GO!

Finding Rudy

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 5 of 7: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Rudy

Don't let- anything come- between you

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 10:42pm PST 
Got a reminder today for my follow up appointment.

So close yet feels so far away.

Found something interesting today. Take a look:

Rescue Raids

http://www.thedogpress.com/SideEffects/Rescue-Raids_LP.asp
[notify]
Rudy

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 4:03pm PST 
Back from the appointment and... it looks like the only thing I can do at this point is go to small claims court. I will check with legal aid and animal control and at some point submit my story to the local news but that's about it.cry
[notify]
Ellie

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 8:18am PST 
hughughughug
[notify]

Rudy

Barked: Tue Nov 20, '12 11:10am PST 
Thanks Ellie.

I plan to contact legal aid and animal control.

I did come across two people who might have my dog but confronting them about it wouldn't be the best idea.

If anybody is on facebook, feel free to like my new page

Finding Rudy

https://www.facebook.com/#!/searching4rudy?fref=ts
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 12:37pm PST 
In the majority of cases where Service Dogs are stolen, it is because the owner/handler has done something stupid like leave the dog outside unattended.

While registration paperwork is nice to have, it doesn't necessarily prove that a particular dog is yours. All of my APBTs have their registration numbers tattooed on their inner thigh; this, paired with their registration papers is generally considered irrefutable proof of ownership.

As far as the Oregon case where the guy got his dog back, it was because the finder didn't follow the state's ordinance(s) for claiming a found dog.
[notify]
Rudy

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 7:47pm PST 
But when the woman was given the direct order to return the dog she refused and was sued for theft, now she's in prison.

Prior to that she tried to find anything she could to make the guy look like he mistreated the dog but none of her claims were credible.

She was even given a 1 week extension to prove ownership and never did.
[notify]
Rudy

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 10:52am PST 
Well, so far I feel one step closer to having Rudy back.

Got a call back from legal aid and got a recommendation to a self help legal center to get the forms I need including one for a demand which would lead to a subpena if nobody responds.

I also came across a photo taken outside at the shelter recently. The dog in the background seems to resemble Rudy in terms of anatomy, size and similar markings.

Granted the background is blurry but I can't help but think, who is that dog?

Came across this the other night. The owner did get the dog back but here's the story. It's just not right!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GvVLEZPx60
[notify]
Rudy

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 8:55pm PST 
Sorry for not posting in a long time.

I went down to legal aid a few days ago and was able to talk with a different lawyer. This one said a case like mine would normally be handled by a district court. So, small claims wouldn't work. She also told me where I can get additional legal help, so that made a difference.

In the meantime I plan to post more flyers in different places and try some of the things she recommended.

I also found some information regarding pet law that could help my case.

Other than that, I feel one step closer.

I have no doubt in my mind I'll get my dog backhappy dance
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 2:50pm PST 
I've never heard of an animal shelter boarding private pay clients. Most are 100% non-profit and to my knowledge can't provide services like that and still retain their non-profit status. Add to that you can clearly see there is desperate need for the space as evidenced by the fact that once an a spot is vacated another pet is right there waiting to take it's place.

Also, at every shelter I've ever been to former owners are asked to fill out paperwork asking for information on their dogs routines, likes and dislikes, training, quirks etc. at the time of surrender. That information collected is invaluable when it comes to successfully rehoming a dog with a new family.

None of that is unusual in any way shape or form.

I don't understand:
1). why you waited nearly a year to finally take legal action if indeed this happened within days of you dropping her off and

2). why you didn't keep any paperwork you were given from the shelter when you dropped her of so you had record of your "boarding" agreement

I'd never hand over one of my dogs to anyone, much less a shelter, without a contract stating the situation was temporary and they would be returned to me sight unseen.

Every shelter I've adopted from and volunteered for draws a hard line between whoever surrendered the dog and it's new owners, even going to so far as to issue the pet new rabies/license tags to ensure they can't be tracked down. This is to prevent people who surrender their pets from changing their mind after the fact and trying to steal their pet back from the new owners, harass them, or from trying to claim their pet was stolen by people who have legally adopted them from shelters. I see it on Craigslist all the time, people searching for their cats and dogs they surrendered because they feel bad, begging for information from their pets new owners, venting about how the shelters won't release anything to them and that's not fair or right (even though it's something they clearly signed off on when they dropped off their animal).

I would be LIVID if Triggers old owners were given my personal information by the rescue who adopted him out. His previous owners abandoned him and we are his family now and have been for nearly 8 years now. That right to privacy and confidentiality protects the pets being adopted out and new owners.

I am sorry that things didn't work out for you, but your story just doesn't make sense in my experience.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 3:24pm PST 
Trigger, shrugshrug
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 7: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7