GO!

Anyone seen these documentaries?

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Stella

I'm from Broken- Bow, we don't- play that!

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 12:03pm PST 
Has anyone seen the documentaries, One Nation Under Dog and Animal Planet Investigates: Petland?

The first one came on HBO earlier this year and got a lot of press at the Tribecca film festival.

Saw it and I have to say it done really well but it was pretty sad.

Cried during a couple scenes, one in particular was a pair of beagles sitting in a kennel at a shelter.

The documentary was inspired by a book with the same name.

The animal planet investigates special was part of a mini series. I heard about the Petland in investigation in 2009 and after seeing this I would never get a dog from them. I'll go in and look at the puppies but that's about it.

Funny thing is one of the Petland stores near me was actually closed for a while when the case was going through the court system.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 1:45pm PST 
I watched it a while ago, so I don't quite remember the details, but I did write a review shortly after seeing it.

"This documentary gets an 8/10 for me because of the general message inside it that needs to be spread. The realistic side to shelters and what happens when you dump your dog.

However, many downfalls are in this film that I did not like. Instead of speaking of responsible dog ownership, it fell back on the ole just spay and neuter your pets campaign. Which, in hindsight, works for the ignorant viewer, but if you're making a professional film, put some thought into it.

The content was also a bit...mismatched. The beginning follows bite cases around the same dog and its owner, then jumps to a very short blip about a wealthy couple cloning their dog and then jumps to the shelter/rescue/euthanasia bit. What is their main goal here? They were all over the board with content. It was quite hard to understand what the main message was. So, as a whole piece, it's quite ugly.

But the general message that shelter dogs are in danger and the problem is not going away as things sit now is a powerful one that needs to be spread, regardless of production value. The sad thing is, being an HBO flick, the people who need to see this the most will never see it."
[notify]
Stella

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 8:24pm PST 
Yeah, I wasn't big on the whole spay/neuter bit. There are plenty of responsible owners who have unaltered dogs.

But you're right.

Most dog books, magazines and tv shows do encourage adoption but also support hobby breeders.

I heard about the woman who cloned her dog, which is absolutely crazy!

TLC did a TV special called 'I cloned my pet'
[notify]

Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 12:38pm PST 
Why is cloning so crazy? It's not that much different than the level of genetic manipulation that has gone into producing the vast majority of purebred dogs (cows, horses, too) that we see today. Most purebreds I care for there's no actual mating involved, they're all AI. There are litters resulting from males who have been dead for five years. Same for most of the cows and high-end horses. A friend of mine specializes in bull semen, flies all over and makes great money. I live near an agricultural uni that's top of the line when it comes to artificial breeding and genetics, it's an industry that's for sure. Anyhoo, next to that cloning doesn't seem all that far-fetched honestly.

I have a mixed breed that I absolutely adore. She's perfect for us in every way. There will never be another like her, she's a mutt after all, and they certainly are unique. I wouldn't ever support trying to create another one like her through intentional breeding. If I had unlimited dollars at my disposal, I really might consider it...for a few minutes before I smack myself, anyway. wink That kind of money could be better spent on building a dog sanctuary.

I did see the Petland one, but missed the other. It was interesting and at least highlighted the core of the issue.
[notify]
Stella

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 6:48pm PST 
I think one reason why people find cloning to be crazy is because of the expense. Another thing is clones often age faster and they don't live for long.

One group tried to clone an extinct species of mountain goat and the clone died seven minutes later because of breathing issues.

AI is different.

I came across a website called petshop puppies and found a long list of dogs with various health issues that were bought from different Petland stores.

It was scary.

Funny thing is before the 2009 investigation I had gone to a Petland looking for a puppy but I didn't buy one. My sister went there looking for a dog too but neither of us got one from them because the price tags were sky high. Now I've learned that Petland has a track record for selling sick dogs, I'm glad I didn't get a puppy from there.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 9:35pm PST 
There used to be a Petland not far from me...I remember going in there when I was younger and I fell in love with a Lhasa Apsa puppy. My parents were actually going to get it until they found out it was $500. I'm glad they didn't because soon after that we adopted a dog from the shelter that was 3 years old. She died at the age of 10 from health issues that developed in her senior years. My family has only ever rescued/adopted pets. Once I got a peek into the room behind where the puppies are displayed...cages stacked on cages with dogs in them. I quit going there at that point. It's so sad.
[notify]
Stella

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 2:35pm PST 
Wow, that's sad.

But 10 years is a good age for a dog to live to. My first dog lived to be 11 and she was mixed breed and a rescue. But likewise, health and old age took it's toll.

I have heard of petland stores in Canada who have partnered with shelters and sell puppies and kittens in their stores but I'm not sure how true it is.
[notify]
Archiebald- (RIP)

I Run This- Place!

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 7:06pm PST 
I have seen the one nation under dog documentary, and boy did that make me cry. cry
[notify]
Stella

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 9:31pm PST 
Yeah, I cried during a couple scenes in the One Nation Under dog documentary.

When they showed the pet loss therapy group in the Loss segment, had I known such therapy groups existed I would've more than likely tried to find one when my first dog passed away.

It was the one of the most devastating experiences of my life.
cry
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 11:21am PST 
It's not just Petland. I'm glad they got the exposure because they are such a huge chain, but there are still a lot of smaller pet shops that sell dogs and cats. They are all equally horrible, I really don't care what line they try to sell people. Reputable breeders do not sell their litters to stores who sell to just any Joe Schmo with a credit card that clears. They are all coming from mills or BYBs....I am glad to see there are generally less pet stores than there were 20 years ago, but wish the numbers would collapse a bit quicker. I was visiting home in MD last month and went to the mall with my mom -- I had forgotten there was still a pet store in the mall, I felt myself get physically ill when we walked by and saw the place jammed with people ogling over all the poor little mill puppies crammed in their crappy little cages. My aunt, who is a wonderful person, purchased a dog from this very shop about 8 years ago -- she "special ordered" a "Maltipoo" -- that should say something right there. Needless to say the dog, though a wonderful little guy, was riddled with severe back and disc issues his whole life until he had to be abruptly euthanized right before Christmas last year. Real quality breeding going on. I didn't have the heart to tell my aunt where little Toby's parents lived and the kind of lives they were condemned to so that people could "special order" puppies from mass breeding facilities....
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2