GO!

officer kills 4 month old pit bull

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Dyno

Barked: Mon May 20, '13 12:35pm PST 
Off duty officer kills 4 month old pit bull puppy here is the story
http://www.examiner.com/article/off-duty-officer-shoots-and-kills- pit-bull-puppy-chicago

"A four-month old puppy was shot and killed by an off-duty Chicago, Ill., police officer on Friday afternoon, and the puppy's owner is disputing the officer's recount of what took place, reported Sunday's CBS Chicago.
The man who shot the puppy, a pit bull, lives near the home where the puppy was shot and killed. He claims that he was walking with his son, who was riding a bike, and the pup charged them.

The man, an eight year veteran of the force, shot the 35 pound puppy eight times.

The puppy's guardian, Samantha Maglaya, claims that there was no child in sight, and her puppy was not aggressive, telling NBC Chicago:

He would sit in the yard and listen to the birds. He didn't even bark. He never growled,

He was the biggest baby.

Maglaya describes the moment just after the puppy, Maximus, was shot:

I ran to my dog and my kids were standing all around him screaming and crying,

Though the puppy was rushed to a veterinarian, he could not be saved.

Though the off-duty officer defends his actions, stating that the puppy charged his son, Maglaya disputes what took place, stating:

There was no son there. The whole time I was holding my dog and he was bleeding all over us and the kids are screaming and crying, his son was not there.

Neighbors support Maglaya's version; they have stated that the little boy was more than a block away and that the puppy never made a sound.

The incident is being investigated."
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Mon May 20, '13 1:00pm PST 
Who in their right mind ( cop or not ) needs to shoot a dog, or person for that matter, 8 times? shock cry
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Mon May 20, '13 2:03pm PST 
Eight times!!!

Seriously?!

That's horrible confused

Skipper is four months old and I think he would run up to a kid on a bike... He's so friendly. He wouldn't do it aggressively, more in a puppy 'hiya' way... I would be distraught if someone shot him for doing that! Never mind shooting him eight times!!!

So, so sad... I don't care if he's a cop... If the puppy truly did nothing wrong, then he should be charged.
[notify]

Sarge

Teddybear

Barked: Mon May 20, '13 3:54pm PST 
Owner's fault! Why was the dog not on a leash or confined?? It doesn't matter if a dog was barking. I've seen dogs that were silent and didn't make a noise when they attacked. It may have been a puppy but sounds like it was big puppy if it was 35 lbs. People are terrified of dogs and even my neighbor is terrified of my 3.5 lb toy poodle and would take off running when she saw him. My friends son was riding his bike once and had 2 dogs chase him on his bike and even though they were friendly they charged him and knocked him off his bike and he ended up scraped up and has scars from it. Owners didn't care and said they didn't believe that happened because their dogs are friendly and then they continued to let their dogs run loose. They guys kid was on the bike and could have taken off really quick to the other side of the block as soon as his dad saw it charging and the neighbors may have not seen this, who knows. I highly doubt he was just shooting it for the heck of it. If I saw a dog running after my kids and I thought they were going to attack you can bet I'd shoot it. I love dogs but I love my kids more. Protect your dog and keep it under your control. You can't say it's just a puppy and wont hurt you because there are cases where puppy's have killed kids. Heck there was even an incident that had a 6 week old puppy kill an infant. In the end we wont really know the truth to this story because it's a he said she said kind of thing and you can have a hundred eye witnesses that will give many different accounts on what really happened but in my eyes it all could have been avoided if she had control of the pup.
[notify]
Dyno

Barked: Mon May 20, '13 4:03pm PST 
You're right it is all on the owner proper containment would have prevented the whole situation
[notify]

Barked: Mon May 20, '13 4:29pm PST 
Although it is obvious that the dog would have been safe in a confined area, the question is if reasonable force was used. Shooting a puppy 8 times in a residential neighborhood seems extreme to most. Police are paid to make decisions in high stress situations and if this is the judgement of this officer, one would have to wonder if he is more of a threat then protection. Will he shoot any dog that is unconfined? Is that reasonable? People are angry because they expect common sense from the people paid by our taxes to protect us. Where is human decency gone when an officer shoots a puppy in the street 8 times?
[notify]
Sarge

Teddybear

Barked: Mon May 20, '13 5:54pm PST 
Not trying to be rude or mean but it's funny to me when people say how we are paying the police with their tax dollars and expect them to be super hero's. My husband was a police officer for several years. It is a highly stressful and thankless job. It's also a very very low paying thankless job. They are trained to react to stop a threat. When they shoot it isn't like in the movies where they shoot to wound. It's shoot to kill and shoot until that threat is taken out. Also, your a parent FIRST before your a police officer. Wipe your mind clean of the info that this is a puppy because he may not have known that at the time and all he may have seen was a dog charging towards his kid. If you saw a dog charging after your kid and you were worried it was going to attack, would you kill it before it grabbed and either injured or killed your kid or wait till it actually happened? I for one wouldn't risk my child being injured, permanently scarred or killed and will kill any person or animal that is a threat to them. Do you know how many times an officer gets attacked by dogs in the first place? My husband had been bitten by a few just going to calls for domestics and such. He had one that didn't show its self as my husband went in and out of the house. The dog was chained up and under the stairs outside and my husband didn't know he was there and couldn't see him in the dark. Dog never made a sound the whole time then out of the blue it came out and attacked him. Lucky for that dog it didn't get shot. What did the owner's say after it happened? The dog is friendly and didn't apologize and was outraged they had to have it quarantined afterwards since they didn't have proof of rabies. Police officers are human beings and not infallible. The dad probably had a split second to make a decision when he saw something that he perceived as a threat to his child and he made that decision to take out the threat like any good cop or dad would do. We weren't there to see it nor were we in his shoes so we can't say that he made the wrong decision. Also in reaction to the 8 shots, if you've ever fired a gun you know that firing 8 shots only takes a few seconds. I highly doubt he was counting each shot at the same time he was shooting. His adrenaline was probably up and he was probably trying to eliminate the threat to his kid. In his head he was probably shooting until he was sure it was down. I didn't hear anything that said he walked up to the dog after it was down and emptied the rest in his clip. Also another thing to think about next time you see a cop. That man/woman must always be on guard to protect themselves and their family even when they are off duty. My husband had to wear his firearm everywhere he went to make sure he was able to protect us from retaliation. Before he was hired on they even had a meeting with me to explain to me why he would have to always carry a firearm even when he was off duty and to discuss any concerns I may have because of this. Instead of always focusing on some of the negatives that you may have heard about that you weren't there to physically observe happen, you should try to look at the many positive things they do. They are out there putting their lives on the line everyday so try thanking one every once in a while instead of saying nasty things about them. Here's a few articles I found that has police officers saving dogs lives:
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/07/31/hero-baltimore-cop -saves-dog-gains-new-best-friend/
http://www.ohmidog.com/2013/02/15 /texas-police-officer-saves-dog-from-traffic/
http://www.lifewithdo gs.tv/2013/04/police-officer-saves-puppy-from-drowning-in-a-canal/
http://www.dogheirs.com/elleng/posts/2997-fast-acting-police-officer -saves-german-shepherd-dog-in-peril
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Mon May 20, '13 6:07pm PST 
It's a sad world indeed Sarge when it's a case of shoot first, ask questions later. You may be biased in favour of the police as your husband was a cop himself, but you know, they're not all kind, considerate, helping the community types. I bet there are many out there in the forces who are nothing but trigger happy jerks!
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon May 20, '13 7:39pm PST 
My grandpa was a chief of police for forty some years and there is no excuse for anyone shooting a puppy 8 TIMES, even if it's rabid an officer is taught to disable or kill with the minimum number of shots fired. I suppose that schmuck is going to come up with that feeble "I was in fear for my life"...and they let those kind of people bear arms...
I'm know I'm afraidshock
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Mon May 20, '13 10:21pm PST 
Sarge, your page said you are a St. Bernard mix, not a toy poodle, and it doesn't show any other dogs in your family. Do you have another dog?

We don't expect cops to be superheroes, but we do expect them not to be idiots, or threats to our family members going about their own business. Discharging a gun like that out on the street with people around is a problrm in itself, in the absence of a real need.

It's nice you expect cops to be parents first and cops second, but all the witnesses, not just the dog's owner, say this cop is lying about his son being present.

And no mstter how scared you are of dogs, the mere fact of the dog being off its property doesn't justify shooting it--not even once.

My neighbor, who is also a cop, says that most cases of cops shooting dogs are not justified, and are the result of the cop knowing absolutely nothing about dog behavior.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3