GO!

Anyone seen these documentaries?

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Stella

I'm from Broken- Bow, we don't- play that!

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 12:25pm PST 
Not to get into a long discussion about pet stores but I've met people who bought dogs from a pet store and various experiences, some good, some bad.

There's even an article about pet stores on smartmoney.com
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 3:30pm PST 
You can end up with a nice dog from a pet store...Toby was a very nice boy despite his health problems... however it does not make the pet store good, and it doesn't make the practice of selling dogs in a store front good, it doesn't make the situation for the parent dogs good, and it doesn't make buying and keeping these places (not to mention the huge puppy brokers like Hunte Corp) in businesses acceptable. Sorry...not something I will ever, ever budge on, so no discussion needed from me on that. wink I just want to see them all out of business. Good breeders don't sell to pet shops, period. We are getting there little by little...unfortunately, the side effect of that is that large scale facilities are just moving their wares online...

Edited by author Mon Nov 19, '12 3:33pm PST

[notify]
Stella

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 7:59pm PST 
True.

When I got my beagle she came down with kennel cough and had a parasite infection, which she was treated for.

At the time I didn't know about the puppymill/pet store case.

Needless to say, my dog turned out fine.

I looked up one of the dogs listed in her pedigree and found a photo of her grandfather(on her Dad's side) he's a handsome dog.
[notify]

Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 8:04pm PST 
I haven't seen those, and I have my Tivo set to automatically record any show with "Animal Planet Investigates" in the title so I guess it hasn't been shown lately... thinking
We used to have a Petland nearby but I think it lasted less than a year. I went in there sometimes to look at their hamsters because they had some interesting colors, and I always cringed when I saw people looking at the puppies...

There's a local small chain of stores around my area called "Happiness is Pets" that I wish would get shut down. The stores usually have a huge wall of puppy cages, so a lot of puppies for sale. frown
If you look them up "Happiness is Pets" on Google you can see the reputation they have. They even had a lawsuit against them for multiple puppies being sick/dying from distemper. Yet somehow they are still in business!
[notify]
Stella

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 8:39pm PST 
Yikes!

There's a 2 pet stores I know of that are like that.

The place where I got my dog actually went out of business about 4 years ago which I'm glad of.

Oh if you're looking for the Animal Planet Investigates Petland, check here:

http://foryourentertainment.blogspot.com/2010/05/animal-pla net-investigates-petland-full.html

Edited by author Tue Nov 20, '12 8:41pm PST

[notify]
Floppy

Did somebody say- car ride?!?!

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 4:28am PST 
I saw the PetLand one awhile ago and I don't have HBO anymore so I've been patiently waiting to see One Nation Under Dog. They are allowing people to pre-order it online, which I've done, so now it's just a waiting game. I'm really looking forward to seeing it.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 10:56am PST 
I think a pet store that sells puppies would flop here. To many educated college aged young people around and a good animal control facility. To many animal lovers and aware hippies around. There are many mom and pop pet stores in the area and none of them sell live animals other than crickets for reptiles. Even our animal listings on Craigslist are not that bad.

I bet if one tried to open there would be protests, I would be there to pester them for sure. When I was school aged I would go into pet stores and ask lots of questions about where the puppies come from and tell people about puppy mills. I would heckle them on the regular.
[notify]
Pooch ~ I- miss you ~

love forever

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 5:38pm PST 
There are protests here but the pet stores that sell puppies (well some of them) are still in business. They even have the organization The Puppymill Project that is based here in Chicago, they have organized many protests and helped to encourage some pet stores to close or to encourage renters not to renew the lease or not to let one open in their mall, but yet there are still quite a few stores in the area that sell puppies...

Edited by author Thu Nov 29, '12 5:39pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2