GO!

Anyone heard of dog flipping?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 3 of 5: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '12 4:02pm PST 
I knew that the Amish were big into puppy mills but I couldn't believe how many of them I saw in that video.
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '12 7:47pm PST 
Tiller, your post about giving the other dog a name was really touching.

I never knew black dogs were hard to adopt out, until after I got Ace. I was torn between her and a black chow/lab mix named China. Both were with rescues, not kill shelters, so I knew they'd both survive, but afterwards, I felt guilty about not taking China.

But hopefully she's found a home by now too.
[notify]
Rudy

Don't let- anything come- between you

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '12 8:04pm PST 
Yeah, I didn't know that many were involved either.

In Rudy's home state(Iowa) there's a lot of puppymills in Sioux county.

But Missouri and Pennsylvannia are said to have the highest numbers.

Dogs that are stolen and resold or flipped end up in places like this, which is sad.

Dog flippers pay little or nothing for the dogs they resell. Depending on the breed, they mark up the price.
[notify]

Stella

I'm from Broken- Bow, we don't- play that!

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '12 9:14pm PST 
Just a note this thread covers dog flipping and pet theft.

So please stay on topic here.

Here's an article on how to keep an eye out for a rescue that is a scam. After I read this, I found a lot of things on the list in common with a group in my town.

Fraudulent Rescues

http://petadvocatesnetwork.org/wordpress/tag/fraudulent-r escues/
[notify]
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 11:45am PST 
Um Stella, the article you just posted is not about dog flipping or pet theft. thinking It's about fraudulent rescues and doesn't say anything about either of those topics. Sort of a bizarre paranoid article, but it seems like they are talking about fake rescues that don't actually have, care for, or adopt out any animals? Like a smokescreen just to get donations?
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 12:25pm PST 
I agree, and the article was really madness to me. I did not like it at all, and found it injurious.

.....What my address is? Why I am going to give an internet stranger my address? No way! In fact, I don't even give my phone out until I have an application. I am a VOLUNTEER and do not have the time nor patience to deal with the myriad of one hour phone calls that are just a part of rescue.
There are SEVENTEEN questions on that one section. I say what a disrespect to people who are volunteering time they do not have. Do your research! Are they a respected rescue in your community? Ok then. NEXT! laugh out loud

.....Posting of photos? Heck, Duncan has a article coming up on Dogster and although it is nothing but flattery contacted the adopter to ask her PERMISSION. A lot of people are not comfortable having their pictures on the 'net. We ONLY post pictures of adopters with their express permission. We hold adoption events regularly. Managing crazy wriggling dogs, fields of inquiries. Who is supposed to be taking pictures, and WHY? We have better things to do with our time.

....." they don’t have cutesy irrelevant stories or post long tear stricken stories about the ones they had to euthanize ." I find this grossly offensive. I think enlightening the public is part of rescue's JOB. Some people are very emotional about it. Bad them? Are you kidding me?!

AND..........drumroll............

"On a personal note I believe a rescue that supports and defends kill shelters and does not advocate for shelter reform should be avoided as well"

Ok, that just made me pop a blood vessel. I AM that rescue. And do you want to know why? For all the wonderful shelter people we deal with whose hearts break every day. For all the above and beyond things they have done for us. For all the dogs they have pleaded for us to take. For Sweet Momma, a Rottie mother who saw all her puppies die and they had no money to heartworm treat her but did so anyway and then BEGGED us.

It is that sort of nonsense that brings INJURY to the world of shelter/rescue. Why is a shelter supposed to want to work with rescues who thinks they are twisted, lazy or indifferent? Developing a GOOD relationship with a shelter in crisis, having some respect for what they go through EVERY DAY creates a partnership.

I would say run like a bat out of hell from any rescue that trashes shelters in a generalized way. They don't help this, they HARM this, for a very part of shelter reform is to have shelters partnering with rescues. If rescue is only into being judgmental, having no sense of humanity towards what is like to work in a kill shelter, and to think horrid thoughts....how are those partnerships ever to form?
[notify]
Ikan

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 4:42pm PST 
After reading all of this. I am glad my dogs have chips in them in case they are taken or get lost.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 5:50pm PST 
Good point, Ikkan!!! Dog auctions cannot take microchipped dogs...it is illegal and if caught with them, they know the fees are extremely high. In the same way, professional dog thieves will scan any and all dogs they "find". Any with chips will be turned back out into the street.
And, finally, a chipped dog, registered to you, removes all the issues of your having to prove the dog is yours...there is no he said, she said.
[notify]
Stella

I'm from Broken- Bow, we don't- play that!

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 8:00pm PST 
Good point. But there are dogs that are stolen and one of the ways they get back home is because their microchipped.

Actually the fraud rescues do tie in with this because fake rescues have turned out to be the worst dog flipping cases.

It's not just pet dogs that are stolen, dogs pulled from shelters have been flipped too.

Flippers even go after pet store puppies, dogs from breeders and even snatch dogs from parks. I even read about service and at least one K-9 unit german shepherd being stolen.

That's pretty low when a person steals a service dog.

Most of the dogs that are coming up missing or stolen in my area have been large dogs like pitbulls, huskies and the like. The others have been toy breeds like yorkies.

Many people who left their dogs with friends they thought they could trust have gone back to pick up the dog only to find that the 'friend' gave away or sold the dog to somebody else.

That's just wrong.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 8:32pm PST 
"Most of the dogs that are coming up missing or stolen in my area have been large dogs like pitbulls, huskies and the like."

Those are bait dogs. They'd be lucky to get flipped, but such will not be their fate.

In terms of people flipping shelter dogs, the majority of pulled dogs are neither spayed/neutered or vetted. It is very hard to flip shelter dogs and follow ethical rescue guidelines (i.e., vetted, speutered).

Sometimes really good intentions go awry, and some of what is being said here casts a negative light on some very good rescues.

I would like to know the breakdown as to how a rescue "flips" a dog pulled from a shelter? In the majority of cases, the status of both behavior and health is a crapshoot.

Edited by author Sun Nov 25, '12 8:33pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 3 of 5: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5