GO!

Be their voice - please!

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 9:44am PST 
I recently called the SPCA on a dog who had 3-4 feet of chain and couldn't reach his box. We had snow, wind and ice and he laid under a tree next to the pole with the chain and suffered through it. He has been chained for over a year now. I've been watching. Well once I saw the chain was wrapped and nobody unraveled it, just left his food bowl (no water bowl near) I called. The owner surrendered the dog, now he will never be cold, hungry or unloved again. His story is on Grunts diary page. There are other dogs on the property, which I of course will continue to watch. They are my goal to help now.

Please be their voice. If you see something make the call.

I went to see the dog at the SPCA yesterday, he's thin, dirty and happy to be around people who will love him. I sponsored him, paid his adoption fee and donated food to the shelter. The shelter is on the front page of the paper today and of course I will continue to support their efforts. This dog would still be short-chained in the weather (wind chill is 15 degrees today) because nobody cared enough to call!

I'm not looking for praise or a pat on the back, I want people to follow my lead. Help them if you see they need help. We domesticated these animals years ago, which means they depend on us to survive. So I ask you to - BE THEIR VOICE...
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 11:48am PST 
You cannot say that enough. It can be hard for a person to break from their comfort zones and take action. But you are all they have. We talk about what dogs have meant to us and given us. We talk about how one dog dies how much it means to him when you adopt another. We talk with outrage with abuse. But if all we manage to do is wait for authorities to stumble upon something, really in the end, twisting a quotation around a little, we need to understand that all abuse needs to prevail is for good people to do nothing. When that happens, we become implicit in its cycle as we are who has been placed before the situation, thanks to the good dogs in our life with the passion that it is wrong. If we are to do nothing in that situation, we are still doing something. We are allowing the abuse to continue.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Barked: Fri Mar 22, '13 10:06pm PST 
Agree totally. I understand that it's easier to turn your head. BUT imagine the effect you will have. Take a chance. Most agencies have anonymous calling. I learned that his woman wants help and the prior investigator failed her. Now, hopefully, we've got the ball rolling. Time will definitely tell. I've helped a few people so far. Just stopped in with hay for dogs in the cold and was greeted warmly. I know this is not always the case. But I try. That's all I'm asking is for people to try and help. Make the effort.
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Mar 23, '13 4:57am PST 
Anonymous? What's that? laugh out loud I'm more the 'I'm taking your dog now' typeshrug

Good for you for helping the poor babyapplause The world could use more like you.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Barked: Sat Mar 23, '13 8:36am PST 
Ya know Sabi, I was thinking that, but there are other dogs there and I'm not from here so I don't have the resources like I did down south. BUT, I've found that your approach can make all the difference. When you come at them with a positive approach, and it's the women of the house not the men, you get a positive outcome - so far. Believe me down south everyone knew my vehicle. Especially the fighters, the would stand on the front of the property eyeballing me and I would wave at them and call my peeps to come and get'em! laugh out loud
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sat Mar 23, '13 12:02pm PST 
I liked your example, Turner, as sometimes this is a matter of ignorance, desperation or someone being in over their heads. It's not a simple black-and-white world where you have on one hand all the dog freaks and on the other dog abusers. Dog abusers, in my experience, are not quite as common as we might think they are. Certainly, they are out there, but a lot of times it is for issues other than a cruel heart. Sometimes, getting involved isn't near the drama you'd think it was. Sometimes...ok, rarely, but SOMETIMES....you actually get a thank you.

I actually was able to experience this through horses, and I think it made me a little richer because a lot of times people obtain horses ignorantly. Pasture on a half acre and think that's all you need. Don't float teeth. Don't understand about farriers and foot care. Then tune out as their horse's condition deteriorates. Intent to be cruel often isn't the reason, even if their horse looks like a concentration camp victim, just skin and bones and living in total misery.

My term of living in the south taught me of cultural differences, also. I was essentially sick to my stomach living down there, but it was easier to see how culturally supported things are, so that tempered my approach, or adjusted it in some way. Moving away from "they should know better!" to "that dog needs some intervention." Don't think about the people, think about the dog and then get moving.

I think the big wakeup is that there ARE provisions, systems, approaches out there to get an animal out of a bad situation. The first step you take is the hardest....there is so much internal to make you not. But then you do, and you realize more that it isn't just you against the entire world, but an entire system that is there to support you. Or, a system you can rile up or improve to make it fulfill its obligations.

To not do anything is not allowing animal welfare to advance and strengthen itself, and is only affirming the status quo. It's just that first step....take it, and from then on you probably always will. If we don't support the animal welfare system, we really don't have much rights to complain about it, IMO.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sat Mar 23, '13 7:39pm PST 
I found a dog like the one you described. Yes, do call animal control. I did and the next time I saw the dog conditions improved a lot. The poor dog was on a tangled up chain with no water, lots of poop and the dog could not enter the dog house.

It was a better the next time.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Mar 23, '13 9:02pm PST 
I provided the local SPCA with a video of a well known to them mill owner beating a heavily pregnant bitch with a shovel. Beating her to the point that she couldn't get up and was bleeding from her nose and ears. They told me they needed proof. I told them about pups being 'culled' by bashing their heads in and then being tossed in the burn barrel. Sorry but the SPCA around here is a joke. To quote them 'If the dog has food, water and shelter then we can't interfere.' Useless to the point that their employees are feeding me tips. I applaud diplomacy and tact, but there comes a time......
[notify]