GO!

Help with neighbors little dog

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Samson

Can I have some?

Barked: Sun Jun 30, '13 7:29am PST 
I am looking for advice for help with a neighbors little dog. We live in kind of a rural area and it is not uncommon for dogs to get loose and run. We have a fenced in yard and was dog sitting for a friend for a few weeks (our Samson passed away last November and we still have the dog door and our whole back yard is fenced).

Recently, last few weeks, our neighbors cute little chihuahua mix has been coming for a visit. I haven't wanted another dog since Samson passed, but the first time this little guy came into our yard I fell in love. One day he got loose and was at our house for 12 hours before we walked him back to their house. We have offered to take the dog, and even buy him if they wanted to pass him on. They had received him as part of a daughters divorce or something. They said no as he barks and keeps the other dogs away, we couldn't believe they would be using him for that.

He does not seem abused, but every time they let him off his leash he immediately comes to our house. I have started to leave the gate partially open so he can get in, which he did this morning. The wife came down and was calling for him so my husband took him out to her. She dragged him by the collar to the car and he mentioned that she was choking him. She snapped at him that it was her dog and left in a huff.

The dog obviously likes us and comes to us with no coaxing, and is always hesitant to go back to them. I am not sure what to do, I could take him to the stray center, but feel awful about him having to spend any time away from home. We are done dog sitting, but he still wants to be here. He will run in the open gate, through the open sliding door, and right into our arms and whimper like he missed us. It breaks my heart to watch her take him back. I also think the more hesitant he is going back the angrier she gets.

The husband is really nice and I don't want any bad feelings with neighbors, but I really don't think that dog wants to be there. Any ideas or thoughts would be welcome on what we should do.
Thanks.
[notify]
Samson

Can I have some?

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 4:23am PST 
We have decided that next time the little dog shows up we are taking him to the Stray Center. I researched Michigan dog laws and seriously doubt they have him registered and he usually doesn't have a collar on. If he is not registered and is not tagged, they only need to hold him for 4-7 days before he can be adopted out. Our hope is they won't call the stray center and after a week he can be adopted out, maybe by us.

We have not seen him since the last incident, so I am guessing they are keeping him kenneled now. Such a shame for a dog with so much energy to burn, all that is going to do is cause behavior problems. All we can do is hope for the best.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 6:30am PST 
sorry for your loss of beautiful Samson. And I hope things work out with you and the little dog. I would tell the agreeable husband that if the dog is ever a problem, to remember you want it.

the very agreeable Socks and Sully family was in a similar situation with Socks for many years. I'll look for their page and link to you...they would probably give good advice. Socks belonged to the neighbor, but eventually came to live with them.

visit them here: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/752866

Edited by author Wed Jul 3, '13 6:35am PST

[notify]

Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 2:54pm PST 
Sully and Socks have no Internet access right now and wont have for some time... so you cant contact them.

Just letting you know.

Also.. it was actually a different situation.. Socks was being continually abused.. and then the owner died.. the family didnt still want to assist... .. was a different situ to yours.

But.. just to let you know.. they wont be able to contact as they havent Internet for now

Edited by author Wed Jul 3, '13 3:09pm PST

[notify]
Samson

Can I have some?

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 6:02am PST 
Thanks for the response. We still haven't seen him but I keep hope up that he will run into the yard any day. I guess I don't understand why the wife has been treating us so rudely, we are not going to their house and taking him, he is coming to us. She should be thankful we are keeping him off the road.

I don't believe he is physically abused, only neglected. They always say the dog picks you and I feel he really did pick us, I have only ever felt that kind of connection with Samson. He would fit right into our little home and I wouldn't leave him chained up or kenneled, he would be going with us to explore. I am just going to have to be patient on this one.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 1:31pm PST 
hughughughughughug

Just hang in there.

Sometimes people are rude from bad concience and guilt.

Hoping maybe that is the case and the little one is getting a better deal now the wife has maybe had a wake up call.

Just keep your eyes open.,.. see how things go.

hughughug
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Sat Jul 6, '13 6:39am PST 
Thanks for the update Flicka. I knew the situation was somewhat different, but still thought that they could advise on how to "stake a claim."
[notify]
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Sat Jul 6, '13 9:03am PST 
This is very similar to what I went through with one of my neighbors. I wrote a forum about it http://www.dogster.com/forums/Behavior_and_Training/thread/773893

It is very frustrating, try an approach them with concern for the dog like "I saw him running across the street today and he almost got hit, i would hate for him to get hurt while out running. Since he is so small people might not be able to see him when driving" or something along those lines...Good luck
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Sep 29, '13 8:14am PST 
Samson, has your little dog come back? I hope he is okay.
[notify]