GO!

Kennel sold me a dog with a broken neck!

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Barked: Sun Feb 12, '12 8:10am PST 
I went to buy a puppy from a CKC and AKC registered 'dealer' in Tennesse only to get the puppy home to die. I contacted the seller and told him of the death, he said his wife told him that their baby daughter dropped the dog on it's head and they would give us a free puppy for our troubles. The puppy died of a broken neck within an hour of getting him home. Mr. Potts told us he would give us a new puppy for our 'troubles', I believe he knew he sold us a dying puppy. I believe he knew what was going on because he told my friend that he could make payments to him for the puppy. This was in November. They told us to keep in touch to get the new puppy they offered. I have been trying to contact him all month, just to hear they would stick by the free puppy offer. Today I received a nasty letter that they will not be giving away any free puppies. What should we do?
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Sun Feb 12, '12 9:07am PST 
I'm so sorry for your multiple losses frown

Poor puppies frown

And poor pup parents who must obviously have such a horrific life frown frown frown

There is usually no recourse when it comes to these miller/dealers. You can try if you have any health warranty paperwork to take them to court but most are deceitful and weave loopholes into their contracts that'll leave you high and dry regardless.

If you're still hoping to add a dog to your family investigate reputable rescues or reputable breeders. The breeder you describe sounds bottom of the barrel and and unfortunately owners and the dogs coming from such places bare the brunt of how they operate.

Check references, where do the dogs live, how well are they trained, are they clean, can you meet the parents, are they friendly and well socialized, are they happy and satisfied or sad and neurotic (again not the pups, the PARENTS). How knowledgeable are the breeders, how experienced, how reputable, get vet references, why are they breeding, can they prove their dog meets its breed standard (read, NOT AKC papers,
any dogs can have those, they are absolutely NO guarantee of quality). Do they health test, are they frequently vetted, how often are their dogs bred, how do they screen potential puppy buyers, do they have a spay neuter policy, do the pups come vaccinated, wormed and with health certificate? What are their health guarantees? I could go on...

The answers to those questions distinguish a good breeder from one like you fell prey to.

Edited by author Sun Feb 12, '12 9:09am PST

[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sun Feb 12, '12 9:40am PST 
Trigger has covered everything pretty well!

All I can add is consider it a sad, and hard lesson learned, but do you really want another puppy from a breeder like this? I'd hope not!shock
[notify]

Peach

Etsy's Pooch &- Puddy mascot!

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 7:18am PST 
If you have proof of sale you may have legal recourse. If not...

Most states have "puppy lemon laws", which indicate whether a breeder is held responsible for a puppy's illness or death after it it purchased. If your state doesn't have these, you're out of luck: when the puppy left the breeder, they essentially washed their hands of him.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 10:31am PST 
Very few states in the South have a 'puppy lemon law', according to the article in Penn State Law Review below, Tennessee is not one of them:

http:// www.pennstatelawreview.org/articles/114%20Penn%20St.%20L.%20Rev.%206 43.pdf (close the space before first w)

Which is not surprising; the states with the highest volume of suspected puppy mills tend to have weak laws governing the buying and selling of puppies.

The State Attorney General's office, the Better Business Bureau, and/or filing in small claims court may be your only recourse if you bought the pup in Tenn.
[notify]