GO!

Police climb in window and shoot 2 dogs

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Dyno

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 9:41am PST 
Police climb in innocent families windows and shoot two dogs, video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3w--L37mnu0
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 10:24am PST 
Ugh, just awful!
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Aug 8, '13 12:15pm PST 
August 7, 2013

According to an August 7 report by WTSP, Escambia County police officers entered a Warrington, Florida home on August 2 and shot the two family dogs.

At least half a dozen Escambia police department officers responded to a call at the Flynn Drive residence of Cristina Moses and her fiancé Travis Nicholas because of an incident earlier in the evening.

A man had gotten into a fight with his girlfriend and her father. Wayde Morris had come at the man and his daughter with a machete and a bat. He was arrested on aggravated assault and remains at the Escambia County jail on $10,000 bond.

During the argument, a man in a gray tank top whom witnesses identified as"Travis" came by and began waiving a gun saying

"I will splatter your brains on the sidewalk."

Later that night, at around 10:30 pm, Escambia County officers had followed the trail to the residence. After officers failed to get Cristina and Travis to the door at their Flynn Drive residence, one of the officers saw a bucket under a window while checking the perimeter of the home.

This is how the police decided to use it to gain entry to the home. Police feared the family was in danger and needed to locate the suspect before "Travis" put the family in danger.

According to the sheriffs news release

"Upon encountering the people in the house, the dogs became aggressive. One dog bit at one of the deputy's leg. He pushed the dog away, but it came at him again so he shot the dog in self-defense, at which time the second dog began to run towards him. For his personal safety, he shot the second dog."

Gracie, a 13-month old pit bull, had to be euthanized on Monday. A three-year-old bulldog mix named Rocky is recovering at home.

As for Travis being the person witnesses saw, he denies having a gun or being at the scene. The couple tell of how police entered their home and how they were awakened to find six armed officers with flashlights standing over them.

Travis was in his boxer shorts, so it was clear he wasn't armed. Police allegedly threw the couple to the ground, where they handcuffed Travis. Then police put their boots on the couples backs and arms.

Travis could see into the bedroom, where he watched officers shooting at the dogs from across the bed. At least five shots were fired inside the home. The couple was then taken outside and placed on the curb.

Cristina was put in the back of a police car for over an hour because she "wouldn't shut up." When interviewed by WTSP, Cristina said

"All I did was keep asking if they could tell me what happened to my dogs. All they said was 'We'll take care of that later.'"

Travis suffered a hand injury during the incident, and paramedics came to their home to treat it.

Police then took both dogs to the vet.

Under the law, officers can enter a house without a search warrant, or under so-called exigent circumstances, only if they think people are in imminent danger, evidence faces immediate destruction or a suspect will escape.

The incident is under investigation by the Escambia County Sheriffs Department and no further details have been made available. As of today, neither Cristina nor Travis have been arrested of any crime.
Examiner.com

A 2 second google search will reveal that Cristina Moses has an arrest record for drug/paraphernalia possession from last year and is actual out on bail.
And Travis is currently on probation and has active warrants out of Houston for possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.
Not saying that makes it right but if you are going to tell a story tell the whole story. The police may not have had a warrant but perhaps they had cause

shrug
[notify]

Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Tue Aug 13, '13 4:19am PST 
Sabi, thanks for posting the entire story. I feel bad for the dogs......... I can guarantee that Jax would have tried to bite the officers, so she would have been shot and Koby? He's tried to bite before. He probably would be shot. Kali does "a lot" of barking and backing up. Not quite sure what would happen to her. It's an unfortunate thing that happened. The dogs were doing their jobs. shrug It's a shame the dogs were owned by 2 "not so up-standing citizens". frown
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Aug 13, '13 9:06am PST 
Jax, that's the sad part. Our dogs do what comes natural, they defend their homes and families. It's what we expect and we never stop to think that the act of protecting us could cost them dearly.
I believe that police officers across the board should have training in dealing with furry family members. It would reduce incidents like this. But I cannot say that ANY police officer should wait until they have actually been injured to react. We pay these men and woman to put themselves in the line of fire to defend our homes, our rights and our persons. In essence our dogs do the same job. When people abuse that, someone pays.
We also need to always keep in mind that the media is in the business of selling headlines. More often then not, the story they publish is only a small piece of the picture.
In this particular case the officers had every reason to believe they were dealing with an armed and volatile person who may or may not be under the influence. A barking, seemingly aggressive animal is a dangerous distraction at the least. For all they knew the gun was within reach.
[notify]
Dylan &- Grace& Bryce

trouble X 3

Barked: Thu Sep 5, '13 5:03pm PST 
bryce would get shot. he barks, and looks aggressive, but he is all bark and no bite. but at 100 pounds? it would come down to if the cop would be scared of a blue merle collie. Dylan would be happy to see them and bring them a toy.grace would be barking her fool head off, but would be running away from them.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Fri Sep 6, '13 9:39pm PST 
Angel probably would have been shot as well, as she doesn't like people coming around the house that she doesn't know. Even people that have been around have to be careful and not sneak up on her. Poor dogs...I hope the bulldog mix pulls through okay and RIP Gracie!
[notify]
Delta

Play hard, sleep- well.

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 7:26pm PST 
What Sabi said. Grrrr....

Delta would've been shot, she likes to scare the heck out of people who wander onto our property uninvited.
[notify]