GO!

Dog characters in TV & movies

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Alva BH

I ordered the- best dog for me- & got her

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 3:17am PST 
Not all dogs chase squirrels/rabbits/cats/whatever small animal. Or Alva isn't a dog... Netta stopped chasing rabbits when she matured.

And yeah... they do have eyelashes. I have no experience about male dogs and their lashes. Our water dog mutt has long eyelashes, Alva and Netta (Tervueren) have less and shorter. I think it depends what kind of coat they have. Alva & Netta have short hair on their face so they have normal dog eyelashes, but Pipsa has long hair all over her body (if she isn't shaved) so her eyelashes are long too.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 4:28pm PST 
And not all dogs drool like a Hootch but still enjoyable...come to think of it Callie isn't squirrel crazy either...he'll chase cats until they dice his nose...but Sophie will run headfirst into a tree...and the squirrel will be chucklng above herway to go

A random question with the evil Disney...if Pluto and Goofy are both dogs, why is Pluto basically drawn as a pet dog, but Goofy wears clothes and speaks human?
[notify]
Stella

I'm from Broken- Bow, we don't- play that!

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 11:10pm PST 
That's true not all dogs chase cats, birds or other animals.

Look at Homeward Bound.

Now that I think about one reason I liked those movies so much was because it showed the dogs and cat behaving like they normally would at home minus from the talking part.

While looking on Netflix I came across an animated movie called Roadside Romeo, it was about a dog who once lived with wealthy owners and was later dumped on the streets in India after being left in the care of his owner's butler.

One of the things a viewer wasn't big on was that the dogs mostly walked upright on their hindlegs.

Granted dogs can stand and walk on their hindlegs but not for long periods of time like humans.

I was never big on movies or TV shows where in scenes when dogs and cats are around humans they walk on all fours but when they're alone they walk upright on two legs.

Anyone heard of Dog with a Blog?

It airs on Disney channel.

I sort of like the idea of a dog having his own blog since many people set up facebook and twitter accounts for their pets.

Even Uggie, the Jack Russell from The Artist has a fan page on facebook.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 10:49pm PST 
Dog characters in the movies do seem to be portrayed as humans with fur. The dogs have been given personified and it's weird. This is why we shouldn't always use movies as our dog guides because they are a work of fiction. If they do add in more true-to-life behaviors to dog characters, there will still be some furry human characteristics added in the mix.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 7:32am PST 
Movies, especially in the 80's, are the reason Dobermans are considered mean and vicious...

It irritated me because my parents got a lot of grief from the neighbors for our super well-behaved, super gentle Doberman. They said he's going to eat the kids (I was 7 years old then and I had a 4-year-old sister).
[notify]
Stella

I'm from Broken- Bow, we don't- play that!

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 12:44am PST 
That's messed up.

I've been around Dobermans before and they're nice dogs.

I had heard Rottweilers were mean but they're actually one of the sweetest breeds in the mastiff family.

I had wanted a husky because, yes I had seen a movie with them in it. Then when I learned just how energetic they were I changed my mind, though I have seen and met some pups that were very laid back. Still I notice huskies in films either have an american or french accent when they. I've hardly heard anyone doing a Russian accent since the breed orginated in Siberia.

One breed I noticed that gets stereo-typed are Poodles. They're often portrayed as been posh, snooty and having french accents. I've met a lot of poodles and they are actually a highly intelligent breed.

I met a standard poodle puppy about a month ago, very cute and friendly, she also got along well with other dogs. Also the Poodle's ancestors have been traced back to Germany, the french just made them famous.

There's a film called Mist the Story of a Sheepdog Puppy. The dogs do talk but the movie is shot in a documentary style, so the dogs behave like any normal working or pet dog. The border collies in the film all live on a farm in Scotland.

One thing though about movies or TV shows that have a dog show scene is that they have either 4 or 6 dogs competing for best in show. At a real show like Westminster or the AKC/Eukanuba tournement of champions, there'd be 7 dogs, one per group: Working, Herding, Sporting, Non-Sporting, Toy, Hound and Terrier.
[notify]
Colt

A cute little- devil.

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '13 5:31pm PST 
Since my dog is a Shetland sheepdog, the first character that comes to people's minds when they see him is Lassie big grin Which is why everyone thinks he must be a patient, calm, friendly female. Well, actually he's a boy, and somewhat aggressive towards strangers. shh

I haven't watched the Lassie movies in years, so I don't remember exactly how she behaved. If I remember correctly, she behaved very much like a real dog, but much smarter and more dedicated than most dogs. Don't quote me on that, though. Maybe I should re-watch those soon. way to go
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2