GO!

Dogster's Watch Dog Thinks It's Wrong to Chain Dogs

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Beasley

I'm the Bee's- Knees!

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 12:35pm PST 
I have a neighbor here in San Francisco that keeps his dog chained in the backyard. It has always bothered me, and this article has really inspired me to do something about it. Do you think it is none of my business?

What have you done to improve the lives of tethered and chained dogs ?
Vanna

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 6:09pm PST 
It's none of your business.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 8:41pm PST 
I agree with Vanna. If it has shelter and water, and does not look abused/neglected, then it really isn't any of your business. The article was ok, but really there are situations where someone is going to have to tie out their dog for a while, and there are many people who keep their dogs in pens/kennels (which that article was also against). Btw, my dog stays inside, but I also have a pen at my parents property for when we visit because my dad has bad asthma and can't have animals inside. Just saying don't pass judgement without knowing all the facts. Where the dog stays does not always automatically make a person a good or bad pet owner.
[notify]

Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 9:32pm PST 
Having a dog chained up outside "for a while" and having a dog chained up outside 24/7 with little to no human interaction are two different things, I think that should be fairly obvious....and yes, unfortunately there are many, many people who still chain their dogs, far away from human interaction, and they spend their entire lives there. Totally different ballgame from what you described, Guest. Dogs were specifically bred to be social with human beings -- fact. I have no problem with well-cared for outside dogs that get to do a lot of fun activities and get a lot of daily interaction with their family and have well-maintained, weather-proof sheltering -- that's not what the author of the article is describing. I don't know why people who have dogs that live on chains 24 hours a day, 7 days a week without giving them more than a backwards glance even bother having a dog -- makes no sense to me at all.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 7:19am PST 
I think it's not exactly cut and dried. What are the consequences for non-compliance? Are owners fined? How much? What happens if they don't pay? Will authorities confiscate a dog for non-compliance? Are there systems in place for those who want to comply but can't afford help with training or a fence? What about dogs that are not strictly pets? How are working dogs to be housed if kennels and runs aren't legal? How will such ordinances be enforced?

To be honest, it's frequently lower income pet owners who are adversely affected by such ordinances and I have a problem with that. I'm certainly not a fan of tying dogs out, but if no-chain laws (with no provisions for counseling) put more dogs in shelters, how is that improving the life of those dogs??
[notify]

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 9:21am PST 
^^^^^^^^^^ Agree ^^^^^^^^^^

What's going to happen when the owners of the chained dogs can't keep their dogs? Some of the chained dogs are guard dog which are unchained at night for guarding properties...

Where will the dogs end up at and what will happen to them? cry
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 4:00pm PST 
Chaining dogs is not okay. I would make an effort to help the dog you see chained. It is your business, cruelty is everyone's business.
[notify]
Freckels -

i\'m a big teddy- bear dog

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 7:56pm PST 
I live in a Alaska and here in Alaska there are alot of mushers. All of these mushers tie up their sled dogs. These dogs live out side their wholw lives and they live a good life. So if this dog looks like it is in good condition than it is none of your bussiness, but if does not then you need to do something and it is some your bussiness. Their many reasons people tie up their dogs.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 9:28am PST 
I think something should always be said either to the owner or reported to the authorities. We have dogs in the neighborhood who are outside the whole day while their owners are at work...BARKBARRKBARKGRRRBARKBARKKROWWWWFBARKBARKBARKBARKGRRRBARKBARK ,it drives humans and other surrounding dogs nuts and it's terrible for the dogs in question as well.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 9:32am PST 
I might also add we live in a heavily populated suburban area so backyards are stacked right next to each other. If one dog barks for the day it sets off the whole block and beyond.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3