GO!

Cleveland Ohio considering tethering ordinance

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Waldo

Who wants to- play?

Barked: Mon Jan 23, '12 10:58pm PST 
Good news out of Cleveland. City council is considering a tethering ordinance. Changing the lives of chained dogs in Cleveland
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 5:44am PST 
I like it! I hope it passes. With the way they outlined it, I don't see the harm. My only complaint would be the no tethering between 10 pm to 6 am. I don't understand that concept. What if someone works during those hours and prefers to have their dog outside during that time?

Since they have the weather clause in there, the cold of night shouldn't be a factor. That means they wouldn't be able to tether the dog outside in extreme cold anyway.
[notify]
Tyson

Ball?! Did- someone say- BALL?!!!!!

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 7:36am PST 
At first when I read the title, I totally panicked. My mind went into immediate red zone. "What about those people with dogs that are escape artists?" Then, I read the article. I like the plan but do have the same hesitations as Sanka. While I have only worked until really late in the evening, I have had to use a tether for my dog (previous escape artist) during those hours. I would think that the 3-hour time limit would be more than sufficient to protect the dogs.
[notify]

Waldo

Who wants to- play?

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 9:39am PST 
Sanka, I think since tethered dogs often become nuisance barkers, the concept of no tethering between 10 pm and 6 am is so neighbors can sleep.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 2:31pm PST 
I think it's generally a good idea, but don't like that tethers have to be 20 feet long. That much line will generally get tangled pretty quick. Shorter cables are actually safer in that regard. I wonder if they consider cable runs in this ordinance. Does it mean you have to use a 20-foot leash if you (very briefly) tether your dog when you go in a store while out walking with him? When you tether your dog to the table when sitting at a sidewalk cafe? That would be a serious public hazard.

Tucson, AZ, where I adopted Bruno, has a similar no-tie-outs law. I think it may be why he ended up in the pound- he's a fence jumper/climber. From his body condition and personality, I think he was a family pet and fairly well-socialized with people, but was kept outdoors (had elbow calluses from lying on hard ground) so I bet he was escaping a lot. Hence the trip to the pound.
[notify]
Waldo

Who wants to- play?

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 9:47pm PST 
I think 20 feet is too long, too.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Jan 25, '12 7:44am PST 
It's a good start. Gotta say I totally get why no tie outs between 10pm to 6am, they probably lined it up with local 'quiet hours' ordinances. Dogs on tie outs during those hours are often real nuisance barkers, right when the most people are trying to sleep. Plus, that's the most unsafe time to tie out a dog if you have any urban coyote activity...not sure if Cleveland has any of that, but I do know some urban areas that do. Rural areas definitely have problems with coyotes harassing dogs left out at night. If someone needs to tie out their dog all hours of the night and can't seem to figure out an alternative, or work on the dog's behaviors that get them tied out to begin with; they really should consider owning a cat instead.
[notify]
Tipper

Tipper is a- bully chested- little girl.

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '12 1:44am PST 
I hate chaining of dogs. I support this bill 100%!!! I don't understand the times though. Why can dogs be tied all day long? I can see people on the night shift having their dogs chained all night long. I liked the weather clause. At least dogs will not be chained all night in the snow!
[notify]
Khuno

Chain free is- the way to be!

Barked: Sat Jan 28, '12 5:32pm PST 
Any chaining limitation is a step in the right direction toward eventual no chaining at all. Kudos to Cleveland! happy dance
[notify]