GO!

Hachiko Movie concerns for the Akita Breed and Shiba Inu Bread

This Forum is to bark about the very latest and greatest in the dog world: canine news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; dog-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Dogster, please contact us.

Ginger

Call me Shiba- Holmes, ill find- anything!

Barked: Tue Feb 17, '09 2:27pm PST 
Hi everyone, I posted this in the Shiba Forum expressing my concerns but excitement for this future movie coming out this year. I will just post again what I said. its a long entry so please be patient, there is a nice you tube link to watch too.

Link: http://www.dogster.com/forums/shiba_inu/thread/597849

Quote:
Mom is gonna type this out so im gonna sit by and play with my loofa dog while she rudely hogs the computer.

hey guys I was watching Dog 101 last night (disappointed they have no episodes about shiba inu's) and I was looking thru the guide and saw they had one about Akitas, so since our little shibas are supposed to be so closely related but in a compact size I decided to watch it.

I found it interesting how they mentioned this story about this adorable Akita who was so loyal to his owner in Japan. I am not sure if you all know the story but in short summary its about an Akita and his owner who was a college professor at Tokyo University. The professor took in the akita as a pup and they grew an insanely close bond. Every day the akita would walk the professor to the train station, leave, then come back waiting for his owner to return at the train station. One day the owner died of a stroke at work and ever since the Akita would wait everyday for the next 10 years of his life at the station, until he finally couldnt live any longer and passed away at the station.

His story had such an impact on Japan that they have a statue of him in a court yard and once a year in April they celebrate his loyalty and love for his owner. It was made a movie once before in Japan and I watched a little video of it on youtube and just started to cry. here is the link for those who wish to see this short on the original movie in Japan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3s11acb7Z8

Anyways to get to my point I am extremely excited to see this movie because I am such a sap for these movies (like Marley and Me). It is disappointing how it will be filmed in America and not Japan but that isnt what concerns me with this movie coming out. its the fact that there will be such a popularity of the Akita breed and the unexpecting owners not realizing how hard it will be to take care of one thinking it will be just ask good as the Akita in the movie.

But I have an even BIGGER concern....what if people learn about the smaller more easily to handle but just as difficult Shiba Inu. Its no Akita like the movie, but they look the same but smaller. Just what us Americans love, our small breed dogs. I fear both our breed and the Akita breed will have an over abundance in demand, and instead of that want in the form of rescuing our beloved animals, they will all go out, find puppies, then realize they cant handle them and dump them at shelters or rescues (if they are so lucky to get into a rescue)

I know that was a long post but does anyone else fear of this possibility? I did read they will put a disclaimer at the end of the movie stating to look into the AKC for the breed before adopting, but who honestly reads that at the end of a movie, and knowing hollywood they will put that at the end of the credits, not before.

I pray for the Akitas in the future.
[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Thu Feb 19, '09 7:05am PST 
These fears are expressed whenever a new animal movie comes out with a purebred dog. It happened with 101 Dalmatians, and it happened with Marley and Me. Heck, I even saw an increase in our hamster sales when Bolt came out (I work at a petstore). The best thing we can do is educate people about the breed when they mention the movie. We can only hope that the producers add a disclaimer to the movie about the breed.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Tue Mar 24, '09 8:45am PST 
I used to live in Japan and have actually read the book, it's a tear jerker! But VERY good, I cannot wait for this movie to come out. Hubby and I were considering an Akita before we got Tanuk, and after my husband being around them more we know that's our next doggy. I don't know what studio is making it, but considering the story I feel like they will handle it tastefully. It would be a tragedy if people ran out and got Akitas, and I could see people and animals getting hurt because of it. But, that's a risk with just about any movie - they all have the potential to be a bad influence, you just need to be smart and educated about it.

Yay for Hachiko! snoopy
[notify]

Noah

Professional Toy- De-stuffer

Barked: Tue Mar 24, '09 11:19am PST 
I agree with you on that one, it's a concern for the quality of the breed as well as the quality of care. I have a family member that decided to get...not one...but TWO shiba inus without really knowing what they are like. Not only have they chased those dogs all over town trying to catch them, but both of them are pretty badly behaved and aggressive. Shiba Inu's definitely ARE NOT for everyone.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Wed Mar 25, '09 2:12pm PST 
BOL, I cannot even imagine a typical family with a Shiba, let alone an Akita!
[notify]
Talker

Talk of the- Town!

Barked: Fri Mar 27, '09 9:06pm PST 
I hear you and the concerns you raise are valid. It does happen whenever there is a dog movie out.

I wish people were more thoughtful and less ignorant when it comes to choosing a dog. The Akita is a powerful breed and needs someone with a good understanding of the breed.

Basenjis are also one of those dogs that people automatically think because they don't bark, they're the dog for them. But as you know, ancient breeds are more headstrong, powerful and stubborn.

I'm looking forward to the movie and I hope we all do our part in educating people around us about the breed. Hopefully we won't see careless owners getting in over their heads and then having a flux of Akita in rescues.

Talker, who is keeping a low profile.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 12:09am PST 
oh no!!!! i just bought an Akita because i was so moved by this movie!!!...oh noooo!

Edited by author Mon Dec 17, '12 2:32pm PST

Approved by forums moderator