GO!

Changing dog "owner" to dog "gaurdian"

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dyno

Barked: Sat May 11, '13 9:31am PST 
I've been seeing this pop up all over facebook. I'm sorry but i really don't think changing a word, is going to make people not abuse or neglect their animals..I think it's dumnb
Check out their pledge lol :

[QUOTE]Call myself and others "guardian" rather than “owner”
Make a lifetime commitment to my animal companions
Adopt animals only never buy or sell
Spay or neuter my animal companions for their health and to prevent overpopulation
Provide nutritious food, fresh water and daily exercise for my animal companions
Care for the emotional needs of my animal companions
Refer to my animal companions as “he” or “she,” not “it”

[/QUOTE]

This is their site :http://www.guardiancampaign.com/
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sat May 11, '13 10:27am PST 
I agree . . ..some people are already calling themselves pet parents. I think it's preaching to the choir. People who don't feel that pets deserve the greatest consideration probably won't pay any attention or have their minds changed ...
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 2:51am PST 
I OWN my dog and that simple legal definition allows me to make decisions for him that would otherwise be taken out of my hands. I don't want it any other way.

I can't be told how to train him, what to feed him, etc, etc, so on and so forth.

For those who think this is actually a good idea (and aren't the least bit suspicious as to why PETA/HSUS are on board with this), do yourself a favor and education yourself on the legal distinctions between "owner" and "guardian" and what the consequences of those differences are.

Edited by author Sun May 12, '13 2:52am PST

[notify]

Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 8:04am PST 
Good point, Samson, apparently some are trying to get legal legislation to that end . . . . I could see PETA twisting such laws to take people's animals away.

Here's what the AVMA has to say

avma on guardian vs. owner
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 8:49am PST 
applause Samson..you said exactly how I feel. I'm not a "fur-parent" or a "guardian." Dogs are property (under the law, despite how we feel) and I have a responsibility to maintain my property. That includes vetting, feeding, training, etc. No one else has the right to tell me what to do with my couch....or my dogslaugh out loud
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 1:40pm PST 
Agreed. If people want to call themselves their dogs' parents, guardians, friends, or whatever else, that's fine. But I would fight tooth and nail to keep dogs legally classified as property. It's a mistake to view this movement as silly and harmless when it could have real consequences for responsible dog owners.
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 7:42pm PST 
I'm with everyone else on this. I'm not Noah's mom and the term "furbaby" makes me gag. I don't need anyone else telling me what is right for my dog.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 11:37pm PST 
yeah no kidding. Being a guardian of something means that someone else owns the dog. . .who or what then, owns the dog? The state? The breeder? the shelter?

The easiest solution is the best solution. Dogs must be property. They are forced by their function in society as companion animals to interact within human society even though they are not designed to comprehend all of the nuances of it. A dog's human companion is an advocate, advisor and protector of their dog. That's what an owner does. In other words, the person that spends all their time at minimal cost compared to what it would take for an organization to do it, with the dog knows it best, trains it, and protects it from harm and from it harming others within reason. You couldn't ask any bureaucratic entity to be able to deal with the amount of dogs there are on that very intimate level. It's stupid and it's nonsense, and it doesn't help the probably 80% of people that are doing right by their dogs and adequately fulfilling their physical and psychological needs.

As for the whatever percentage of owners out there that are hoarders, mill breeders, fighters, or neglectful and abusive, the laws do need to move more quickly to protect the well being of living creatures.

naming people as guardians rather than owners hurts the vast majority of very good owners, and doesn't change anything about the horribleness that is still going on.

Edited by author Sun May 12, '13 11:38pm PST

[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 4:24pm PST 
Foxy: "Being a guardian of something means that someone else owns the dog. . .who or what then, owns the dog? The state? The breeder? the shelter? "
I don't think this is correct. Guardianship impies NO ownership. Think of children...no one "owns" them. But they have parents/guardians, who make decisions for their care. Yet, third parties can determine those decisions are inadequate, and move for removal of the child.
THIS is where it gets sticky, for me personally. As you say..who gets to decide that I'm an "unfit guardian?" Can PETA follow me home & apprehend my dog because I use a flat collar, or only feed dry kibble?
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Tue May 14, '13 10:07pm PST 
applause Squam applause

I've never liked the "owner" term. Maybe it's my Native American influences but It makes no sense to me that I can "own" a living being. "Guardian" is more appropriate...IMO.

But I know I'm odd in many of my non-traditional beliefs and don't like pushing my beliefs on others. I never understood women changing their last name once they get married. It reminds me of slavery. Slave weren't allowed to have last names of their own...they took the last name of their "master." When they were sold...their last name changed to the new "owners" last name. Creepy, arrogant, possessive, controlling...IMO
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2