GO!

The PitBull Discussion

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 6 of 7: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
In Loving- Memory of- Chance

The dog who- didn't stand a- chance

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 6:19pm PST 
Regarding small dog owners picking their dogs up, you shouldn't always take it personally. Sometimes they are just being biased bigots. However, that isn't always the case. With Sandy, I tend to avoid most terriers - pit bull, yorkie, etc - on walks. Not because I think they're bad dogs, but because Sandy doesn't get along with terriers. I may walk past (as I find it ideal to get her used to being around them, at the very least), but I'll cross the street to avoid walking right next to you. She got used to Lilo, but that took a lot of time. I find a lot of pit bull owners take things too personally. Though, having had Lilo for many years, I can understand why.

I wouldn't say pit bulls are the sweetest dogs I've ever owned. But they're pretty high up there - if they are well raised AND well bred (yes, despite what many bully advocates will tell you, genetics DO play a large role in a dog's disposition). They were bred, after all, to be as people friendly as possible. For the sport they were expected to perform they had to be tolerant of their handlers. So, they were and are exceptionally loyal dogs. But "sweetest dog" is subjective. There is only one sweetest dog, and every dog owner has him. wink

Many pit bull owners I have known have been far too defensive, even for my liking. I was attacked by dogs a few years ago. Not pit bulls, but I always leave breed out regardless as their breed had nothing to do with it (rather than their upbringing, which was poor). Still, to this day, I'm a bit afraid around big dogs who I do not know. I'll be on edge and may even refuse to enter a house until I've interacted with them while they are on leash. Most big dog owners seem to understand this and give me time to warm up to the dog. But as soon as I tell this to a pit bull owner, they jump on me accusing me of being "one of those", completely ignoring the fact that I have Princess and had Lilo at home and loved them very much. It was never against the breed, but many people who have been attacked by animals may carry a fear for some years. [i]This is normal[/i]. If you are like me and trying to get over the fear, I do not see why people would jump down your throat and accuse you of being prejudice of their dog. I love pit bulls, I always will. But I will be afraid of strange, large dogs until I get past the fear I developed after the attack a few years back.

Many other pit bull owners, though, are pretty chill. I love these people. You know the type. They love their dog and they don't need approval from anyone. They know that their opinion about the dog is the only one that matters. They fight for their rights as dog owners. They fight BSL, may even help a pit bull rescue. But they are less likely to accuse you of being a bigot, and more likely to attempt to educate you in a kind, polite way. Pit bull owners, really, are as different as the dogs they own. (For once again, upbringing and genetics play a role in pit bulls and all dogs)

Most pit bulls I have met have been very friendly dogs. Many of them (a vast majority, actually) have been hyper. But that's to be expected from a working breed (and a breed with "terrier" in the name). I have only met a couple aggressive ones and they have all been in bad situations (over bred or outside on a chain neglected if not both). I have met one reactive one, but reactivite and aggressive are not one in the same. I disagree with BSL. It's a "solution" to a problem that doesn't really exist. It's easy to blame the dogs. Easy because the people that do are angry and want to find a scapegoat. The problem, however, was never the dogs. It has always been the owners and the breeders. It was people when it was Dobermans. It was people when it was Rottweilers. It was people when it was Akitas, and "wolf dogs", and German shepherd dogs. It is people now that it is pit bulls, and it will be people when society attacks the next breed.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 7:23pm PST 
Very well said Chance applauseapplauseapplausepuppy
[notify]
Dyno

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 2:50pm PST 
I personally believe part of being a responsible pit bull owner is not bringing your dog to dog parks
[notify]

Opheila

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 6:25pm PST 
I beg to differ...there are also German Shepards , Huskies, Rotties, Jack Russells and plain old Heinz 57's who shouldn't be at dog parks, even some toys and spaniels for pittys sakes...

With dog parks safety comes in knowing your dog, hopefully have a circle of owners and doggies who interact well with each other and some cool heads in the group who know how to stop a problem before it starts.

And there are pit bulls and there are pit bulls. I know my Sophie, I don't take her on the big dog side. Dogs her size and bigger frighten her. The boys on the big side do play rough as a rule nevermind the humping. At home she's okay with Callie and rough play because he's always submissive in the end.

So we play on the little dog side and have for several years. The little dogs see her in a maternal way and she'll gently play puppy games for hours. So imagine the visual of a sixty pound moose play running from a gang of furry fluff. The owners all know Sophie now and welcome her.

Callie we haven't had very long but I can't feature ever taking him to a dog park or letting him off leash. He isn't dog aggressive but with his energy and strength I'm not taking any chances. Callie is sometimes stranger aggressive with a much different personality than my shy sweet girl. Sophie walks beautifully off leash and has perfect recall.
But they are both pit bulls

Edited by author Sun Feb 10, '13 6:28pm PST

[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 9:24pm PST 
I think what Dyna meant, and it is the mantra of all major PB advocacy groups, is that Pit Bulls cannot afford any bad press. In a scuffle at a dog park, even if the Pit is merely defending himself, it will likely still be viewed as his fault. Also, some Pit Bulls are incredibly dog social, but a huge percentage (and indeed true to breed type) will not back down if seriously challenged. So while in both these instances the Pit Bull was not the aggressor, odds are things will still be viewed as his fault. That is why there is that protocol. In terms of the advocacy groups, it doesn't mean they can't be trusted, but getting involved in anything....no matter how no fault they were....is something the Pit Bull in America can ill afford.
[notify]
Xx Sabrina- Selene xX

The American- Bully Goddess

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 8:36am PST 
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this. If you truly know how your dog is going to re act towards other dogs in certain situations, go for it. I go to the dog park to let sabrina interact with other dogs outside of our home. But, I also know how she will react if a dog acts aggressively towards her. I guess it all depends on your dog's personality. Sabrina is more of the submissive type, so she'll do anything to please anyone/dog, but when attacked repeatedly she will defend herself. No I didn't find this out by fighting her or putting her in any situation. I learned this from the way she acts at home with other dogs.

Generally at the dog park you will find some people that are well educated about dogs and others not so much. That's why when at a dog park, it's up to YOU to keep an eye on your dog & it's surroundings at ALL times. If you know your dog doesn't like sharing it's toys or isn't the playful type... please don't take your dog to the dog park. If you don't know how your dog is going to act in certain situations, don't him/her to the dog park. If your dog isn't updated on all of it's shots, don't take him/her to the dog park. If your dog isn't socialized with both people and other animals, don't take him/her to the dog park.
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 2:07pm PST 
Have to agree with Dyno and Tiller. Even if a pit bull isn't involved when a fight breaks out, I've seen them join in to spats going on between other dogs, just for the fun of it. Then it doesn't matter who started the fight. All that matters is there was a pit bull involved, and automatically it will be the pit's fault. Not a good scenario there.

Edited by author Mon Feb 11, '13 2:09pm PST

[notify]
Opheila

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 2:20pm PST 
I know what you're saying about automatic fault finding, that's why at any sign of anything I call Sophie or pick her up and we're out of there. With breeds though it depends on the dog. One of the nastiest attacks we witnessed was a Huskie going after a male English bulldog. There was no warning and the gentle fat bull had been sitting by a bench just chillin'. His jowl got bitten rather badly and he didn't even try to defend himself. Daschunds seem to be tweaky in dog parks, so I don't think particular breeds are the problem. but like it's been pointed out, even if a little dog was the instigator, unless you have a bunch of witnesses the bigger dog gets blamed.frown
[notify]
Xx Sabrina- Selene xX

The American- Bully Goddess

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 2:43pm PST 
I believe if you truly know how your dog is going to react then you should be able to take him or her to the dog park.
[notify]
Ruff

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 3:19pm PST 
I certainly don't support banning of ANY breed, but I think that it's important that certain breeds only wind up in skilled hands (a pittie is certainly not the dog for everyone), which is unfortunately not the case with out beloved pitties. I've owned two pit bulls, one DA and one not, both at the same time which lead to 13 years of crate and rotate, not a situation that I would get into again willingly. The DA pit bull has since passed away, leaving 13 year old softie Bosco who gets along just fine with a Chi, Yorkie x and a Shelter Special. But I know he is often the exception, not the rule; one of the shelters I worked at had to pair dogs in the kennels, and the pit bulls always gave us a hard time, especially considering that most of them were not sterilized. It's an unfortunate fact that many pits are DA and it's doing the breed a disservice to ignore that fact; I love pits bulls (worked in animal shelters and dealt with many), but I understand and accept their tendency towards both DA and high prey drive. I also would never put my pit bull in a dog park... I agree with the above poster, your pit bull may not start a fight, but it will be your dog that's to blame if something happens. When we got Bosco 13 years ago, my mother was a huge advocate of protecting him from himself; I would never willingly put him in a position that had the possibility to reflect poorly on him or his breed, the breed really doesn't need that.

Now speaking in defense of people picking up their little dogs, there's a possibility that they're doing it to protect your dog. In my case, my Chi is a rescue and suffers from chronic little-dog syndrome, and so has a problem with large dogs coming up to him and getting too close, I often intervene before he has a chance to do anything stupid because I don't want the other person's dog to react. In this case my dog would start it and I wouldn't want anything to happen because of it, either to him or the other dog. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Every breed is stereotyped in one way or another (my mother has a devout hatred of Chows, I fostered one and she was terrified of it, despite having no bad experiences) but I wouldn't let it get you down too much. Instead use the opportunity to educate people and be a strong positive advocate of the breed, which is seems like you are already doing! So good on you!~

Edited by author Mon Feb 11, '13 3:20pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 6 of 7: Viewing entries 51 to 60)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7