GO!

The Benefit I See in Michael Vick in Dogster Magazine

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2  
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 2:56pm PST 
Wow, at first I thought no one was too interested in the article, but it really blew up in the comments.

No matter how hard you try and how well the points were articulated, I'm amazed how many people just had the knee-jerk reaction that it was a "defense of Vick" article.shrug

Reading comprehension, much? Or maybe the internet age more than ever has created a lot of scanners who don't have the attention span to finish before they react . . .

But it's true, pointed anger at Vick is a feeling, it's a rant, but it's not action. Won't shop at Barnes and Noble or Petsmart again? What will that change? Will anyone notice? It's kind of like the Monty Python movie, "Life of Brian" where the rebels just wanted to meet and talk about how much they hated the Romans, but could never actually stop talking and act on anything.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 3:38pm PST 
I lot of people there are reading things that aren't there. That = BLIND RAGE.

I got a general email from Dogster alerting subscribers to the article, along with "should we forgive Vick"....so a bit of a teaser, that! confused I am sure that's why there has been today's explosion.

All the comments, like an enraged dog chasing his pointless tail. It's time time to look at the truth of the equation. The nation has weighed in. Still fine to rant, but its odds of influencing anyone are close to zero. This goes back to an....I think....five year old, massively publicized and debated arrest.

He should be in jail? Well guess what? He isn't. And unless he does something else wrong, he's not going to one. He shouldn't be on an NFL team? Well, he is. Don't like that he has a dog, wrote a book? Well, too bad....both of those, too. Whatever it is you don't like, it's done, and aside from the feel good of ranting, it's not exactly shaking the earth's foundation.

There HAS, like it or not, been a benefit to Michael Vick....Pits got the best press perhaps ever, adoption of them is up, rescues are better funded, even tv is running Pit Bull rescue shows. No one long experienced in PB rescue didn't think this wasn't a boon. It was jarring and appalling, sure, but at the end of the day Michael Vick is a dog fighter....it's not as if you didn't know he existed. You just didn't know him specifically. But a huge name, would get the issue out there, and actually be....hello?.....Pit Bull as victim for a moment in time. And expose America to this very disconcerting and troubled culture.

To me, the big truth is that we, the dog lovers voice, aren't taken very seriously. Our own President, pre election when his reelection was in doubt, publicly endorsed both him and the hiring by the Eagles. If our voice was that strong, I doubt that would have publicized. So what does THAT say, about how powerful we appear? Not very much. And quite frankly death threats or saying he should be dismembered aren't having us appear particularly sane, either.

Particularly in this era of the internet, dog people have gotten great at being very judgmental and having a lot of opinions, without doing a heck of a lot. It amazes me, in all the comments sections of all the articles, no one seems to use it as a platform of any kind to educate. If it's not about Vick or the Vicktory Dogs, the street fought Pit goes back to being pretty nameless and forgotten. And I think that sucks.

Edited by author Tue Mar 19, '13 3:42pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2