GO!

What do you guys think of puppia harnesses?

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Apr 29, '11 1:45am PST 
I've been looking for a nice harness for ages and then stumbled across this design, from a brand called puppia. The only problem is the sizing seems awful small so I will probably need to buy at least an Xlarge. I love the different colors, and hopefully it will be easy to put on. Has any other dogsters used these? Opinions?

Harnesses

Way Harness sits on dog

I think they're kinda sporty and cute!
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Apr 29, '11 4:23am PST 
I have been told that this type of harness can be very hot. Our local shop encourages people not to purchase them.
[notify]
Ava

Super Friendly- Aviator

Barked: Fri Apr 29, '11 8:30am PST 
I've used one for Ava when she was a puppy. It seems comfortable, but like Fritz said, that harness is like a sweater vest, and dogs can get pretty hot in them. Good for cold weather... bad for summer time. :/

Edited by author Fri Apr 29, '11 8:31am PST

[notify]

Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Fri Apr 29, '11 7:27pm PST 
I've heard of some issues with these harnesses, I think they were the straps slipping or getting stretched out and quality problems.

I like Gooby harnesses, which are similar in appearance and are good quality:
http://gbfsn.com/cart/index.php?cPath=20

The only problem with both Puppia and Gooby is the neck is not adjustable. I think Puppia makes or used to make a harness with an adjustable neck but I don't think they have them in sizes for large breeds.
I've seen a few other brands that have this but I don't know what sizes they come in either.
[notify]
Paris

support the- rabid

Barked: Fri Apr 29, '11 7:41pm PST 
I have a Four Paws harness for Paris which is basically the same thing. The straps do slip pretty easily, and I do have to negotiate her head through the opening. Also, the D ring is attached to the part that goes around the neck so it still puts pressure on it if the dog pulls. To compare, a roman style harness has the D ring attached farther back to the strap that goes behind the legs which distributes pressure across the chest more evenly. A step in style harness just goes around the ribcage and nowhere near the neck.

[edited to change author]

Edited by author Fri Apr 29, '11 7:51pm PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed May 4, '11 12:35am PST 
Thanks for the advice guys - as it gets very hot here and the pressure will not be distributed correctly I think I will consider something else. I like the roman ones but he just struggles with me so dang much when I try to put on on, and I'm not very good at working out which end is which on these to begin with which doesn't help the situation - I think I will just get him fitted at the store and they can show me the easiest way to put it on him. He's just such a wriggler! Thanks again people!!!
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Wed May 4, '11 1:30pm PST 
I have a Puppia for Kit that I used exclusively on him for about 2 years. It's still in excellent shape, despite all the use we got out of it and a few trips through the washer and drier. I never had any problems using it in the hot weather, even in the heat of the summer Kit would run around with it on at the park and be fine.

I recently (like literally last week) got him a new Lupine roman harness to go with his collar and leash, and even though we like that one too I still keep his old Puppia as a back up harness. We haven't gotten to the hottest part of the year here yet but so far I haven't noticed him acting any different temperature wise in the Lupine than he did with the Puppia. He did partially slip out of the Lupine harness on one occasion so far, which is something that never happened a single time in his Puppia harness. The straps on our new Lupine slip around WAY more than they did on the Puppia and the D ring on the Puppia is not on the neck part, it's further down the back a bit. The part that goes around the neck rests more on the chest than the neck so it's not suppose to put any pressure on the neck. Kit is wearing his over a tshirt in his main picture - I don't know if you can see it well but it might give you a better idea where the harness sits and where the D ring falls. I might have other pictures of him on here wearing it too, I'm not sure.

I would personally recommend them. I'm sure I'll buy them again for any future dogs, or if Kit's ever wears out. But I haven't had any of the problems with ours that people have reported - he seems fine in it in all weather and it never distorted/stretched out and it's a very secure harness for our dog. They seem very durable to me - or at least the one we have is.

Edited by author Wed May 4, '11 1:37pm PST

[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Wed May 4, '11 5:23pm PST 
Missy has a pink polka dot Puppia harness as you can see here. She'd got it all wet and mucky in that shot laugh out loud She doesn't wear it all the time but when she wore it more regularly it definitely helped stopped her pulling and was sturdy and easy to put on. However, not sure they would come in Jackson's size as Puppia is generally geared to the smaller dog.
[notify]
Bingley,- Emmett &- Martika

Little Ewoks

Barked: Thu May 5, '11 4:10pm PST 
Puppia seems well made, but for my boys they ride too high on them... if they tug at all they are gasping for air. And they are a bit hot, they just aren't breathable when it gets hot out. I switched to Buddy Belts and love them. They are pricey, but only needed to buy one for each dog. I bought Bingley his when he was 11 months old, and he's now turning 3 and it's still in great shape, I'll be surprised if I ever need to buy him another harness. Emmett just got his about a month ago. Very happy with them puppy
[notify]
Paris

support the- rabid

Barked: Thu May 5, '11 6:28pm PST 
Bingley, maybe that's the problem with Paris's harness. I was pretty disappointed when I saw that it tugged at her throat. She has a pic in her profile wearing it.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2