GO!

Iditarod Dog's Fate Unclear After Attacking Child

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Khuno

Chain free is- the way to be!

Barked: Mon May 20, '13 6:24am PST 
"A 2-year-old girl seriously injured when a dog attacked her Friday at a top Iditarod musher's Big Lake kennel is expected to survive, her father said Sunday.... Shuck said his daughter, Elin, was with her mother and siblings at musher Jake Berkowitz's Apex Kennels Friday when a dog broke the "S-hook" that kept it tethered and attacked her. Her mother twice pulled the dog off her and used her son's shirt to try to stop the bleeding, troopers said."

Read more here: Dog attack on young girl took place at Iditarod musher's kennel.

And here is a recent update, along with video of the horrible conditions that Jake Berkowitz's Iditarod dogs live in: Sled Dog Awaits Fate After Attack

The fact that his dogs are chained and socially neglected has direct connection to aggressive behavior, which is one of the many reasons why the chaining of sled dogs (or any dog) needs to stop. Read more on why it's wrong to chain here: Break The Chains - Save The Sled Dogs

Edited by author Thu May 23, '13 12:11pm PST

[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Mon May 20, '13 9:19am PST 
What does this have to do with "Sports and Agility"? Perhaps this is better suited to the "Dog Laws and Legislation" forum.
[notify]
Sarge

Teddybear

Barked: Mon May 20, '13 4:30pm PST 
It doesn't say anywhere on the article that the dogs were neglected or abused. Yes they were chained but it doesn't say they were not taken care of. Not only this but the owner's weren't at home when they lady and the kids came over and some of those sled dogs there were hers. Working dogs have high drives and a 2 year old will look like prey to them. The mother wasn't even watching her kids closely because she didn't even see it happen. She just heard her son screaming and turned and saw it. She was busy walking one of her dogs. If I had my 4 year old, 2 year old and 1 year old with me you can bet I would keep my eye on them because even if the dogs were friendly it just takes the child accidentally hurting the dog for it to snap. It's a tragic situation but the mom shouldn't have been out around those dogs without the owner's being home.
[notify]

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 8:31am PST 
I'm sorry, but SOCIALIZED OR NOT, my small children WOULD NOT be allowed to run around four dozen sled dogs for such an incident to happen in the first place. It's well known that MANY dogs do not tolerate toddlers well and 2 year olds do not understand how to properly, and safely, interact with dogs, regardless of whether or not that child had been in that yard before. I don't feel this has so much to do with the way the dogs were raised(because even socialized dogs who love children do this), as just general parental neglect to watch their child/canine interaction closely enough to prevent such an incident.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 12:33pm PST 
Who in their right mind takes a 2 year old into that situation? Especially with inadequate supervision. I dearly hope this poor child pulls through and I hope while they are debating this dogs life,they are also debating child endangerment charges against the mother.
As for horrible conditions, I saw healthy, happy dogs with good body condition in clean, well constructed housing. I saw a healthy, content, new mom, with a good looking litter in a clean,dry box with fresh shavings. Not sure where the horrible conditions are.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 8:15pm PST 
Maybe if the dogs were in proper runs and not chained to a post, one wouldn't have broken loose and mauled a child.

Just sayin'.

Edited by author Mon Jul 8, '13 8:16pm PST

[notify]
Sarge

Teddybear

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 9:33am PST 
Bottom line is the lady and kids shouldn't have been wandering around the owner's property without them knowing about it or even being home.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 12:09pm PST 
Bottom line is that this is a sad situation all the way around.

Lady shouldn't have let her kid go unsupervised, mushing kennels shouldn't be such massive PoS-es and have adequate runs for their dogs.

In no other breeding kennel in the US would these conditions be considered adequate. If you went to a kennel breeding Goldens and this was how they were kept, people would be appalled. Just because these dogs get to run during part of the season doesn't excuse this lifestyle for a "professional" facility.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 1:22pm PST 
I guess the chains aren't such a big deal for me because I have seen what horrible conditions really are, in dog runs.
Admittedly it isn't an ideal way to keep dogs, but I have seen so much worse that for someone to call that 'horrible' just stuns me. I would rather see conditions like that then where Bud was found, or Shadow for that matter. The dog run that I pulled Brigit and Morri out of was horrible. The run just a few away with the rotting puppy carcasses was horrible.
I don't see any stressed, cringing dogs. I don't see any unhealthy dogs. And to say that if this were another breed this wouldn't fly is ludicrous. People buy puppies from much worse places every day and they're fine with it because they got a good deal.
We should be worrying about the 17 huskies that were found in large pens cannibalizing each other after the owner abandoned them. They were in dog runs, they were huskies, they belonged to a musher.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 3:06pm PST 
Why on earth are you comparing them to the WORST possible scenarios?

Of course there are worse situations than this. I absolutely never said anything to the contrary of that.

But just because things are worse elsewhere, we should turn a blind eye to what's wrong with these situations?

Sorry, doesn't fly with me. Idiots abusing dogs in their backyards are a loosing battle that NO ONE will ever win, because they are small drops in a big bucket of water. These are professional mushing kennels, who take part in one of the most famous events in the world.

They SHOULD be held to a higher standard, and their dogs should be better kept.

In my opinion.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2