GO!

The PitBull Discussion

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 5 of 7: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 6:05pm PST 
So sad, Farley, maybe you should send them a link to the tame fox project?
[notify]
Skarlet

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 7:58pm PST 
This is actually the best conversation I've ever seen on Pit Bulls. Too many people seem to be either have issues with all of them or defend them to the point where it's just ridiculous, like they are all perpetual puppies or have no more power or potential to do damage than the average sheltie.

Well bred and raised Pit Bulls are beautiful, amazing dogs. But if they are bred for the wrong reasons, brought up in the wrong hands, ect. they do have the potential to do a lot more damage than most other pets. Because they are extremely powerful for their sizes and can have a lot of drive. And honestly they end up in the wrong hands a lot because that stupid macho guy that wants a tough, scary, aggressive dog is generally not going to pick the golden...

That said, my dog is not as friendly as most Pit Bulls! I don't just let my dog just greet other random dogs all the time, and I don't let people pet her. I wish people gave her the kind of space they give pitties! Just because a dog's cute and looks sweet does not mean she likes random people. People need to stop looking at the breed and start looking at the dog's personality, which actually is often quite evident.

I think understanding dog body language should be a required class in grade school, maybe we can reshape the next generation of adults! Can I get an Amen?
[notify]
Zoey

oops theres a- wall there!

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 8:11pm PST 
I don't believe in banning any of these dogs. But I prob am one of those people that will keep my child and dog back. I tell my children (they are young and have always been around dogs of all sizes and breeds including pitties) to not touch any dog that they don't know, no matter what the breed. I explain to them that they don't know the dog or know if the dog is going to be scared of them, doesn't like to be petted etc. I don't mention breeds to them. If I see you walking down the street with your pittbull I'm not going to run up to you and ask to pet him, it's not my dog.. But nor would I give ugly looks or anything haha. But when I was younger we had a boxer and would take her everywhere, she was the most mellow of dogs, took her to the lake and had people yelling at my parents that she was a vicious dog and that we needed to leave. Dispite her being on leash. People are going to think and feel how they do, I honestly don't think they will change their views no matter what you present them with. confused
[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 6:51pm PST 
Really the best we can do as bully owners is to enlighten people. One at a time teaching people that our dogs are often just misunderstood. I'm so proud of my Sophie when we go to the little dog park. We've developed a circle of friends there. Dogs of any size are quite welcome if they have easygoing personalities. New people will come in and raise their eyebrows at a mid sized "fighting dog" romping with the teacups. But afterwhile they see she's a maltese trapped in a big dog body. By the time we leave everyone is scratching her behind the ears. Maybe we haven't changed the whole worlds perception but just those few people perhaps...little angel
[notify]

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 11:17am PST 
Hi, although I have never owned a pitbull or know anyone who has, I think that banning certain dog breeds and profiling dogs is just crazy. you wouldn't try and send a car to jail for a hit and run would you? Try to prosecute a knife? Nope!
Unfortunately, all these powerful dogs are to some people is weapons, and that makes me so upset. I don't think there's much that I'm more passionate about than dogs and animals in general.
My family have owned a Border Collie before, and really he was everything people promise Border Collie's are - gentle, loving, energetic, smart. My parents got him 2 years before I was born, so I grew up with him. When I was still in primary school, around 9 or 10 years old, I was bitten by somebody else's Border Collie. It's the only dog I've ever been bitten by, I lost one of my wobbly baby teeth but no real damage done. It was just an overexcited dog. If I was ever properly attacked by a dog, whatever the breed, I would not want it to come to any harm, I'd want it to go through re-training. If it had been trained to attack, as many of the more 'powerful' breeds are, I'd want the owner to suffer the blame, never the dog. I believe dogs are like children. If you abuse a child from a young age, the chances are it'll bully other people in school and eventually possibly his/her own kids when she grows up. If people constantly wind up a dog or abuse it, it's going to do the same because it's all they know.
[notify]
Enzo BDU

Sloppy Licks and- Tail Wags!

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 8:18am PST 
This is sooooooo stupid... Petsmart would'nt let me at doggy day camp!!!! This is what they told Mom:

Dogs at least five months of age
Dogs who have been socialized with
other dogs but are not of the “bully
breed” classification!!

†Dogs in the "bully breed" classification (e.g. American Pit Bull Terriers, Miniature Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, American Bull Dogs, Bull Terriers or mixed breeds that have the appearance or characteristics of one of these breeds). For the safety of all animals and associates, and at the discretion of PetSmart, some pets may not be permitted.

Is this ridiculous or what? Where will it end?
My mom had argued over and over "What if there's an agressive Poodle? Or a Labrador?? Why not other breeds??? This is really stupid!!!! People always stereotype us because they think ALL of us are agressive!!!!!
[notify]
Ellie

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 10:03am PST 
There is a documentary called "Beyond the Myth" that discusses PitBulls and banning. You can view it on Netflix. Description: "Unfairly known as violent killers, pit bulls have suffered from the stigma of negative media coverage that has lead to citywide bans across the country. This documentary strips away the preconceptions to show the loving companions these dogs can be."
[notify]
Opheila

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 5:21pm PST 
I find it amazing how Pit Bull became journalistic shorthand for " Big scary%## breed of undetermined origin". I always reference the fact that historically fighting dogs were bred to be intensely tolerant of humans. A pit dog who attacked it's handlers wasn't going to live very long.

In the "sport" of dogfighting the dogs had to allow strangers to bathe them and tend to their wounds in the heat of battle. I feel that trait has carried over to present day pibbles. Many of us who own them know that with their families they are big ol' Velcro lapdogs. Their public face can be frightening at times. Sophie and Callie are highly protective of me when we walk. But both are also more than happy to do body wags for smiling strangers too.

But no you aren't going to win any popularity contests in most areas. Urban areas and people are more positive because they're more likely to own one or know the breed better. In other areas people are just plain terrified. I've had people grab their dogs and run when they see us walking. Walking Callie one night, a bunch of full grown men STOOD on the bus bench as we walked by...Callie wasn't even looking their way...but some people are that scaredcrycryfrowncrycry
[notify]
Opheila

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 5:21pm PST 
A site I recommend for bully education and a wonderful gift shop is Hello Bully, a rescue group in PA

Edited by author Thu Feb 7, '13 5:27pm PST

[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '13 5:32pm PST 
Enzo, I can tell you that their policy is not related to the company itself, but it does factor the local laws. The Petsmarts around here where I live allow bully breeds. On the other hand, they don't allow wolf-hybrids, because hybrids are illegal to own in our city. Likewise in a city where hybrids ARE legal to own, the local stores probably don't have such policies banning them. See where I'm getting at?

It depends on the area, so don't be angry with the employees, who have no control over policies... You'll have to go to corporate for that, but again, if their "No Bully Breeds at Daycamp" policy is based on local laws and restrictions, then even whining to corporate won't get you very far.

Edited by author Sat Feb 9, '13 5:36pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 5 of 7: Viewing entries 41 to 50)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7