GO!

Anyone heard of dog flipping?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 49)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 12:41pm PST 
"A friend of mine who runs a rescue group talked about how she got a weird phone call from somebody asking if the dogs she had were for sale, she explained that they were not for sale but there was an adoption fee and what was involved in adopting a dog. After a couple of minutes, she hung up the phone."
That is a pretty near DAILY experience here with our rescue AND also was at the shelter I managed. I suspect it is common at ANY shelter or rescue as well. Of course the average person thinks the dogs are for sale...why not? Most of them do not understand the difference between an adoption fee/donation or a sellers fee. Really, what IS the difference, just a name!
Many people also expect rescues and shelters to give the dogs away for nothing, this is an extremely common belief and why not??? These same places are always having fundraisers and asking for donations, why would someone necessarily know the animals WEREN'T free????
If I had a nickel for every call I got asking if the animals were "for sale" or "free", I would be rich!!!
As for flipping being inhumane, "Why dog flipping is considered inhumane is because the dogs are put under stress and they aren't treated the best way. Many that do return home are underweight and scared out of their mind. But the point is dog flippers don't care who they sell dogs to they just want somebody to buy the dog." why is this any different than a dog being in ANY shelter or rescue situation?? Unless shelters are different where you are, here they are noisy, crowded and extremely stressful for ANY dog, much less one who is lost or strayed.
And, why is it any different for a dog flipper to not care who they sell to than a pet store selling a puppy to anyone who walks in and wants it? I do not know of one single pet store that does any type of home check prior to selling a puppy...if you have the money or can borrow it, the dog is yours. How is this any different????

Edited by author Mon Nov 26, '12 12:48pm PST

[notify]
Stella

I'm from Broken- Bow, we don't- play that!

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 8:02pm PST 
It's different because flippers don't care if the dog they flip already belongs to somebody, they can and do steal dogs so they can sell them. Many people who have done this have been charged or went to jail because they stole a dog and resold it.

There are plenty of ties between dog theft and flipping.

There's dozens of people including the ASPCA who agree dog flipping is wrong.

It's been banned in Canada.

----

At this point, let's agree to disagree.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 8:23pm PST 
I think we all agree flipping a stolen dog is wrong. Indeed, it is SO wrong that it is a crime.

If the dog was obtained from someone wishing to rid themselves of it, however, the flipper is just seizing the opportunity presented by someone who isn't caring particularly much about their own pet. Who could just as easily end up sold to bunchers, who in turn profit from selling these animals as bait dogs or to research facilities. Horrible endings.

You can't lose sight of that. The original owner put the dog on Craig'slist without doing much research as to the potential tragic outcomes of offering a dog for free and then chucked the animal to the dude who came along without bothering to ask many questions.

Toto is a dog breeder and I cochair a rescue and we both see this the same way. If there is some cry of "inhumane," then the proper target is the rehomer, who MADE a promise to the dog they are now ridding themselves of and put in little effort to at least manage THAT with some level of care and discretion.

The moral of this isn't the flippers....it is to fulfill the promise you made to your pet and not go tossing him up on Craig'slist for free.

Edited by author Mon Nov 26, '12 8:25pm PST

[notify]

Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 8:58pm PST 
Toto and Tiller: hail

There you have it!
Stella

I'm from Broken- Bow, we don't- play that!

Barked: Mon Nov 26, '12 9:05pm PST 
Good point.

One thing that's been pointed out is dog flippers, like puppy mill owners and scammers don't think what they do is wrong, it doesn't bother them until they get caught.
[notify]
Merlin

Until there's- none.....

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 12:41pm PST 
Further, yes, rescues do tend to take the most "desirable" dogs and puppies. There are purebred rescues, in example. It is generally beneficial to these dogs, though, to be placed through a purebred rescue group rather than the shelter itself.

As for the all-breed rescues that seem to cherry-pick the most adoptable dogs: yes, they do that.

I can not stress enough that in my area, that is not the standard practice. In fact, many shelters will blacklist your rescue completely if you do that. I am working now with an all breed rescue, used to work for a small breed rescue focusing on poms and pekes, and have friends who work in many different breed rescues, including friends who work with the National Breed rescue for Belgians and Cattle Dogs. Even they say they don't get the call for every dog of their breed, they don't get to pick, and taking the best would negate what they do.

I think it is rescues that DO cherry pick that make JQP think that ALL rescues do that, and I have heard it listed as a reason people won't use rescues.

In my area, the way things work is the shelter calls the rescue if their breed of choice (or in the case of all breed, if ANY breed) is in trouble. We don't get calls for that adorable 3 month old puppy, we get calls for the sick, the seniors, the ones that don't show well, the ones who have behavioral issues and the ones whose time is up. All of my fosters that have been pulled from shelters have come out of the back rooms. I never pull dogs on the adoption floor and most of my rescue friends say exactly the same thing.

There is ONE rescue in this area, a huge lab rescue, who DOES get to cherry pick, but even they generally don't, preferring to help the dogs who truly need help rather than the ones who are not at risk. And to me, that is what rescue is REALLY about, not helping that cute, happy, young puppy who could just as easily be adopted from the shelter floor, but helping to save the life of a dog whose time is up.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 1:48pm PST 
Sigh...if I was independently wealthy...
Wish I could set up a sanctuary and once a month or so visit the local kill shelters and pick up the skinny, sad and timid...the way Sophie looked when we brought her home. Not worry about placing them, just have a beautiful forever group home set up for them, I can dreamrainbowrainbowrainbow
[notify]

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 4:36pm PST 
Opheila, that is a wonderful dream...that would be amazing to be able to do that. Of course, I wouldn't be able to stop at dogs...I would want to have cats, small animals, horses, etc...even wildlife if they need to be rehabbed. That would be awesome! cloud 9

~Twist
[notify]
Merlin

Until there's- none.....

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 3:40am PST 
Opheilia, placing them is so fulfilling. It breaks my heart when they leave, but when you get the pictures and the emails telling you how loved the dog is in their new home, it helps heal your heart and prepares you for the next one.

And that is what we so, we take the sick, the unwanted, the ones who have issues, and we make them adoptable pets. In the interim, they live in our homes and sleep on our beds and we give them all the love we give our own dogs.

Right now, my foster (I on;y have one as the other went home on Monday) is a dog with a bite record with the state. Tough little man to adopt out. He may become mine, IDK, but while we wait and see he sleeps in my arms every night, safe, with no fears.

No cute little puppies for me. Unless they are born in our rescue or surrendered by owners, we leave those behind BECAUSE they are adoptable. I'll take the real hard luck cases and make sure they win the lottery.

Have you considered working with a rescue, Ophelia?
[notify]
  (Page 5 of 5: Viewing entries 41 to 49)  
1  2  3  4  5