GO!

Licensing for selling dogs

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 6:30pm PST 
Help me out Dogsters who are more savvy with these sort of things.

Is there any particular licencing one must have to sell puppies/dogs out of a business?

To complicate things for you- what if this business is NOT a pet store, and the selling of the puppies is not the primary venue? AND assume the business owner leases the property he's in?

For instance, Billy Bob leases space in a shopping center for a hardware store, and is selling puppies he either bred himself or bought to sell from his store.

Are there any laws regarding this? Would he need any sort of special licencing or zoning or something?

Where would I search to find this information if its a local matter? If there IS licensing involved, is any of that public record? Like could I get in touch with the BBB and find out if they do, in fact, have a licence?
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 6:37pm PST 
I don't have the answer to your primary question, but as far as looking things up, a business does not have to be a member/registered with the BBB, so technically you would want to look things like that up through your state's government site -- this kind of info could be searchable depending on what state you're in... like New York State has a website for NYS Division of Corporations & State Records that is searchable.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 6:56pm PST 
You might want to contact The Puppy Mill Project- www.thepuppymillproject.org (sorry if dogster puts spaces in there). They are a group based out of Illinois. The people in the group are very knowledgeable about the legalities of selling/breeding puppies, even if it's not in a mill set up.
[notify]

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 7:45pm PST 
Thanks so much guys.

I've sent an email to the puppymillproject people, hopefully they can point me in the direction of what I need to know.
[notify]
Stella

I'm from Broken- Bow, we don't- play that!

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 8:03pm PST 
As far as I know, you would need a business license. Both pet stores and animal shelters need them. Shelters also require 501 non profit status.

Breeders who say, eleven breeding dogs require a USDA license.

There are documented cases of several groups who aquire dogs they claim to 'rescue' when in fact these dogs are being resold for profit.

The majority of these dogs are stolen or pulled from shelters.

As for leomon laws, you'd have to research the ones for your state, as mentioned before.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 8:09pm PST 
One place to start is with the landlord/property owner - assuming this fellow's renting space for this endeavor. You might find out if selling live animals is part of the lease agreement for that retail space. thinking

You can also contact your attorney general to find out what, if any, licensing is needed for retail sales of pet animals.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 8:16pm PST 
Good Luck!
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 8:52pm PST 
I've actually spoken to the property manager of the shopping center where this is going on, and while he's told me no one is allowed to be selling animals out of the stores... nothing has ever been done about it, despite advertising being posted EVERYWHERE and me sending them photos of the dogs.

Pretty sure money is being slipped under the table, but that's just gossip.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 9:52pm PST 
It is my understanding that once you begin selling puppies you did not breed, you become an animal broker at which time licensing does in fact come into play.
I am pretty sure this falls under the department of agriculture. This is over and above any state or local licensing which may or may not be in place as well.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 12:47am PST 
Whatever it is you're onto, Mulder, you should pmail Toto if you haven't. She knows everything or can find it out. Her and Jackal Jackson, who is a badarse and a cool lady also. Good luck, whatever it is.

There are lemon laws here in RI.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2