GO!

Innocent Chained Pit Bull shot & killed in own yard by the police

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 6 of 8: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 10:03am PST 
wow, has this post ever caused a lot of arguments.......not that I didn't see it coming. I totally stick by what I said.....no I do not know all the facts, but from the video and the article alone, the dog didn't need to die PERIOD!

And yes I do know how hard it is to pull apart a dog fight, but since there were 2 police officers and the owner of the pit, I am pretty sure it could have been stopped. Somehow.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 10:05am PST 
And again I would like to say, I can't help but think if it had been your dog that was shot while protecting it's own property, would you be so understanding?
Are cops that above all of us that it is their right to come through our yards and shoot our dogs for protecting us?
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 12:04am PST 
Mika, my dogs would never be in that position. I am a firm believer in locked gates and SUPERVISION! If the owner was in fact outside, why in heavens name was the dog not put in, held onto, or something.
Moe perhaps I worded it a bit strong but yes, I am referring to the multitudes of morons I see daily. The number one reason I would never own a PB is because I cannot stomach the people the 'breed' attracts. I love the dogs, but I don't suffer stupidity well.
As the owner of another much maligned breed I take pains to actively avoid the 'tough dog' image. Fortunately, at least with GSDs the stupid/smart owner is about a 50/50 split.
[notify]

Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Fri Apr 5, '13 5:59am PST 
Sabi, I do understand what your saying, really I do, but the fact remains that there are far to many situations that happen like this where an animal gets killed when it did not have to. And as far as I could tell there was a fence, and a gate, the gate was shut, the police broke the gate to get into the yard......beyond all of the beware of dog signs. The owner was said to be out front of his house while the dog was in the back yard. I dont see anything wrong with that. I know plenty of people who have fenced yards and a sliding door to the back yard and they open their door and the dogs go play in the yard for a while.......to me that doesn't make the owner "bad" by any means. Saying that, I will say that when my dogs are out on their lead, I am always with them, but still I see nothing wrong with having your dog in your own yard, while you are close by.
[notify]
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 10:45am PST 
The Pit bull was chained. That in itself indicates a problem. More than one. A chained dog is not ever a good thing. The fences must not have been all that secure, if a dog had to be chained in a secured yard. Chained dogs tend to be more aggressive and territorial. Dogs were not meant to be kept on chains. Dogs that are, are usually "GUARD DOGS" and guard dogs are meant to put their lives as a buffer between person/property and bad guys. Which means the dog is a tool and not a pet.

Pets to be treasured do not live on chains or in kennels.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sat Apr 20, '13 1:58am PST 
What of castle law? Did the police have a warrant? Regardless of the chain, the dog was on its own property.

In Australia such a thing is unheard of and totally illegal. Doesn't matter who you are pursuing or if the dog is on a scent, the police cannot climb a fence without a signed warrant from a judge. If pursuing a suspect they can knock on the door and if refused entry that is it, game over. I thought it was the same in the USA except in cases of martial law?

I see cops scaling fences all the time in the show COPS too, on the spur of the moment, and I have to say, I do not like it at all. Also seen lots of dogs on that show that do not obey the out command but I suppose that's not really relevant to the conversation.

IMHO chaining a dog isn't good, but neither is a cop entering your property without authority, no matter what the reason. Just my opinion.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 12:01am PST 
Hey Jackson.

I don't think this happened in america. I think it's a Canadian thing.

In COPS usually they come with a warrent I think. Kinda like those bounty hunter shows. They don't usually approach unless they have a warrent or they use a certain type of law word. I think it's reasonable cause to chase down people they're aleady running after. But i could be wrong about that.

I live in america and have rarely had any instant that i know of of cops showing up without a warrent and getting anything. Even when Animal Control came stalking around my apartment complex they couldn't do anything about coming into my home without something from a judge. But that didn't stop them from messinga bout the communal yard once they'd been let in.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 2:48am PST 
That reminds me Jake, there is one thing I dislike about the Australian system and that is the powers of the RSPCA. They go into yards when people aren't home and seize animals on complaints. I don't think that's right at all and I think they often target the wrong people.

In the case of a pursuit I wouldn't be particularly upset if cops cut through my yard, as long as they didn't damage any property. This was not the case in this situation and I regardless of the dog attacking the K9 or whatever I feel that they should pay restitution.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 2:48am PST 
That reminds me Jake, there is one thing I dislike about the Australian system and that is the powers of the RSPCA. They go into yards when people aren't home and seize animals on complaints. I don't think that's right at all and I think they often target the wrong people.

In the case of a pursuit I wouldn't be particularly upset if cops cut through my yard, as long as they didn't damage any property. This was not the case in this situation and I regardless of the dog attacking the K9 or whatever I feel that they should pay restitution.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 7:11am PST 
applause Exactly Jackson!!!!
And in Canada they need a warrant also.
[notify]
  (Page 6 of 8: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8