GO!

Michael Vick's newest dog

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3  
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 2:40pm PST 
No. Neither are Milkbones. Or PetSmart. shrug
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 4:19pm PST 
I was thinking the same thing, Bianca. Seems an interesting choice both because he says he got the dog for his kids, and because it's another type of dog often seen as aggressive by the public (commonly used for K9s, bite sport, protection, ect.).
[notify]

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 5:14pm PST 
It's not odd to me. I have been rather avid against the whole pit fighting thing since the 80's, and it took me a really long time to get past that more gut reaction that this is HORRIBLE (which it is), but sometimes you need to press. You can't get to the solutions through indignation.

As far as this, those who participate in this do have a passion for a good dog. Ok, it is sick way to source out a "good" dog. And certainly in the inner city culture, it goes even more shades of all wrong than the southern boys, for then you have all this ghetto wrath falling upon these dogs. It is really ugly stuff. But they'll brag on their dogs, they will "love" them in some way. Seems twisted, but if I am to be honest, seeing some protection and bite sport people talking about weak nerved dogs, or the shy dogs people on this site love, would turn your stomach. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, the stuff I have heard. Or hunters with a poor prospect playing around with high voltage on an ecollar and watching the dog scream. It's just ugly. It's that side of the working dog we don't want to hear, and pit fighting embodies it at its worst, because you are dealing with blood and violence to start with. Those dogs are seriously doomed, leaving in the mess of our own human existence and what it exposes them to, so defenseless and prone.

The part with Michael Vick, with any fighter, that is the huge block of cement between themselves and decency is that you must START with love. Dogs don't need to earn your love. They love you as you are. Appreciate the beauty of that and reward them with the same. I know what they do is horrible. But I also think it is horrible for a breeder to bring a puppy that came out the wrong color to be euthanized. They could just find a pet home, for crying out loud. On the street, you have violence and ugliness, and that is what they do. I'd never say they are "misunderstood." Plenty of people in the inner city DO NOT DO THIS. But of course plenty of kids in the suburbs don't resort to crack or vandalizing houses, either. There are kids who are more lost, more amoral, and trek down the worst alleys their communities have to offer. Michael Vick fought dogs, messed with drugs, and for all I know ran with a gang. Probably so, from his overall record.

So Vick, I surmise, is still drawn to that "real" dog. That impressive animal. So he'll drift there. Ego is attached. I am not going to judge that, but I am going to judge that he has a long way to go to "get it." As I cannot prevent him from getting a dog, the best I can do is hope one day he has that epiphany. All those dogs did was wanted you to love them. That's it. And look at what went down. Look at what you did with that sort of purity.

Who knows. I don't care. He is within legal rights to have a dog and has one. I am not tossing and turning over it as I doubt he will abuse his pet. Maybe he'll be the same old same old and not like the dog for not being what he imagined. Hopefully his kids will love the dog....maybe they can teach him something. Who knows.

I don't read more into this than there is. He did have dogs in his life for a very long time. Some of them I presume he admired, or he wouldn't have spent a decade doing this. I do believe he feels like a pile of crap for getting arrested....he had already established a foundation for inner city kids, and now he himself was a national revulsion. Those kids mattered to him somewhere, and then all of a sudden, he, their example, was a national pariah. He deserved that fate. Now it's up to him to be responsible for his own life and decisions. Good or bad, rise or fall, that's all on Michael Vick.

He's there with his Milkbones, his chain leash, etc. Selecting PetSmart? Good word. He doesn't know what the hell he is doing. Maybe one day he will, and equally within that, all that he has done.

For me, I am still worrying on tortured dogs condemned to a horrible fate that the nation doesn't care nearly enough about. I really don't want them forgotten in all this. They suffer these every day.

Edited by author Fri Mar 8, '13 5:15pm PST

[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 5:28pm PST 
I don't find it odd that he's drawn to that type of dog, I am myself. I just think it was an interesting choice given the public's perception of him and of those dogs.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 5:45pm PST 
He's not doing this for the public, though. I think if he was, he would have played this differently. He did not advertise he had gotten a dog, he was more snooped out with the small part of a Milkbone box from a family picture on FB. I think it is hard for dog lovers to embrace that he is done with us. He's done his sentence, did his not particularly successful image recovery campaign, is back QB'ing a team (was announced the likely starter for next season), and we've all said already we would not forgive him. I say he's done with it. This is about Michael Vick and what he wants to do. That's it.
[notify]
Zigi

Zigi the Piggy

Barked: Sat Mar 9, '13 9:08pm PST 
I don't even think VICK should be able to have a gold fish let alone another dog. He got a slap on the wrist, and shame to the PHILLY Eagles for taking him. Someone who treats dogs like that... I don't want to imagine how they treat people! Im not sure if I heard this right, but he drowned, hung, etc dogs that wouldn't fight? I'd like to lock him and the other dog fighters in a ring and have them fight to the death. Its absolutely horrible how these violent human beings get community service/short amount of jail time for THEIR crimes, while some of these innocent victimized dogs are being put down. And ruining the name of some breeds... the nerve of some people!! *Ranting!!! this subject gets me heated, I have a APBT mix!
[notify]

Barked: Sat Mar 9, '13 11:47pm PST 
HERE is an article on this issue I found on Dogtime, which is so much better than what Dogster mag put up. Such a better point, and something that is somehow TRYING to take the whole Vick situation and turn it into positive for the dogs. I honestly don't know how another "I want to torture Michael Vick" comment is supposed to help dogs. We need to step away from our anger and use it as a platform to educate and turn it into something positive for the dogs!

Other things along these lines include.....

1. Michael Vick has yet to show any true compassion towards what he did to his dogs. And at the same time you see people post "it's not like he hurt anyone!" We really, seriously need to get our country to the point where viewing animals as "things" to use is not acceptable! I personally didn't really expect that from MV when he first got out. I am not sure why anyone did. I don't know really HOW someone could do such things and still be equating these as living feeling beings who only want to love you. I don't think you're even "there." I personally think we need to get there, as a country.

2. Michael Vick should not have been allowed back on a pro team. I think we as dog lovers need to be a LOT more strident about boycotting things and being viewed as a presence with organizations (of many kinds), as clearly....CLEARLY....we are not being taken that seriously. confused No one could have been THAT much of an idiot to think it wouldn't have upset "those pet people." So the only answer is that we as a group don't come off as all that strong of an interest. That's sort of like Obama who said he'd get a shelter dog and obviously didn't. I know a lot of people were upset by that, but it doesn't seem to me that his advisors told him that would be "inadvisable." I consider these sorts of things wake up calls. How are we viewed, what is considered the power of our voice? Not much.

3. Michael Vick should not be allowed to own another animal ever again. This is the sad status of humane law in this country. It is an indication that animals who suffer aren't ultimately viewed as "victims," IMO. And that needs to change. Until then, the same law that told Michael Vick he did something bad and had to pay wasn't particularly viewing these animals as victims who needed to be protected in future.

These are all wakeup calls for us. How much do we have a voice here, as dog lovers? How much do we impression the world around us? Michael Vick participated in an activity that has a presence in most major regions of this country....and indeed internationally....that was tagged as inhumane more than a century ago. The sentence he received, pretty par for the course. Floyd Boudreaux, the don of pit breeders, got off entirely. HERE is his yard today...some of the premiere pit fighting genes in the world. He got ZILCH. Let alone a total lack of national outrage. Floyd freaking Boudreaux.

And secondly, to really look to how the nation, at the end of the day, responded to this.

To really look at the penalties our justice system saw fit to give Michael Vick....and before someone claims partial treatment, let me remind that the internationally famed, multi generation pit fighting Boudreaux family got NOTHING.

And what in the end the NFL saw as the "power of the pet people," or lack thereof. And whose fault is that really? If we do not make our voices, our dollars and our votes more known....whose fault is that?

Who fixes this but us?
[notify]
Baby

What'd you say?- I wasn't- listening.

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 10:19pm PST 
I haven't completely read through this thread quite yet but it was mentioned the dog had a normal collar on.

Petsmart as a strict policy on all dogs in their classes must be wearing a flat buckle or a harness. Chokes and prongs are not allowed. E-Collars certainly aren't and just vibrating collars that look like e-collars aren't either if they have it on a deaf dog for recall and want privates or group classes because it will confuse customers. While working with a dog privately and their pet parent to help teach the dog a recall we made an exception only if a bandana was placed over it.

So who knows what Vick will put on outside of the class.

ETA: And to Ophelia, not as an attack, I actually had a lovely time working at PetSmart (for the most part). I had a terrific manager though we had a difference in thought on the role I should play there. He thought I should be in sales and was hell-bent on getting a position of rank in order to get me to stay and I wanted to be in a room all day training people and dogs and learning what I could from my superior. I did, however, in my limited experience feel as if I knew the system of rewards based training better than she did and thus felt my time there was lacking; I signed up to become a better trainer and felt I would not be able to do so in the environment. Not to say she was incompetent, in fact she is of high caliber considering the typically renounced training of petsmart and beats a lot of the trainers I've seen floating around the city.

Edited by author Sun Mar 10, '13 10:31pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3