GO!

Innocent Chained Pit Bull shot & killed in own yard by the police

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 7 of 8: Viewing entries 61 to 70)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 5:26pm PST 
Not if they are in active pursuit, and not if they have reasonable grounds to believe a perpetrator is hiding on the premises- ei a dog tracking. Refuse entry in either case and you are under arrest.
Think about what you are all saying. Police have no right to pursue people? You want them to stop and get permission? I guess I am just strange. I don't ever want criminals that warrant police pursuit to have that kind of out.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 7:19pm PST 
Nobody said police have no right to pursue people..........Police have NO right to shoot a dog for protecting his own property!
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 8:13pm PST 
And in Canada they need a warrant also.
Mika that's what you said.

And again the dog in question not only attacked the K-9, but had the officer pinned down, a second officer was unable to pull it off, and the owner did nothing! Unbelievable that with the owner admitting to being RIGHT THERE, in the driveway and doing NOTHING, everyone still blames the officer in question, who acted in the heat of the moment, in defense of a fellow HUMAN officer. The dog in question was on a chain that allowed access to the whole yard, it wasn't a family member, it was a tool! It lived in the back yard. This is just another case of a lowlife with a fighting dog using a tragedy to get on TV. Did you SEE how that dog lived? Do you even comprehend how little those people cared to leave a dog living outside in Saskatchewan in the winter? Did anyone notice that the dogs collar had to be cut off him? Fence? What fence? The dog was living in a scrap heap!
[notify]

Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 5:52am PST 
You do need warrants to go on peoples property........I am not exactly sure how it works while they are in pursuit, it may be a different story.......I am not a cop, and as far as I know neither are you????
Where do you get the right to call him a lowlife?? How do you know the dog lived outside???? And the owner stated the officers did not give him time to control his dog! Forgive me if I missed the part that stated the dog lived outside and that this man was a lowlife.......which very well could be the case......but surely not the point of this?!!? I clearly see a fence in the video......maybe not a full fence, and I do not agree with the dog being on a chain, but nobody here knows the whole story. And why shouldn't the dog have the run of his own yard???? It's his damn yard!!! From which he was protecting...........AND there would have been another way to deal with this.........and as I can see this conversation going nowhere......I dont even know why this topic continues
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 6:28am PST 
Mika - the police do NOT need a warrant to search property while in pursuit....that would make absolutely no sense. Can you just picture it? Criminal runs from sidewalk to someone's lawn and that means they can turn to officers in pursuit and just say neener neener now you can't get me!

What a ridiculously silly notion.........and how incredibly dangerous would that be for the general public. Just yikes.

Not only can they search without a warrant for a suspect but also for any evidence, dropped weapons, drugs, paraphernalia.

If people think that's infringing on their rights somehow instead of seeing it as people risking their lives to keep you and yours safe then by all means, please, put signs in y'alls front yards alerting criminals to the "safety zone" that is your yard and not your neighbors. That way those fleeing can seek refuge in YOUR yard and not anyone else's who happen to believelaw enforcement should be allowed to do their job unhindered by geographics!
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 7:34am PST 
I think it is infringing on your rights when a cop enters your yard without you knowing about it and destroys your property. Tool, guard dog, whatever, the dog was still property in the eyes of the law and regardless of circumstance the officer destroyed it.

I don't condone the way the man kept his dog, to be clear. But I still believe he deserves restitution, to the value of the dog.

I don't feel the cop should lose his job, it was a terrible accident, only that they should try and make it right financially.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 7:38am PST 
Wow Trigger, no need for the sarcasm is there?

O.k so guess you got me there eh? no need for a warrant.....fine....cool...eek
Oops sarcasm on my behalf this time...

Does anybody know what this guy even did that the police were chasing him for?
Petty theft? Brutal assault? Murder? Maybe simply had a warrant out for his arrest? Missed a court date? What? Was his crime worth the death of a dog? For the millionth time......for those who dont care to read all of what people say.......I have said, and will say again.....I NEVER SAID THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE CHASED A CRIMINAL THROUGH THE YARD...........I SIMPLY SAID THE DOG I DO NOT THINK HAD TO DIE!!!!!!!!!
This convo has gotten way out of control, and has been reduced to silly arguing with one dog I especially respected on this site. (Sab) it is to bad we have different views but it is a normal response to something like this for people to disagree.
For those who think I am totally one sided in all this, you are wrong, I am simply being a voice for this pittie who died, who I think should not have.......I dont know the owner.......I dont know how the dog lived.....I dont know how the owner treated the dog, and certainly nobody knows that the dog was strictly living outdoors and not in the family home......for people to assume these things is ludacris. None of us know those answers and have nothing to do with the dog who is now dead. I did not know it made you a lowlife to have a dog outdoors that will protect the property when they think it is being invaded......if the dog lived outside on that chain, shame on that guy......but again we dont know that..........and yes the police were in pursuit of a criminal....ok, go for it then.....was his crime serious enough to end up with the death of a dog? Who knows. Could things have gone down differently? I think so. And for the third time I have said this, but people keep ignoring......had this been your yard.......had this been your dog.....say you dont have a good fence.......you put your dog on a lead for a few moments......go out front of your house to maybe talk to a neighbor who knows......and all of the sudden you hear police yelling.....dogs barking......then before you even get a chance to blink.......boom, gunshot, you run back, and see your dog running in a corner bleeding about to die because police shot him? All happening so quick you had no time to react and then there you are with a dead dog because of a pursuit.....now even though it is the cops right.....and probably the right thing to do by chasing this criminal, still your dog is now dead. Can you honestly tell me that you wouldn't say that there should have been another way? My dog didn't have to die? Would you not be upset even the least bit with the officer that took your dog out???????? Honestly?
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 8:10am PST 
Mika - the police do NOT need a warrant to search property while in pursuit....that would make absolutely no sense. Can you just picture it? Criminal runs from sidewalk to someone's lawn and that means they can turn to officers in pursuit and just say neener neener now you can't get me!

What a ridiculously silly notion.........and how incredibly dangerous would that be for the general public. Just yikes.

Not only can they search without a warrant for a suspect but also for any evidence, dropped weapons, drugs, paraphernalia.

If people think that's infringing on their rights somehow instead of seeing it as people risking their lives to keep you and yours safe then by all means, please, put signs in y'alls front yards alerting criminals to the "safety zone" that is your yard and not your neighbors. That way those fleeing can seek refuge in YOUR yard and not anyone else's who happen to believelaw enforcement should be allowed to do their job unhindered by geographics!
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 8:14am PST 
By the way, I have to ask......do you guys think the reason that the dog was shot is because he attacked a human police officer? Because if it said that anywhere, i can't find it? As far as I can see, (or at least what the man is saying) is the officer was kneeling behind his own dog, trying to restrain him, and the officer was standing up, gun drawn, right by the dog house......and the pittie was after the other dog, not the human officer, but the dog......and was shot by the cop who was standing there?
just wondering if I missed something?
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 8:17am PST 
Trigger-in this case, I believe they did not need a warrant, because it was a pursuit.....however those other things you said.....they can't just start searching your property for all those things! They need a search warrant!!!!
The only way they get away with that is is they have very very strong reason to believe that is something on the premises.
[notify]
  (Page 7 of 8: Viewing entries 61 to 70)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8