GO!

Iditarod Dog's Fate Unclear After Attacking Child

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 3:49pm PST 
I never said it was ok. I said to call it horrible conditions was ridiculous.
Easy Mulder. I absolutely agree that things could be done differently but attacking them with false allegations is not the way to get there. And on the whole this looks like a pretty good set up.
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Wed Jul 10, '13 8:26pm PST 
Although I do feel sorry for this 2-year old that has to go through this ordeal, the mother should be charged with child negligence. You do NOT bring young children into a place where there are a lot of dogs that can easily over power a small child. The dogs are most likely not trained with small children or even exposed to them, they are sled dogs for goodness sake.
[notify]
Khuno

Chain free is- the way to be!

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 7:26pm PST 
It makes me so incredibly sad that people continue to think that chaining these dogs and treating them as non-sentient working machines is okay. I will never, ever understand it. These dogs belong in homes with families. They can still work and be treated properly.
[notify]

Darcy

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 1:12am PST 
I think this is in this right section…? I didn’t read anything in the article about the dogs being neglected. I would never allow my child to run around with four dozen sled dogs! What is wrong with the parents? The dogs should have been in proper kennels, too. But, the parents were extremely irresponsible. It’s a sad situation. Chains don’t bother me, as long as the dogs are being treated properly. These dogs certainly weren’t in the worst possible situation.
[notify]
Fun On The- Run Kennel- Racing

'10 Junior- Iditarod, 6th- place!

Barked: Mon Nov 4, '13 12:04pm PST 
This topic has been a huge debate in the mushing community this year. I know Jake, and he's a nice guy. I agree, the mother was very negligent in letting her children run loose around the dogs. If you put a child in a pen with one or two sled dogs, and one of them knocked the kid down so it started crying, do you think the dogs would stay away? No, of course not. It's pray, and it's crying. Even if a dog was in a kennel they would still have attacked that child because they do have a very high prey drive. It just so happens that these dogs were chained, and one of them broke it's chain.

It's a very sad situation for the family of the child, and the child herself. She now has permanent damage on her body, she'll probably never be able to sing, and everyone is focusing on "it's the dogs fault for being chained" which is just wrong. Sorry, but I've been debating this subject with mushers all summer, and it's most certainly not the dog's fault.

If you ever have questions about the supposedly 'horrible' conditions our dogs are kept in, come talk to me. I'll show you my beautiful, happy, healthy family members hanging out in my backyard.
[notify]
Delta

Play hard, sleep- well.

Barked: Mon Nov 11, '13 8:30am PST 
I agree with Mulder. The mother should have supervised her children, but the dogs should have been confined in a better situation. I hope that the child pulls through.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon Nov 11, '13 12:22pm PST 
I know this is an old topic but thank you for the update on the child. My heart goes out to her.

I would also like to point out that I have a 3 year old GSD who is not chained, who is a loved member of my family and who was abundantly socialized as a pup. There is NO chance that I would ever allow her near a child. She is a born hunter and not suitable for interaction with any small defenseless being.
I was also recently speaking to a musher who's young son commonly can be found curled up with one of his older female sled dogs in her house while she is on her chain.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2