GO!

Dogs wearing or Not wearing Tags...

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Luna Tuna Coyote

Luuuuuuna- Tuuuuuuna

Barked: Fri Feb 24, '12 5:00am PST 
The laws for most towns around here at to have a collar with tags/rabies vacc. on your dog. But we have an issue with that.... The last time any of our pets wore a collar was about 1 1/2 years ago. We stopped when Kali ALMOST choked Luna to death by getting her jaw stuck underneath the collar. My mother and her boyfriend were able to cut off the collar with a knife just in time. We have 5 dogs who all play very rough and are constantly biting each others neck, tail, and legs. I have researched different types of collars before but none had caught my attention. If there are any kinds that are made so no doggy-jaws can fit underneath when they play, I would love some suggestions. If I did happen to find collars that seem safe enough for them, is it safe to keep them on while the dogs are in crates or should they be taken off beforehand?
[notify]
Jaguar

Meow?

Barked: Fri Feb 24, '12 3:39pm PST 
Break away collars sound like they're for you. ^_^ Good for any dog that has to wear a collar all the time, but especially for a multi dog household. =) If they get hooked on something or pulled on too hard they "break away".

http://www.breakawaycollar.com/
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Fri Feb 24, '12 3:58pm PST 
There is the law as written, and there is the law as enforced...

I know it's technically illegal, but in most places they're not going to ticket people for not having tags unless they have another reason to throw the book at you (like they pick up the dog roaming, or it attacks someone.)

So I think you're probably okay as long as your dogs wear the tags when they're off your property. You can put the tags on harnesses for walking as well if you just don't want to use collars ever again- harnesses are much less likely to cause choking.
[notify]

Sakari

Divas can get- dirty too !

Barked: Fri Feb 24, '12 5:11pm PST 
Agree with Bruno. My dogs don't wear collars unless being walked and we keep the tags on their collars.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Feb 24, '12 8:50pm PST 
In my area collars and tags must be on the dog if it is outside even in the owners yard. We found that the break away type were the best option after having something similar happen. We live in the city and have AC and codes enforcement in our area daily. AC has been live trapping stray cats due to 2 rabies outbreaks in the last 3 years and codes enforcement has the authority to ticket any city code violation that they see. You could use either the break away collars or harnesses just when the dogs leave the house. When we tried crating our pups there was actually a warning plate rivited to the crate stressing removal of all harnesses and collars before crating.Good Luck!
[notify]
Luna Tuna Coyote

Luuuuuuna- Tuuuuuuna

Barked: Sat Feb 25, '12 4:50pm PST 
Breakaway collars seem to be the solution. I'll just have to get used to putting each of theirs on in the morning before going out, and back off before naps or bedtime in the crates. Guess I'm going to PETCO on Monday to buy 4 new collars & pretty nametags.
party
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sun Feb 26, '12 6:30pm PST 
M&K- yoiks! AC has not been that strict anywhere I've lived so far. Just shows it pays to know your local regulatory culture- out here, you can barely get them to show up when you call in a major problem, I don't think they ever just go looking for people who aren't in compliance... But you betcha I'd be toeing the line if I knew they could swoop in and hand out a ticket at any second.
[notify]
Terra

Bonzaiiiiiiii!!!- !!!

Barked: Mon Feb 27, '12 11:01am PST 
They're required here if you're in a 'congested area'... lots of rural property out here. So, sometimes they enforce the law, sometimes they don't.

Terra only wears her collar and tags if she's going outside. We don't have a doggy door because of the cats so I'll slip the collar on her before I let her outside to got potty.

I'm pretty strict about it since she's an AmStaff and I don't want people to see her and assume she's not cared for. She wears tags for the county, rabies, name (also states she has severe allergies), microchip, and insurance - there's NO mistaken that this dog is loved or to be feared!
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Feb 27, '12 11:48am PST 
I have my dogs tags in an envelope in the glove compartment of my car. Wherever we go, I can get to them in a short time. I started doing this after the loss of multiple tags. And breakaways wouldn't really help since most of the time, the tags were lost while swimming.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Mon Feb 27, '12 12:01pm PST 
Savvy- that's a good idea. Bruno lost his tags 3 times in the past year! I'm sick of having to go back and buy new ones all the time. Next time I'm buying a spare to keep in the car.
[notify]