GO!

Innocent Chained Pit Bull shot & killed in own yard by the police

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 2 of 8: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 6:04am PST 
You dont see that the police did anything wrong????? eek
So you are saying that just because their dog was an "officer" and his dog wasn't it is their dog that gets killed even though the police dog was in their yard and the pit was restrained????!!!!!
Also aren't these dogs suppose to be so well trained that one simple word command to them will make them release whatever they are attacking? So why didn't they call the police dog off with that word and get him out of that persons yard? If that police dog was not that well trained yet, he damn well shouldn't have been out in pursuit of anything!
AND somebody said that you wouldn't want the officer not to continue the chase because they were after somebody that assaulted somebody?? O.k so who cares who happens to be out in our backyard whether it's our children, our pet children, whoever, just go ahead through our yard, and if we happen to protect our property go ahead and start shooting because you were after somebody.........continue on your business.!!!??

Sorry but I dont think so
[notify]
Dyno

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 7:08am PST 
i just want to throw this out there. I've worked with tons of police dogs at my old job the trainer was horrible, and the dogs were FAR from well trained. A police dog doesn't have to prove it's reliable to be a police dog. I've met police dogs that wouldn't let go when they were told to. I met police dogs that said they smelt drugs when there weren't any. I've met police dogs that were more worried about their surroundings when other dogs were around than what their owner was saying. Hell I even met a racist police dogs. I wish that police officers made their dogs meet a standard. Because i've met Dozens of police dogs that have no place in the force.i am NOT saying this is the case for all police dogs. I am just telling you my personal experience as i have met many police dogs.
[notify]
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 3:18pm PST 
I agree with Trigger.. Dogs belong in the house. Not on a chain. Had there been a fence, this probably wouldnt have happened. The escapee might have taken an easier escape route. Sad .. very sad. But if a dog were attacking my dog while on duty, it would be very sad
[notify]

Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 4:25pm PST 
I agree that dogs do not belong on chains, but we dont know the situation there either, maybe he just goes out on a tie when he has to go to the bathroom, maybe not who knows. And as far as I could tell, there was a fence, at least part of one considering there was a beware of dog sign on the gate and fence coming into the yard.
And my yard is only part fenced and when my dogs go outside, they are on a rope. Albeit I am with them out there, but not the point. If I had my dogs going to the bathroom outside on their rope, and some police man chasing a guy with their obviously not well trained police dog, and shot my dog for protecting me and my property, hmmmmmmmm it doesnt seem right to me.
[notify]
Baby

What'd you say?- I wasn't- listening.

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 5:04pm PST 
I agree with Trigger and Sarge.

I can also honestly say that if I saw my friend get pushed down by a big, angry, in the middle of a fight dog I'd probably shoot too. I mean, the cop that shot couldn't pull the pit off his partner, pull back his dog (trained or not) and make sure his friend remains safe all at once. He was probably thinking emotionally 'oh my god my partner is about to get mauled and there's two dogs going at it...' etc.

((I think some people may have misread this article. Please note that canine officer does not mean k9 officer. Police dog = k9 and canine officer = police officer))

"The Regina Police Service says the police dog and pit bull began fighting. The canine officer attempted to break up the dogs, but ended up being taken to the ground by the pit bull. Another officer tried to get the pit bull off the canine officer. Unable to do so, the officer fired one shot at the pit bull, killing it."

And about entering someone else's yard? What are they going to do? Watch the suspect get away through the resident's yard while they knock on the door to see if they can go through it too?

Yikes!

Edited by author Fri Mar 29, '13 5:07pm PST

[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 6:41pm PST 
I don't think dogs belong on a chain either but what I don't understand is why the K-9 couldn't be pulled out of the pits range. The owner said that he wasn't given time to get his dog. Doesn't that imply he may have been home possibly watching said dog? I didn't read the article so not sure. Plus this all probably happened in less than 5 minutes.

But I've broken up a few fights including those between potties. If there were two officers they should have come up with another way. I'm just wondering if they would have been so quick to shoot had the dog in the yard been a fox hound, German Shepard, or other breed of dog people keep as a pet.

Did the suspect they chased get away since it seems he had the right idea flying into a backyard with a dog in it as he was chased by another dog.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 7:28am PST 
Well said Jake. Had the dog been any other breed, would things have gone down the same? Unlikely.

Nobody was saying that the officers should have knocked on the door for permission to enter the yard.......obviously, as they were in pursuit of somebody......all anybody was saying is there should and would have been another way to get the dogs apart. Shoot the gun in the air and startle them or something, anything!!!!!
This dog did not need to die, and I am sure some people would feel a lot differently had it been their dog who was shot and killed by careless police
[notify]
Dyno

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 7:38pm PST 
Baby, i find it sad that you would shoot a dog over it knocking someone down, The dog is in a fight, you think it knows you are trying to help? If i was a dog and someone tried to hold me like that i would probably try to push him off too, in the dogs mind, you are holding it down giving the other dog the upper hand to hurt it.It's not like the pit bull was intentionally trying to hurt the officer. The dog didn't redirect and bite the officer, the dog simply knocked him down, if you're a police officer you should be able to handle being knocked down by a 40-60lb dog. (Pit bulls aren't "big dogs") His GSD, was probably bigger and meaner than the APBT.He didn't even allow the dogs owner to try and intervene. Trying to pull off a dog once, and getting knocked down is not enough, if the dog didn't redirect as soon at the officer grabbed him chanced are he wasn't going to. I've separated a lot of dog fights in my day i have 2 dogs who cannot see each other period i keep them separate all the time because of the fights they use to get them. And no matter the breed, if they are in a fight simply trying to "pull" them off is not enough and can end up causing more harm than good..

Question, if a happy but untrained lab came and jumped on a police officer and knocked him down only to lick his face, should that dog also be shot?

Yes it is a police K9, but it's still a dog, the GSD(100lbs vs apbt 40-60lbs) could handle itself in a fight for a few mins while the owner tried to separate the dogs, the GSD was not yet in a life threatening situation and when the pit bull was killed, the GSD did not have a mark on her. There were 3 people on the seen are you trying to tell me that 3 people couldn't figure out how to separate 2 dogs. Why didn't one officer grab a hold of his dog, and allow the owner to grab a hold of his?

Edited by author Sat Mar 30, '13 7:45pm PST

[notify]
Baby

What'd you say?- I wasn't- listening.

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 6:33pm PST 
An activated/charged dog in the middle of a fight is a little different than a lab happily jumping on you.

People respond emotionally in stressful situations. This doesn't mean I think the dog deserved to die or that it happened; I'm just saying it's not unexplainable, unimaginable, or completely despicable .
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 6:38pm PST 
First of all a well bred GSD weighs generally in the vicinity of 60-70 lbs not 100.
Second I am appalled at the number of you who routinely are on here advocating for fair treatment of PBs that will now turn around and slam GSDs.

The dog was unattended, tied in a back yard. Bad owner. Presumably no warning signs were posted. Bad owner. The dog turned on a human and dragged him to the ground. BAD DOG.
To say that the police are at fault in anyway is grossly unfair. They were in pursuit of a suspect, tracking him with a working K-9. They didn't choose were the suspect ran, heck they didn't force him to commit the offence he was being pursued for. Even if leashed tracking leads are generally 15-30 feet long to permit the dog to track without handler interference. You would all be singing a different tune if the police said they called of a pursuit of a rapist or murderer because he/she ran through private property. Perhaps they reacted to quickly, or maybe not but unless you have the courage and strength of character to put your butt in their shoes, do not be to quick to condemn them. This is not a case of a stray dog, or police being called to a property, this was an attack on a k-9 team while they were actively working a track.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 8: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8