GO!

Innocent Chained Pit Bull shot & killed in own yard by the police

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 5 of 8: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 12:42am PST 
Tiller applause
Even with multiple dogs they don't get to be out from under my watchful eye.

Also I'm not sure some of you understand tracking. It isn't one of those 'oh hey, let's just go over here for a sec' things. A) a good tracker won't quit a track no matter what and B)If you succeed in getting them of it can be really hard to get them back on. It's the number one way K-9s get lost. They will follow a track heedless of any and all outside influence.
Further, I don't WANT the police banging on my door every time they need to check my yard. Good Lord, in this neighborhood I'd never get any sleep laugh out loud
I do make darn sure my pups are put in when I see them coming. As a courtesy and a precaution.
[notify]
Trixie Bean!

none so blind as- those that will- not see

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 4:23am PST 
I guess it shocks me that two police officers couldnt break up a fight between two dogs without resorting to shooting and killing one of them.

If the Pittie was chained, why were they even putting their hands on the Pittie... Surely logically you would pull it away by the chain, whilst the other pulls the GSD away? I mean, when I broke up a fight between Roxie (whos a bully breed) and Trixie (GSD cross) I called Trixie off the fight, and she stopped long enough for me to twist Roxies collar and get her off. If Roxie was on a chain then it would have made it even easier to break up the fight.. Soo if I did that at the age of 17, why could two police officers not manage it without resorting to killing one of the dogs?

My dog is let out into the yard and is not supervised 100% of the time.. We have a secure yard, and I don't feel that she needs to be watched constantly. If a police officer and his dog hopped over our fence, she would without a doubt react to that.. Its her yard! I kind of feel that she has the right to do so . In saying that, I could call her off if she started to fight with the police dog. I wonder whether the police officer could do the same with their dog? And if not I wonder would that result in the death of my dog..
[notify]
Baby

What'd you say?- I wasn't- listening.

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 8:47am PST 
The officer said he shot the dog only once it pushed the other officer to the ground. He acted quickly at the possibility of his fellow comrade getting mauled. If he was at any sort of distance running around the dog and pulling the chain would take more time than it would for the dog to do serious damage (whether on accident or not).

I'm not sure why this is so astonishing that someone would cherish another person's life to the point of either acting emotionally or quite possibly rationally, it's hard to say if he did it out of logic or concern seeing as we weren't there.

And as for the owners saying good things about the dog, I've never heard a dog owner say Fido is a nasty, nasty, animal that bites people after he's been shot (which unfortunately a lot of shot dogs have been popping up in the news).

Of course this doesn't mean that dog was actually "mean" or was going to maul the cop but it really doesn't surprise me and I don't hold him to all the much fault. It's not as if he just walked into the yard, saw the dog, and as a precaution before something actually happened shot him.

Edited by author Tue Apr 2, '13 8:54am PST

[notify]

Dyno

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 7:57pm PST 
Seriously though 95% percent of people don't even own REAL pit bulls so who are you to say that 95% of pit bull owners are losers?Most people who own REAL pit bulls take really good care of their dogs.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 11:51pm PST 
Was the dog in question a REAL pitbull? Define a REAL pitbull please. Are the ones I see daily fake? Does this real/fake thing apply to other breeds? 'Cause I've long suspecting Shadow is lying about her breed, I'm sure Sabi is. Who do I report this to? Is it like using a fake ID?
[notify]
Trixie Bean!

none so blind as- those that will- not see

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 1:06am PST 
Why does it matter whether it was a "real" Pit Bull or not? Breed shouldn't even come into it at the end of the day. If it was a Labrador, a Golden Retriever, a Dalmation.. My opinion would be the same.

To me the situation simply wasnt handled well from the second they went over into that yard and saw the Pit Bull (or from before they went into the yard and saw the signs!). HOWEVER I do get that the officer that shot the dog probably did it automatically, and of course his collegue would be the priority. I just think its sad that he got himself into a situation where the dog got on top of him in the first place. I guess I dont really get how it came to that, unless he tried getting in between the two dogs (which is a stupid thing to do). When the Pittie had a chain attached I really feel like it shouldnt have come to the dog getting shot.. They could have broken that fight up without him ending up underneath the dog.

Its sad that the dog died.. Its sad that it was chained up outside but really, if it was outside and the owner was stood there I doubt the situation would have been much different.
[notify]
Dyno

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 8:10am PST 
IDK if it was a REAL apbt or not. It's possible. A real Pit bull ?

REAL APBT: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715120

Two dogs commonly confused with APBT
American Staffordshire Terrier :http://cdn.pedigreedatabase.com/dogbreeds/american_staffordshire_te rrier.jpg
American Bully:http://www.vitaminsforpitbulls.com/images/american_bully_1.jpg

The general public doesn't even know what a real apbt looks like, and thinks that the American Bully or An Amstaff is an APBT.
You can tell if a dogs a real APBT by looking at it's bloodlines/pedigree. Most real apbts show in ADBA shows.

and it doesn't matter what the dogs breed is, i'm only bringing this up because she's saying 95% of Pit bull owners are losers. Most people don't even own REAL apbts, (& it doesn't help that most bully breeders refer to their dogs as pit bulls)and the average person who owns a bully breed is far from a looser.Yes i agree and am aware there are a lot of people who shouldn't own/breed bully breeds, but to say 95% of owners are losers is taking it too far in my opinion

Edited by author Wed Apr 3, '13 8:20am PST

[notify]
Dyno

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 8:27am PST 
A great video describes what a REAL APBT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cams0iaqQbM&list=UUj02afLmzhIfifp_KVw Vw2A&index=5

Edited by author Wed Apr 3, '13 8:30am PST

[notify]
Moe Jr.

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 2:13pm PST 
"The term pit bull refers to certain breeds of dog – namely, the American Pit Bull Terrier, the American Staffordshire Terrier, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and any crosses between the three. In a few parts of the world, the American Bulldog is also classified as a "Pit Bull-type" dog, despite its major genetic differences."

An American Bully is a pit bull, because they're pretty much a cross of staffy's and APBTs.

I don't see what owning a REAL American Pit Bull Terrier has to do with anything. If you have all 3 dogs together, an American Bully, a Staffy, and a APBT out in public they will ALL more than likely be called pit bulls. When I walk around with Moe on the street they don't say. HEY that looks like an American Bully, they say he looks like a pit bull. Even though he's half basset 90% of people comment on him looking like a pit bull other 10% assume he's giant 60 pound weiner-dog with a huge head that is built like a truck.

ALL of the pit bull breeds have bad reputations. You make it seem like the APBT is getting blamed because people are mistaking staffys and bullys for them.

Maybe Sabi could have worded that differently, but I'm pretty sure she just meant that a lot of people that own these dogs have no idea what they're doing or are just plain stupid and the others that are intentionally making bad dogs. That is what I'm sure she meant by the "losers". Of course she wouldn't be calling the good responsible owners that have put in the training, time, and socialization into their dogs losers. She's talking about the people who make these dogs aggressive or just get them to look tough and slap a 50 pound chain around their neck, and don't do anything else with them, or the ones that leave them in a back yard all day for years with no training or anything that eventually get out and attack another dog because their owner is irresponsible.

Edited by author Wed Apr 3, '13 2:22pm PST

[notify]
Dyno

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 5:08pm PST 
Dave Wilson the creator of the American Bully says himself that more dogs were included to create the ambully than just the AST and the APBT, that may have been the original cross but deffinetly not the only cross used in a lot of different lines. So how is it that a dog that could be part mastiff or part english bull dog is still a "Pit bull". Dave wilson ALSO said his dogs were NOT pit bulls but a new breed.

Yes the PUBLIC doesn't know how to identify the different breeds which is sad, so when someone refers to my dog as a apbt, I promptly correct them.. American Bullies shouldn't be called pit bulls because they are not. It's sad that the public thinks they are, and when they see a real pit bull they think it's still a puppy or not even a pit bull at all.I could see how someone could make the arguement that an AST is like a show bred APBT, but i do not see how someone could say that the Ambully and the SBT are the same breed as the APBT.

But i've argued this far too many times i recommend you check out pit bull chat.com, the other members there would be able to explain to you the differences between the breeds more eloquently. But this thread is just going in circles, and is going off topic. No one is gonna change their mind here, so i will just end it at that, and will no longer be visiting this thread.
Here are some links you may want to check out.

http://www.bullytree.com/2012/10/exotics-vs-american-bullies -vs-pitbulls/
http://www.workingpitbull.com/BLUETruth.htm
http://w ww.workingpitbull.com/pictures.htm
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 8: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8