GO!

Man Shoots Labrador in "Self Defense"

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 9 of 9: Viewing entries 81 to 87)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 2:05pm PST 
Except he had let the owners know the dog coming onto his property was a problem, and they did nothing about it.shrug

Rexy, completely agree about the petition.

Edited by author Fri Aug 17, '12 2:05pm PST

[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 5:29pm PST 
Twister, after re-reading the original post, I'm still not seeing that. I see that he contacted AC several times about the dog, but not that he actually spoke to his neighbours.

Personally, I'd still prefer that a neighbour approach me directly rather than immediately go through AC.

I guess I also just don't understand the escalation...calling AC >> shooting. I would hope that if someone was really upset by my dog's behaviour, that there would be a few more steps in between.
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 9:01pm PST 
I'm thinking there is probably more to this than what we all know. I'm guessing he's never been on very good terms with his neighbors, perhaps he did not feel due to other issues that going directly to them would do any good; and obviously going to AC did not do any good either. I do agree that if someone had a problem with my animals, that it would be considerate of them to come straight to me first.

Edited by author Fri Aug 17, '12 9:02pm PST

[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Aug 17, '12 11:49pm PST 
Trigger the "insanity" I was referring to was that using deadly force is the only way to feel safe from a loose dog. we have them here as well,many are not nice,and yes,I lived here my entire first 2 years being growled back into my house by a neighbors dog,so I know what that is like,it is not fun.

I have also lived near and even as stated that I have family members who at one time may have been perfectly fine having a gun permit,but would in fact be unsafe with one now. I do not know Dick P. but neither do you. As I said I in no way meant to imply that I felt he was a dangerous psychopath who was a danger to the entire community,but that does not mean that his being a "bit off" should not be considered by authorities before he is allowed to renew his gun permit just to be sure it is in fact safe for him to carry a gun.

I did also say that the dog owners were to blame for losing their dog in such a tragic manner. They could have been far more careful than they were,fencing,tethering,leashing,and supervising the dog effectively are all things they could have done on their part to prevent this,in my eyes,needless tragedy. The only loser in this situation was the dog,who I'm sure did suffer pain at being shot and not dying instantly,according to the article it died several hours later at a local animal hospital,not in my opinion a nice way to go.

I am sure however that you will find a way to take everything I have said out of context and twist it to be used against me so that you are once again the only one who can be right in your views and assumptions. This will be my last post on this topic,because I no longer am enjoying the "debate" no longer find it educational or informative and this post will be flagged anyway.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Aug 18, '12 12:40am PST 
This is just sad...regardless of who was right and who was wrong. Had the owners actually heeded the warning of Animal Control and made sure their dog was secure when outside, this wouldn't have happened. So many things could have, and should have been done differently. If the neighbor had actually been attacked twice, he should have reported BOTH times and not overreacted.

I've also been in a situation where I was threatened but it was by a pack of dogs. Went through the proper channels (Animal Control, and when they did nothing, the Police) and the owners wound up being fined $3000 ($500 per dog) and had the dogs taken away.

Edited by author Sat Aug 18, '12 12:46am PST

[notify]
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Sat Aug 18, '12 6:36am PST 
If you like your pet, you keep it home.
[notify]
Dogster HQ

Barked: Sat Aug 18, '12 9:55am PST 
Hi,

We have closed this thread. Threads can be closed temporarily or permanently for a variety of reasons. Some of the most common reasons are: the thread has gone off topic; the thread is not in the 'spirit' of Dogster; the thread is no longer fun, friendly or informational; the thread has been discussed at length in other threads; or we cannot provide adequate moderation at this time.

Please let HQ know if you have any questions.

HQ

(Page 9 of 9: Viewing entries 81 to 87)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9