GO!

Winter coats/Sweaters for active short haired dogs.

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

Bruno

Barked: Tue Aug 28, '12 1:37pm PST 
Hello people of Dogster! I know this is a subject that most people don't agree upon, but my dogs wear coats and sweaters in the winter. Bruno more often than Zoey because he is as I lovingly call him a "naked mole rat". We live in MN and it gets very cold here,I'd rather have them look a little silly and still be able to go on walks/runs than be freezing and only be able to go potty and on a quick walk. I have had ones from drfostersmith for awhile and had planned on getting new ones last year but never got around to it.

So my question is which brand of coats look better? I at first was going to get ones from k9 apparel because they look warm, have a lot of great reviews, and have a lot of nice colors. But the only problem is the coats close with velcro and over time velcro does wear out and these are pretty expensive winter coats. I don't want to get a 100 dollar coat and in a year have to buy a new one because it won't stay shut. Then I found Chilly Dogs and they are around the same price range but close with buckles, the only bad thing is they have less colors and don't look nearly as warm as k9 apparel. Please help me choose, or maybe even recommend a brand you use. Thanks!

Chilly dogs: Great White North Winter Coat
http://www.chillydogs.ca/index.php/product/index/30

K9 apparel: Winter Coat
http://k9apparel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13 0_123&products_id=2726
[notify]
Bruno

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 10:53am PST 
Anyone? Did I post this in the wrong area?
[notify]
Miss- Scarlett

Pick me- up...please!

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 4:33pm PST 
Thought I left a post shrug

Anyway, I have found that layering works well for severe winter weather. Warm sweater of fleece under a wind break. Depends on how cold it gets where you are at. I don't know brands though.
[notify]

Grunt CGC

WWGD or What- Would Grunt Do?

Barked: Wed Aug 29, '12 8:34pm PST 
I just bought the Cloud Chaser coat from Ruff wear. They are waterproof and have a fleece lining. I wish there was a thicker fleece, but there is a plastic zipper down the side and its windproof and waterproof. It fits Grunt and Darcy well. I too do not like velcro. When it's 30 degrees or colder I don't want to see a coat dragging on the ground. So I prefer the slip over sweatshirts as to anything with velcro. Another place I thought about having coats made to fit (no velcro either) is Alpenhitze Coats. They can make them to fit any breed and they have Polartec (my favorite fabric in the winter) linings. We moved here from TX and had to adjust to the cold. So coats are a big deal to us and our short coated dogs.
way to goway to go
[notify]
Bruno

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 11:11am PST 
We decided on Chilly Dogs. They are really great quality and keep them warm. Here are some pictures.

Bruno

Bruno and Zoey

Zoey
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 12:24pm PST 
If I had weimerianers where I live, I would put coats on them. I put coats on my small short haired dog. The best one is the fleece, it is stretchy and fits great. Dogs with short coats like yours are not adapted for winter climates. Since I live in a winter climate I put coats on my short haired little dog.

Mine are all cheapo coats. I have family members who love to send my dog things. As a result my dog is well dressed in the winter. I choose water resistant fabrics like nylon, fleece, or acrylic sweaters. I like brightly colored ones so I can see my dog in the snow.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 8:57am PST 
They look really good in their new coats. Kashmir and Zoe have some cheep coats from Old Navy. For Christmas Im getting Kashmir a new sweater and coat from somewhere though.
[notify]