GO!

POTP needed for Amanda Bines' pomeranian, disgusting...

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Oct 11, '13 3:34pm PST 
Sadly, I can see the same problmes starting up with Justin B, and Miley C. Those poor kids are expected to be adults AND kids at the same time in a world when making news is critical to their success and the way to make news is by shocking actions. There is no way they can grow up "normal", IMO.
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Sat Oct 12, '13 6:41pm PST 
I agree that the media needs to leave celebrities alone, but IMO they can't keep putting all the blame on Hollywood and the tabloids. These people need to take some responsibility for their own actions and realize they can make better choices. Not very many dogsters know this about me but I'm pretty successful in my home town. I did piano from a very young age and started singing when I was in HS, and so I've been in the spotlight before, and I'm sure I still have lots of followers, but I would never dream of doing anything crazy like some of these celebrities in a million years. I'm just not an attention seeker. =)
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Oct 12, '13 9:34pm PST 
It seems rather unlikely she consciously chose to develop schizophrenia, or any other mental illness, for attention shrug
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Oct 13, '13 4:55am PST 
No, Onyx, I didn't expect she developed it for attention. I just meant that all that stuff they do for attention isn't helping their mental state... can certainly be causing more stress and contributing to if not leading to the ultimate break.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Oct 13, '13 10:53am PST 
No, I was agreeing with you, Toto wink There's probably a genetic propensity which combined with a highly stressful environment causes the issues we see. I was referring more to Yoshi's comment that any celebrity who does anything strange is doing it for media attention and should just choose to behave better. If she had a break with reality, which it sounds like she has multiple times, it's doubtful being in the news was on her agenda at that moment. Pressure to stay popular could, and probably did, help to get her there, so as you say, Toto, it's not surprising we're seeing this in former child stars her age.

Edited by author Sun Oct 13, '13 11:37am PST

[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Sun Oct 13, '13 5:10pm PST 
I'm not even talking about her specifically anymore. I'm talking about celebrities in general. Stars are people just like us, and I believe they are capable of making better choices. Therefore the media and Hollywood shouldn't get all the blame.
[notify]
DandiLion

:D

Barked: Wed Oct 16, '13 9:16pm PST 
I don't think you guys understand how mental illnesses work. You aren't just going to develop a mental illness because you're in a stressful environment. Yes it can make things already there worse, but whether they were a celebrity or not, they probably would have developed the same mental illness.

Because mental illness isn't about being a celebrity. It's about being sick. That's like saying 'oh that celebrity is just physically sick for attention. they should have made better life choices.' No. That isn't how it works.

The amount of ignorance and stigma on this forum is disgusting.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Oct 16, '13 10:38pm PST 
Environment does play a large role in many mental illnesses, and stress/anxiety is generally considered to be a major environmental factor in a lot of mental illnesses. People who develop a mental illness often have a genetic predisposition, but the relationships between nature and nurture are so complex that it's nearly always impossible to say how much and in what ways each contributed, schizophrenia being a prime example. Every environment is stressful, just to varying degrees, and the effects of genetics/biology are multiplex and far from completely understood, so the causes of most mental illnesses are anything but one dimensional and easy to define.

Would she have developed schizophrenia (if that is indeed her diagnosis, I haven't kept up with the story myself) were she not a celebrity? Maybe and maybe not, there's no way to know. The only person I've seen in this thread implying celebrities, and people in general, are always in control of their actions and therefore capable of making "better choices" is the OP.

Edited by author Thu Oct 17, '13 12:41am PST

[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Fri Oct 18, '13 8:06am PST 
If they have a mental or medical condition that is one thing, but the OP has a point that people (in general, celebrity or not...again, NOT including someone with a medical issue that limits their ability for rational thinking) DO have a personal responsibility for their actions. I also do think stress can be a factor in break-downs. Just my 2 cents.puppy
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 6:18am PST 
Thanks Twister. Finally somebody who sees where I'm coming from. =)
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4