GO!

A little venting about Online Attitudes

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Stella

I'm from Broken- Bow, we don't- play that!

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 11:30pm PST 
I get what you mean by this. I've been on Yahoo! Answers before and years ago the pet section used to be decent, now people are getting chewed out in the dog category. It's pretty messed up and these people are either unaware or ignore the site's terms of use and such and that what they post is against the rules.
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 2:02am PST 
I also know how you feel!

Some people on other sites are just hideous! And worse, they seem to think they are giving you a hard time because they have the dog's best interest at heart... NO!... They just want to sound cool and macho online where they are perfectly hidden from identification... There are some people that have got me so wound up that I have actually wanted to find them and hit them (not on this site) big laugh I've never hit anyone or anything in my life!

I think with any breed like Akitas, Pits, Rotties and GSDs, there is always going to be
a stigma attached (I grew up with Rotties) but part of being a responsible dog owner is realising this and working with it... People will always have preconceptions of the breed and as an Akita owner, it's your responsibility to show them otherwise... That's all you can do puppy and I salute you for giving the breed a chance when others just assume they're born vicious...

You got a hard time about tethering your dog?!
I think tethering is one of the best training techniques for all sorts of problems you may be encountering and it's no one else's business to call you cruel for doing something that most professionals will advise.

Anyways, please make a profile! We all want to see pics of your Akita puppy puppy
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 5:29pm PST 
Being a little brash seems common on the internet. I guess because many people find it easier to be such when no one can see who's typing. If I find myself getting an attitude, I just take a deep breath and remind myself that I'm speaking to another [i]person[/i]. Golden rule comes in handy there. Treat others as you yourself would want to be treated. If I want help, I want to get respectful, polite answers, wouldn't I? People who are rehashing what they've read are just trying to help. So, I give them the benefit of a doubt. I was like that at one point. I grew out of it as I grew up, and now I only post if I've had experience or at least know someone who has, so can be of some help. But sometimes, those people, get defensive when you ask for further help. I find it's often best to just skip the negative posts and move on.

There are some hot button issues where if you mention something once, no one reads the rest of your post and just jumps to answering. As you mentioned, tethering/chaining is one of them. I have family and friends who chain and tether (as in the red cords), but I myself don't. My two love bugs (Sandy and Sweeney) are perfectly content being indoor dogs. But I don't have a fenced in yard, so, those red cords help give them outside time when they're not being walked. They're only outside on them when I'm there to watch, and never for extended periods of time. But if I posted about that on certain sites, I'm likely to get accused of leaving them on chains all day. Because someone, somewhere would see "tether" and "outside" and stop reading there. They're trying to be helpful, but this is also the internet. And tone is hard to read.

I'm sorry you've had such bad experiences. I've found Dogster mostly helpful, though, in the almost six years I've been here. So, I hope you decide to stick around. Congrats on your Akita. They're truly beautiful dogs. Which, I admit, I have no experience with.
[notify]

Pooch ~ I- miss you ~

love forever

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 8:12pm PST 
I think tethering can be a very useful method for when you have a young puppy.

Tethering and tie-outs/chaining are two totally different things. Maybe they are confusing the two?
Tethering usually refers to using a leash to attach a puppy to a person while in the house, in order to keep a close eye on them (such as the "umbilical cord" method.)

A lot of people seem to have a black and white way of looking at things, so they will condemn a whole group or item without considering that it can be used in different ways, someof which can be bad but some may not be. For example people say they hate retractable leashes, or tie outs, crates, headcollars, etc...because these things can be misused or may not work well for all dogs. Personally I don't think it makes the item itself bad, it just needs to be used properly and in the right situations.

Edited by author Sat Feb 16, '13 8:15pm PST

[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 5:27pm PST 
Sonja big laughbig laughbig laughbig laugh
Well Guest, at least you found Dogster. I hope you find a better experience with us than you did elsewhere. I agree with Sonja, we would love to see your puppy pics. welcome
[notify]

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 1:34pm PST 
Wow... awesome. Awesome (most non-sarcastic awesome ever).

I have not come back to check this because I was worried that I was scared I'd get some of those same kind of responses (but now angrier because I dared point them out).

You guys rock. I am definitely going to make a profile so I can share some Koga pics!

And no- I don't think it's preachy just to get on protein content. There is a difference between caring about protein content and expecting people to spend more on dog food than on human food.

I understand they are mostly kids, people who are overly passionate or people who are just plain out of their minds. These are the kinds of people who think it's "cruel" if in the middle of a February blizzard I put on my coat and boats before I take the dog out because he has to wait another 15 seconds.

The best part is to the person who mentioned Yahoo! Answers... because that is EXACTLY who I was talking about smile

Loving Dogster. I think when I'm clockwatching tomorrow I'll make a profile and post some pics!
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 5:07pm PST 
Can't wait for the pics! big grin
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 9:52am PST 
I have to give kudos to Dogster for being a rather respectful open forum. One plus is that topics are keep within canine interests. The boards I've visited that allow completely open off topics tend to either have people flaming each other to ash or moderators merrily removing entire posts daily.

That said, yes their are alot of people with attitude, but the internet is like that. At my age Ifind it amazing that we have a medium that can connect obnoxious people worldwide into arging with each over dog food brands...happy dancehappy dance

Don't take things personally
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 9:44pm PST 
I'm a bit feisty but as someone so wisely put it, I'm about one bad hat away from being the crazy dog lady. I'm also old and crankylaugh out loud
All that said, welcome to Dogster. I look forward to seeing pics.
[notify]
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 6:41am PST 
I can't imagine tethering being a bad thing. I start all of my puppies tethered to my belt so they are closely supervised.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3