GO!

Changing dog "owner" to dog "gaurdian"

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 1:42pm PST 
I consider Gunther my companion, but if I were to be told by the state how to care for my dog I would be irate. If I was ordered by PETA to neuter him, I would probably just opt to never have a dog again.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 4:13am PST 
The semantics of it has never really bothered me. I've never really thought of myself as anything other than Samson's owner.

People calling me his dad/parent just sounds...weird to me.

Being his owner doesn't mean I value or cherish his life any less than I would a hypothetical child of mine. I love him and I treat him very well. But I still own him - just not in the same way I own my desk chair.

And the law already reflects this distinction. I can take a sledgehammer to my chair, burn it, throw it in the dumpster, etc. If I were to beat/mutilate/toss/etc my dog, I'd rightfully be in jail.

The "guardian" nonsense is legal path to removing the rights of pet owners to make decisions for their animals. It plays right into the hands of PETA's stated goal of eradicating domestic animals.

~

I don't think I could live without a dog. I don't know how I lived as long as I did without one. If mandatory neuter was nationwide, I'd just opt for the nutless dog. smile

I wouldn't like it, mind you, not one bit - but as far as the important traits of a dog go (loving, loyal, empathetic, etc) balls aren't really necessary :p.

Edited by author Thu May 16, '13 4:15am PST

[notify]
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 6:26am PST 
That wasn't what I meant, Samson. My dog's testicles are not that important to me - to make my own decisions concerning his well-being are.

If it got to a point where we couldn't even make choices on our own concerning our dogs, I probably wouldn't have one. It's just a complete disruption of the freedom we should have. If free speech on the Internet was ever abolished, I probably wouldn't have Internet anymore either, for example.

I could certainly live without a dog and the Internet. Would life be less enjoyable? Of course. But I wouldn't have a dog if I had to follow strict guidelines and couldn't make the choices I want to make. Right now, it's not illegal to have an unvaccinated, unaltered dog. I don't want to have him vaccinated or neutered and that should be my choice.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2