GO!

PETA

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ginny- Weasley

Biiiiig kisses!

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 5:25pm PST 
Hmm... so I've decided to do my own research into PETA, since I've heard so much good and bad (mainly bad) and wanted to see what it really is all about. I've just been doing some primary research and going over their policies, and I'm a bit confused by their view on Feral Cats (http://www.peta.org/about/why-peta/feral-cats.aspx). (Sorry, I know that this is a dog forum but I figured I could post this here anyway. If it's inappropriate then I apologize; I'm new here. :p)

Basically, they explain why they see "trapping, vaccinating, altering, and releasing feral cats" as not in the animals' best interests UNLESS they are "isolated from roads, people, and animals who could harm them, are regularly attended to by people who not only feed them but also provide them with veterinary care, and are kept in areas where they do not have access to wildlife and the weather is temperate."

What I basically want to ask them is, what alternative do they propose? They don't mention one on that page. ^^ Is it euthanasia? Not saying that I agree with this (I don't at all), BUT if it is the case then I am confused by their euthanasia page (http://www.peta.org/issues/companion-animals/euthanasia.aspx). Here they say that "the only way to stop the suffering of the innocent victims of companion animal overpopulation is to prevent their births through sterilization efforts" and that "until dog and cat overpopulation is brought under control through spaying and neutering, we must prevent the suffering of unwanted animals [through euthanasia]."

So my question is, if they ARE advocating for euthanasia as a better alternative to trapping, spaying/neutering feral cats, and releasing them, then what's up with the contradiction advocating for spaying/neutering in order to put an END to euthanasia?

I'm confused. Does anyone more familiar with the organization have any input?

Edited by author Sat Jan 5, '13 6:12pm PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 6:41pm PST 
Yes, the only solution that they are proposing is euthanasia. There is a vet who is into peta around here who traps and kills any loose cats. She offers discounts on appointments and things if you bring in some strays for her to euthanise. It really freaks the hell out of me. She's a really good example of a peta fanatic. silenced
[notify]
Ginny- Weasley

Biiiiig kisses!

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 7:16pm PST 
That is SO weird... and kind of awful, if you ask me, especially because it's really difficult to tell if a cat is feral just by plucking it off the streets -- I mean, it's been living on the streets! Of course it's going to be scared and defensive! Plus, there are so many places -- foster homes, rescue groups, trainers, etc -- that have had success domesticating "feral" cats. I'm surprised people still go to that vet!
[notify]

Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 7:22pm PST 
They may put up a front or can be a little smoke and mirrors about how they really feel (if they were more transparent that might scare away their celebrity endorsers and donators), but their ultimate solution to the "problem" of dogs and cats existing as pets, or in the case of feral cats and pit bulls, existing at all, is euthanasia. Any multi-million dollar organization who euthanizes over 96% of its shelter intake at its headquarters, while other shelters with 2 pennies to rub together have outstanding adoption rates, is an organization who makes it their business to euthanize.

Edited by author Sat Jan 5, '13 7:23pm PST

[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 5:16am PST 
Yet so many people absolutely love PETA without really looking into what they are about.
[notify]
Colt

A cute little- devil.

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 9:33am PST 
I've always had a difficult time understanding their stance on euthanasia and feral cats in particular. Feral cats are NOT miserable animals in general. I would say most of them are living happy, fulfilling lives ( of course, there are exceptions, and I do think that suffering cats should be euthanized if there is no alternative). But, the majority of them are just fine, and the benefits of TNR are pretty obvious in my opinion.

I guess the assumption I've had about PETA is that they put more value on the hope that animals never experience pain or discomfort than on the animal's own life. That it's better to just kill them than take that chance, even when there's a good chance that the animal will have a normal life.
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 5:18pm PST 
PETA or at least in the higher ranks doesn't want any animals in captivity but I don't know how that applies to feral cats. TNR programmes work much better than mass euthanasia, you take one colony away and another is just going to take its place.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 9:23pm PST 
PETA believes there should be no contact at all between humans and animals. There's no way you can have a TNR cat colony without human involvement. Also, feral cats will, to some extent even when fed, prey on animals PETA regards as more worthy than cats because they are "really" wild. Basically, PETA=People for the Extinction of Tame Animals.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 8:42am PST 
PETA doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

They promote vegan diets for pets, and then turn around and say that pets are equivalent to human slaves.

They say we're murderers for farming animals, but they capture animals and put them to sleep in their own facility.

They are against animal testing and pro arson against laboratories, but their vice-president uses a medication only found by animal testing.

It's just a giant hypocrisy. PETA hires celebrities to endorse their "cause" and make it look cool, then takes the money from people who don't know any better, and doesn't do any good with it.

Honestly, Penn and Teller always tells it best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVqS3yYx-7M (WARNING: lots of language)
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 1:25pm PST 
Charlie, that video is one of the best I've seen made about PETA. I understand some people may be offended by the duo's language... but the facts are there. I would support PETA if all they wanted was animals who were in medical research or being raised for meat to be treated humanely (to have fresh food and water, to have adequate living conditions and to have a quick and relatively pain free death). But instead they have to go off the deep end.

It made me so sad when there was a PETA club developed in my high school... all the girls went vegetarian and had announcement about the 'mistreatment' of animals and took donations and did fundraisers to send to PETA... made me sad because almost all of them had pets and loved their animals. Just not able to recognize the difference between animals rights and animal welfare.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2