dog would be protective, but in a strange, scary situation such as this you never know. Your dog does not know that these people are there to help!

So please please restrain your dog when riding in the car!

Edited by author Sun Oct 1, '06 11:05am PST

[notify]
Bullet- R.I.P.

foster- failure... mom- caved

Barked: Sun Oct 1, '06 11:56am PST 
Also.... dip sticks got to stop having dogs tie/ untied in the back of pick up trucks. there is absolutley no protection for dogs there. the tied ones can't jump ( or can they ) from the back of the truck but they can be crushed if the truck turns over. I don't care if " oh but he likes it" if you love your dog.... he/she wouldn't be in the back of a pick-up truck without being protected. Heck they shouldn't be in there anyway.
[notify]

Pete

I'll go anywhere- you're going,- Mom!

Barked: Sun Oct 1, '06 1:30pm PST 
I wish people would, please, stop driving w/dogs in their laps! It may seem "cute" or safe, but for the same reason that drivers shouldn't put an infant or child there, the airbag will most certainly kill the dog (if it doesn't die in some other way) - even in only a minor traffic accident.

I just have to vent - I once saw a girl here driving a convertible w/her Dachsund behind her head, like a "neck rest", no joke! I was walking so, unfortunately, unable to yell at her for her unbelievable ignorance and stupidity.

I have a convertible myself, but Pete wears a belt in the backseat and sits there calmly. There's no way I'd let him ride w/out one! The foster, Max, can't ride calmly and isn't used to the car yet, so we don't put the top down anymore.
[notify]
Daisy - R.I.P.

Good Morning- Beautiful.

Barked: Sun Oct 1, '06 2:00pm PST 
Some people go for cuteness or the " look at my dog" way of travel instead of " look at how safe my dog is because I care about his/her "
[notify]
Beau

Until there's- none, adopt one.

Barked: Wed Oct 4, '06 7:18am PST 
Good post! I must admit that I do not put Beau in his seatbelt very much, and he is always in the car with me. I keep telling myself that I have to get better about it, before it is too late. I mean I would never drive without wearing my seatbelt, and I love Beau so I really need to this.

Based on the inital post, it would seem that crates are not as safe as seatbelts?, seems like that would be the case in some types of accidents.

I have a hard time with Beau's seatbelt, because he always lays down and it seems to twist/shift.

I have airbags/side curtain airbags,someone suggested I dis-able the ones on the side Beau is on, but he is 68 pounds, so I was thinking the air bags would not injure him, anyone know anything about this? thanks.
[notify]
Cinnamon- Bear

A hug in fur

Barked: Wed Oct 4, '06 7:45am PST 
This is more of a question actually...Honey and I both have matching carseats that we ride in...in case of an accident what happens to us should the humans be carted away by ambulance? What do they do with us? We assume would would still be belted in...would they just take us to the shelter or what?

Anybody know?
[notify]
Mingus, CGC,- R3GL

www.phetched.com

Barked: Wed Oct 4, '06 7:48am PST 
My mom's going to get tags made for my seatbelt that have an alternate contact number (besides her) and the name and # of my vet. That way if she's carted off in an ambulance, I (hopefully) won't end up at a shelter, or if I'm hurt, too, they know where to take me.

I just posted this comment on the other thread, but it applies here, too, so I'll copy it:

Yesterday at the park, a man drove up with two dogs (unrestrained) in the back of his pickup. As he slowed down to park, one of his dogs jumped out of the back of the truck (while the truck was still moving) and ran toward the park gate. The man had to slam on his brakes to avoid potentially killing his own dog, and either grazed the back of the dog with his bumper or missed him by about 2 hairs (my view was partially blocked).

I'd like to think that guy went out today and bought 2 seatbelts for his dogs, but I'm not sure. He started yelling at the dog for jumping out of the truck. I really should have given that guy my doggy seatbelt speech, but he seemed kinda cranky. So let's just hope the situation taught him a lesson!
[notify]
Beau

Until there's- none, adopt one.

Barked: Wed Oct 4, '06 8:00am PST 
Sisco,

The Humane Society has a great free kit on their website for planning for your dog's care in the event of your death(wills/care/etc.) included in that kit is information on what to do if you are in a car accident, you set up ahead of time with a designated caregiver, and keep a card in your wallet with that person's information. I have the card in my wallet with (2) people's names & numbers as well as my vets information.

I often wonder the same thing though, if you are in an accident, there is an ambulance for you, but what about your pooch, I guess it all depends on the rescue personnel(cops/emt) that are on scene/the proximity to vet care/etc.
[notify]
Kelpie

Foxy girl!

Barked: Wed Oct 4, '06 10:18am PST 
How scary to see that, Mingus!

There's a woman at our dogpark who has signs advocating seatbelting your dog on her car: one of her dogs saw something that set her off, jumped out the car window and was run over.

I hate driving behind someone who has an unrestrained dog in the back of his truck -- I neither want to see or be responsible for what could happen to that dog!

Kelpie is crated in the car. She seems to prefer it to being seatbelted, but maybe I'll go back to the seatbelt, which seems to be safer.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2