GO!

Can we get justice for Balto?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 11:24am PST 
I don't live in Florida, but I ran across the tragic case of Balto, adopted out by Miami-Dade Animal Services, on Facebook, and my blood is boiling.

A beautiful healthy Siberian Husky was "rescued" from MDAS in August. In early October, this same dog was returned to the shelter in absolutely deplorable condition. I'll post pictures later, but I can't seem to get into Facebook on my browser right now... But be warned, they are deeply disturbing). (Or, if you are on Facebook, you should probably be able to find his story) He was bleeding all over from skin problems and possibly other wounds. His neck was raw, most likely from being chained up outside. By the time he was returned to the shelter, he had practically no skin or fur on his legs, it was just raw infected bleeding... Or so it looks from the photos I have seen.

The shelter was going to euthanize him because he was in so much pain, but a rescue was heroically organized through the Urgent Dogs of MDAS Facebook page, and he was taken in for veterinary care. Sadly, he did not survive.

Remember, this all happened to this poor boy in less than two months. He was returned to the shelter in early October after being adopted in August. When the owner surrendered him, she provided them with a prescription dated 9/19 that had not been filled. So, apparently, she took him to the vet, but would not treat his condition and let him suffer for two more weeks before surrendering him.

I cannot imagine a more clearcut example of animal neglect. I am not a Floridian, but I can't imagine there aren't some laws against animal abuse and neglect. Balto's condition upon return was well documented, but charges are not being pressed against the prior owner. I can't fathom this. To the best of my knowledge, the owner did not allege Balto had a pre-existing condition. It seems pretty clear that Balto was left outside in humid, hot Miami for lengthy periods of time, conditions utterly inhumane for an Arctic breed.

Please, if there is anyone out there in Miami, or even in Florida, who can get this case re-opened and the prior owner prosecuted, please help get word out. Anyone with connections to the DA or MDAS or the mayor or council members, or news outfits.... Anyone?
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 12:15pm PST 
Gosh, I always wonder why people even try to adopt animals if they're not gonna treat them right. It's disgusting. frown
[notify]
Ace

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 2:57pm PST 
Correction to earlier post, as I'm getting more information. Apparently, Balto DID have a MINOR case of demodex when adopted out in August. The UNFILLED prescription was dated 9/9, not 9/19. So the owner didn't fill the prescription and dumped the dog almost a month later.

There are no words.

Apparently, MDAS has real issues on a number of levels, from what I am reading. I don't live there, but I would love for anyone who does to chime in and see what they can do on the local level, to 1. try to re-open the case to prosecute owner for neglect, and 2. improve operation of MDAS.
[notify]

Yoshi

XD

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 6:34pm PST 
I remember watching animal cops Miami, and there was a case where they'd adopted out a pair of boxers, and both dogs were then returned to the shelter with sever sarcoptic mange. At least that's what I think it was. MDAS does need to fix some issues.
[notify]
Ace

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 8:02pm PST 
If someone can help me with how to post pictures, it would be greatly appreciated.
[notify]
Ace

Barked: Mon Oct 15, '12 10:53am PST 
Pictures and more info on blog. Please help get word out.

http://nokoolaidjustgoldwater.wordpress.com/2012/10/15/justi ce-for-balto/
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Oct 15, '12 5:20pm PST 
Maybe you could start a petition then forward the results to the State Attorney General?
[notify]