GO!

Snare traps set can kill family pets beware.

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 10:41am PST 
Wanted to give pet owners the heads up. Recently while walking in the woods on a open well traveled trail, I was caught in snare trap fell and was injured (slightly, more shocked) My friends had a hard time releasing my foot only because we didnt know what it was. Afterwards I called wildlife protection and was informed that in N.J. trappers can take a class, and as long as they have id numbers on their traps they can set anywhere on public property. These traps were hidden in slightly weeded area in path. strong cable wire secures to roots and looped in hangmans noose, at dogs head level, once your dog or cat walks through it catches around their neck and tightens too a 3-inch loop the more they struggle the tighter it gets. Thank goodness, I didnt have my dogs with me that day, I will no longer walk in areas I dont know well, my dogs are always leashed and would have put their heads into loops and would have choked to death in front of me, because I wouldnt of known what to do, supposely you can release, but would be very hard if dog is struggling. Carry wire cutters heavy duty pair. Research animal traps, learn how to release. Animals die everyday in traps. And Iam sure if found by hunters they tell no one.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 11:12am PST 
Wow, that's shocking that they can put such traps on any public land! shock Did you happen to save the trap or see the i.d. number? I would guess that's so they can trace it back to the person who set it . . .

I wonder if there is any liability to the setter of the trap, suppose you had twisted your ankle?
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 12:14pm PST 
It is completely irresponsible to set a snare trap on an open and well-travelled trail on public land. While it may be legal to trap on public land in NJ, the location of the actual trap may not be within regulation. Like Gus said, I'm wondering if the ID could be tracked back to the person who set the trap.

If someone is interested in trapping animals, that's not a good placement. Wild animals don't generally frequent high traffic areas, especially the animals that are the target of this type of trapping. Sounds more like intentionally setting them to catch people and/or pets.
[notify]

Chandler

Code name:- Farmcollie

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 2:22pm PST 
This is an excellent warning to keep in mind, and snares are not the most dangerous type of trap that your dog might encounter. I know somebody who lost their dog in minutes to an illegally placed conibear trap.

Here's some resources for trap removal. This information might save your dog's life.

Releasing your dog from a trap

Video- How to release a dog froma conibear trap.

Removing your dog from a trap or snare.
[notify]
Kato

Birds!

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 6:05pm PST 
Thank you! I hike alongside a creek and at the very end on the other side of the creek I found where a guy had set up traps for beavers. Easy to spot because they were all in white buckets, but Kato could have easily stuck his head in there.

Once I saw those, I never set foot in that area of the creek again. Definitely no fun. After looking at those links, I realized he was using the conibear traps! Really informative to know how to release those.

Here's a video with a better view.

Edited by author Mon Feb 13, '12 6:11pm PST

[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 6:22pm PST 
I was called out to get a cat found in a trap. The cat was caught by his leg and this particular trap needed a key to release the jaw. We ended up having to amputate his leg to get it out, his leg was damaged beyond repair.
This trap was set on a public utility right of way through the owners property. Perfectly legal in our state!!
The trap was properly identified as well. We did contact the trap owner who said he was sorry but the cat shouldn't have been out there. This right of way literally ran thru the peoples back yard.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 7:06pm PST 
Thanks for the info Chandler! I had no idea about such things! shock
[notify]
Kato

Birds!

Barked: Mon Feb 20, '12 2:30pm PST 
Just wanted to bump this real quick.

I actually ran into a conibear trap today. It had a raccoon in it. The coyotes had carried the coon and the trap downstream, so that's how it ended up where I hike as I stay away from the trapping grounds. Anyway, I decided to make use of it and try opening it to get some experience.

I could not open it with my bare hands. I came really close, but just could not do it. I had to use a strap from my pack to get the springs close enough together to latch them together like in the demonstrations above with the rope. I did not have a leash on me, and honestly, I don't think a regular sized leash would have fit in there either. It would be a tight squeeze to get it in there if it did.

And this was all with a dead raccoon in the trap. It would have been 100x harder with a frantic dog stuck in there. From now on, I will carry a bit of rope with me just in case. Maybe if my adrenaline was pumping, I might be able to do it bare handed, but better safe than sorry. These things were meant to kill.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Mon Feb 20, '12 3:56pm PST 
Wow, Kato--that's cool you got a practice opportunity--hopefully you'll never have to test your skills in an emergency!

I was wondering how strong those springs were . . . I suppose wire cutters couldn't get through them. From one of those hunting info sites, it sounds like even if you can get the trap off--your dog may not survive if his trachea gets crushed on initial impact. . . . eek

But I think it did say your best best was to turn the trap sideways first so you get it off his windpipe and have more time . . .
[notify]
Kato

Birds!

Barked: Tue Feb 21, '12 11:06am PST 
I did try to turn it sideways, but since I did not want to touch the rotten remains, it was rather difficult. I never was able to turn it, but it's safe to say I was probably doing it wrong due to me not wanting to get icky.laugh out loud

I wouldn't bet wire cutters cutting through it all that well, at least not the hand held ones. The bigger cable cutters might work. Although, I wouldn't want to carry them.

Edited by author Tue Feb 21, '12 11:08am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2