GO!

Neighbor dog tied out and barking for hours--how would you talk to them?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Thu May 9, '13 3:59pm PST 
My next door neighbors have started tying their dog out in the backyard a lot lately--like in the last couple of weeks. It's odd because she used to be out only occasionally. They've had her maybe 4 or 5 months. She's an adult blue heeler and she's constantly whining or barking when she's tied out. Yesterday it certainly seemed like she was out most of a 24 hour period. She was whining at night the night before--my roommate who's closest to her yard said she kept him awake.

I did send a text last night to her at midnight asking if she would please "bring her girl in because her barking is pretty annoying and heartbreaking". She didn't answer, but this morning the dog wasn't out.
But it's 7pm--I just got home and she's out again . ..

I don't want to start crap with animal control, but these people already lost one good little dog last year because he repeatedly escaped the yard. The last time he got away, he had no collar on and so was never found.

I looked up the ordinances and it is illegal here to have a dog on a fixed point tie-out--which looks like she is. And there is language that says it's illegal to "exclusively" have a dog tied out between 8 am and 6pm or to leave a dog tied out for more than 1 hour in any given 8 hour period.

They've definitely violated those, unless there's some loophole in the word "exclusively" . . .. because there is also a fence --though with holes big enough for her to get out . . .

I feel like something may have gone wrong in the house dynamic for her to be getting all of a sudden put out so much, but not sure how to broach the subject. shrug

Any thoughts?
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 6:03pm PST 
If you know the people a bit you might approach them with something like " How are things? I was just concerned because we heard her crying out there last night". If you don't know the people well enough to say something like that, you might have to get animal control involved anonymously.

Of course sometimes that doesn't help either. The people next door to us have this ol' bully who is a sweetheart. I think the idea was he would be a watchdog when they weren't home. They're have days and nights when there is nobody home and this poor dog would moan and cry for hours.

Anybody who loves bullies knows how people oriented they are. Leaving any dog alone endlessly is bad...but for some breeds it's beyond cruel. I reported them to animal control, the officer lives down the street, she must have heard it sometime. But nothing has changedshrug
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri May 10, '13 6:25pm PST 
I like Opehelia"s idea. A nice little neighborly chat. Something along the lines of " Are you having some troubles with your dog, because I noticed she is spending more time outside than usual?" Then depending on what they say, maybe you can offer to help some waysmile
[notify]

Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 8:00am PST 
Update: I found out from two other neighbors that the owners told them they were looking to rehome the dog. I got excited and was planning to enlist my agility instructor to help find a great home for her where she could have some fun after I had a chance to talk to them.

The very next morning she was loose in front of their yard barking and another neighbor and I caught her, the owners weren't home and there was no point in trying to put her back in their yard for her to escape again. So I said let's put her in my side yard--it's very secure and leave them a note.(Turns out the phone number I had was no good anymore when I tried to call her, so she never got my text anyway.)

She was a total sweetheart, just wanted love and scratches and her and Gus had a ball--too much of a ball, cause I had to separate them lest they tear down the house rough housing! laugh out loud

When I finally talked to them that evening about being happy to help find her a home--the woman was like "yeah, I think my friend's going to take her."

Drat. That burst my bubble because I had a sinking feeling that her friend might not be much better for a high energy dog. I emphatically told her, well if that doesn't work out, please let me know, because I'm sure I could find her a great home . . .

I told her in the meantime I'd be happy to walk her with Gus anytime since I'm always out walking the dog. So she did take me up on that and we went on a walk yesterday--she's such a cute little dog.
[notify]