GO!

Just curious?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Aug 13, '13 4:24am PST 
With all the police shootings of dogs lately, can't they invent (maybe they already have it) a stun-gun for dogs? I would rather have my dog stunned, than killed for doing their job by barking/biting what they perceive as intruders. thinking
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Tue Aug 13, '13 8:08am PST 
I hear ya Kali!!!!
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Tue Aug 13, '13 8:30am PST 
Tasers. They look like bright yellow guns and the officers shoot the stun gun prongs at the target from a distance. Some of them can reach hundreds of feet. They could easily avert a dog attack, since the dog is not injured in the process and many dogs who want to fight will give up after the powerful shock if they think they will get killed if the fight continues.

Police also carry pepper spray infused with tear gas. It causes not only irritation of the eyes but also extreme irritation of the respiratory system to the point where the "victim" feels like they can't breathe and is physically unable to run or fight. It can incapacitate virtually any human, even ones that are mentally unsound and bent on getting to the sprayer no matter what. With how sensitive dogs' respiratory systems are, they would be even more strongly affected by the spray. It could injure the dog, but is unlikely to be lethal unless it's a tiny dog, very brachycephalic, or already sick/weak. The same stuff in an even higher concentration is used as bear deterrent spray. I keep one by my side whenever I go camping.

Both items are designed for humans as large as the biggest of dogs and are not meant to be lethal. Could they kill a dog with these items? Yes, but it isn't likely. And both these items would send most dogs running and hiding.

Police have options, but many just pull out the gun way too soon.

Most of the downright absurd killings seem to be at the hands of city police versus rural police. The city people may not have much experience with dogs and are likely mildly phobic whereas the rural officers had to deal with dogs running loose as kids and therefore understand some dog behavior. I know even among non-officers, my inner-city friends are terrified of pitbulls and other "scary" breeds while my more rural friends and I (who grew up in a semi-rural/suburban patchwork of a town) are more dog-saavy and therefore only fear dogs with suspicious behavior. Notice how none of the offending officers seem to have a pet dog at home, either.
[notify]

Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Aug 13, '13 6:33pm PST 
Thanks Mika & Clyde. I really think they need to incorporate some kind of training for pets, since there are close to 80 million dogs in US households. It seems to me that it would be common sense, since the police come into contact with protective dogs on a daily basis. I worry when I have my dogs in the car. I've been stopped before because the cops were looking for someone else driving a car like mine. I have my dogs in the car a lot. I've gone over and over in my head, what I should do/say if that happens, with them in the car. I'm not sure about Kali, but Koby would go crazy. I do have them secured in the back. frown
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Aug 13, '13 11:17pm PST 
I almost agree with Clyde, except many `officers serving in rural areas grew up in cities. I know for a fact that there have been incidents where dogs were tazed and they kept right on coming.
Remember to that the police have a split second to react, and often the dogs are a 'bonus' in the situation. When an officer is holding a gun on a potentially dangerous person and suddenly there's a dog coming at them they can't really switch weapons. I believe with training they could make better choices though in many cases. Often a sharp 'down' or 'no' will stop a dog. One of my favorite ways to deal with loose dogs that charge is 'go lay down!' or the always popular 'want a cookie?'
Keep in mind to that many of these dogs are owned by less then stellar people unfortunately.
I worry about my dogs all the time, especially Bud who would fight to the death to defend Sabs. And poor little Shadow could do anything under stress. With any luck she would just bring them her Frisbee. I wish we didn't have to think about these things, but with crime rates and addiction issues climbing daily I guess it's just a fact of life.
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Wed Aug 14, '13 3:43am PST 
You brought up a good point Sabi. One time when I was a kid, I was riding my horse and a Husky came out of no where and started chasing us. I yelled out a mean "Sit and Stay!" And wouldn't you know it, the dog sat and stayed. I was completely surprised. Maybe that would be an option for the police at least before they shoot. thinking
[notify]

Barked: Wed Aug 14, '13 10:45am PST 
I'm on the fence on this one, let me explain: First of all, there are tasers that can be used but most of the time it seems as though they are not being used enough. I think a taser with obviously less voltage than the ones used on humans should be the first response to an aggressive dog. However, I think once the dog attacks someone, especially seriously, they are usually put down, so keeping it alive only until it has to be put down may not be the right answer either. Good post!

Val
www.puppyset.com
[notify]
Sarge

Teddybear

Barked: Wed Aug 14, '13 11:13am PST 
One problem with tasers is you only have one shot to shoot it at one and if one of the probes don't stick then it's useless unless you try and do a contact stun (which I wouldn't want to be that close to a vicious dog) which isn't actually a stun at that point but it's a pain compliance unless they can pop another cartridge on quickly enough. Also with a pepper spray can end up getting you instead if there is the slightest breeze and then you'd be practically blinded while you have a dangerous dog attacking you. Not saying these methods shouldn't be used but just saying that it may not be possible to always use.
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Thu Aug 15, '13 9:46am PST 
Sabi, that is interesting about city people being rural officers... Where I live, almost all the police in rural areas are originally from that area or one similar to it. And I personally know a good number of local officers from a wide range of agencies. Maybe the dynamics are a little different between our counties.

Sarge, I was aware that tasers and guns don't always work. In my opinion, an officer should handle dogs more like people: just try to avoid shooting the firearm when reasonably possible.

There are plenty of people who get tazed and still keep charging. In my opinion, whether it is a human or a dog, if the target shrugs off the taser and keeps charging at the officer, the police are perfectly justified in killing at that point. What I don't like is when an officer with the best opportunity to use his/her less-than-lethal weapons to subdue a dog skips the less-lethal steps and just goes straight to unloading their whole gun on the poor thing. I wouldn't approve treatment of humans like that by any means, either.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Fri Sep 6, '13 9:49pm PST 
I know that's one thing I am afraid of: having to call 911 and not being able to get to Angel so she won't freak out and possibly bite an officer, firefighter, paramedic, etc. She will defend her house, her yard, and herself if she thinks there's a threat.
[notify]