GO!

POTP needed for Amanda Bines' pomeranian, disgusting...

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 37)  
1  2  3  4  
Fox

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 10:36am PST 
But "where you're coming from" is completely irrelevant, because the person in question is mentally ill.

That's like walking into a support group for glandular-related obesity and lecturing the participants for not watching what they eat. Yes, people should make healthy choices, but it's irrelevant to the topic at hand and offensive to bring it up.
[notify]
DandiLion

:D

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 7:09pm PST 
"Yes, people should make healthy choices, but it's irrelevant to the topic at hand and offensive to bring it up."

Exactly this.

What it comes across as is you're blaming this kid for being mentally ill. Blaming ANYONE for being mentally ill is ridiculous, offensive and downright stupid. You can't tell someone 'you should have made better choices, you wouldn't be facing a life time of struggling with a mental illness if you made better choices as a kid and young adult'.

Does that really make any sense?

Edited by author Tue Oct 22, '13 7:14pm PST

[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 9:13pm PST 
Fox hail You said it much more succinctly than I could.
[notify]

Twister

forever loved

Barked: Fri Nov 1, '13 10:16am PST 
Just noticed the last few posts, but it's ridiculous that ya'll think I for one would blame someone for being mentally ill, that is not what I said at all. I think some words/meanings have been twisted around a bit. It's hard to really convey what you mean on a faceless online forum. I think the forum took a turn from talking about the person originally to mentioned to just talking about people making choices in general, not any specific person or group of people. That's all I'm saying. I'm done with this thread if ya'll want to keep twisting words around and getting offended if someone doesn't have the same opinion as you.

Edited by author Fri Nov 1, '13 10:23am PST

[notify]
Fox

Barked: Sun Nov 10, '13 8:18pm PST 
I just read the entire topic over again to see if I missed something. I'm pretty sure I did not. After the first few posts, the whole topic is about mental illness. The OP could have backed off and acknowledged Ms Bine's mental illness, as it seems the OP was not aware of it when the OP started this topic. Instead the OP attempted to back pedal by saying that people need to take responsibility for their actions. When called out on that statement, the OP added a disclaimer for the mentally ill.

The thing is, there is no context in which that is not offensive. Mental illnesses are not something you choose, and psychotic breaks are not something you can control as they are happening. That is not an opinion. That is well researched medical fact. A discussion about a person who is mentally ill is not a place to have discussion about the choices made by people who are not mentally ill. See my previous point about glandular-related obesity.

I mean, really...
"Ew, you guys are all so disgustingly fat. What gives? Don't you know any better? I hope you don't have pets or any responsibilities because you're clearly not fit to care for anyone."
"Um, we have a glandular disorder that makes it difficult or impossible to control our weight."
"Well yeah, but really, fat people need to make better life choices."
"We do, but it doesn't make a difference in our weight, because of the glandular disorder."
"I know, not you guys, just people in general."

Completely, totally, wildly offensive, right?

That's what this topic is.
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Thu Dec 19, '13 3:52pm PST 
I don't think you guys understand how mental illnesses work. You aren't just going to develop a mental illness because you're in a stressful environment.

So much this.

Some people do, sure. But it is because of a genetic predisposition. It has recently been decided that the age old question "Nature or nurture" has an answer: Both. Yes, many celebrities develop mental illnesses. But there are many more (perhaps more) that do not. Of course, the media doesn't target them as often. Because that just wouldn't be interesting to the general populous would it? (NOne of it interests me. I'd rather keep track of my own life) Many normal people develop mental illness, too. But we don't make the news (bipolar II wink ).

People predisposed will handle a stressful environment differently than someone who is not. That and environment and situations are experienced differently by everyone. This is why siblings - both raised in the same environment - are usually very different, and why one might have a mental illness and one might not. No one chooses to be mentally ill. I speak from experience, it is not fun. Schizophrenia is one of the most misunderstood, and many people feel like it is a life sentence when they are diagnosed. It shouldn't have to be, and they shouldn't have to feel like that. But they do. I'm not saying anyone here has bashed Amanda Bynes (or anyone) for having one, just trying to explain it in psych major terms (but probably failing as I don't articulate well).

I love dogs. For me, they are therapeutic. Having them around has really helped me, aided me, provided me comfort where I could not find any of it. But I am capable of handling them and taking care of them. As many of us are. In Amanda's case, it might not be wrong to question whether she can or cannot. But it is not up to us to decide. I know she did not intentionally douse her Pomeranian. What concerns me is the fact that the dog was doused at all. I just hope Amanda is doing okay now. I don't keep up with the media, so I don't know.
[notify]
Pandora

Barked: Thu Jan 23, '14 6:31am PST 
Were you there? Did you see it? No. Then mind your own beeswax. Don't believe everything you read, especially in magazines that are notorious for making up lies to sell copies.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 37)  
1  2  3  4