GO!

No Chicago! Don't do it!

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Wed Jan 18, '12 5:35am PST 
City council thinking, again, about putting in BSL because of a recent attack from 2 "70-lbs pit bulls".

Link

Please Chicago, don't be stupid about it! The contact on their website is here if you would like to send them a word about it. Again, be polite!
[notify]
Hmmm

What? You said- something?

Barked: Wed Jan 18, '12 6:20am PST 
I went ahead and sent in a comment. I live in Chicago and many of my friends own pit bulls. It'd be heart breaking to see them ripped away from their family members.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Wed Jan 18, '12 11:40am PST 
This is so sad! and close to Indiana! I hate BSL I hope this is put to a end soon it's darn owners fault not dog.. Sure dogs have certain tendency, but still taking good dogs away from good owner is not the answer.
[notify]

Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Wed Jan 18, '12 12:18pm PST 
It seems like this comes up here in Chicago periodically. So far we've been lucky and we have several outspoken advocates who have helped prevent BSL from getting a foothold here.
There are so many pit bull type dogs in Chicago (the shelters are full of them) that I can't imagine what would happen if this passed here. It would be devastating.

Here is a link to a radio show where they talk about this with an alderman:
http://www.chicagonow.com/steve-dales-pet-world/2012/01/w gn-radio-petcast-will-chicago-go-for-breed-ban-court-reunites-pit-bu ll-service-dog/

Edited by author Wed Jan 18, '12 12:21pm PST

[notify]
Luke

I came, I saw, I- chewed.

Barked: Wed Jan 18, '12 12:40pm PST 
Ugh. That was my first thought - what about all the loving family pets that would get caught in this? I'm in Indiana and it's a fear of mine. My trainer thinks Luke is part pit. But my vet says he's a lab/hound mix. The shelter had him listed as a lab mix. I'm not messing with any of that. IF something like that every passed here, I couldn't imagine having to give up my dog. frown
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Thu Jan 19, '12 4:08am PST 
Luke, consider purchasing CKC (Continental kennel club) papers for Luke listing him as a hound/lab cross.

Be sure your vet has him listed on his paperwork as a hound lab X. The more documentation you have the better (even if it is just opinion on paper) and anyone else who has a pit or pit mix or even a mix that could be taken for a pit mix should do the same.

Purebred or not, get papers that the dog is a boxer mix or some other kind of reasonable cross just to be safe.
[notify]
Grunt CGC

WWGD or What- Would Grunt Do?

Barked: Thu Jan 19, '12 7:20am PST 
BSL Sux! Period! naughty We have Grunts paperwork saying he's Boxer/Hound mix...
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Jan 19, '12 11:11am PST 
Looks like they won't do BSL.

But they are in talks about having dog owners getting licensed in Chicago.

link

Bianca, thanks for the link to that interview. It's nice to hear the officials talk.
[notify]
Luke

I came, I saw, I- chewed.

Barked: Sun Jan 22, '12 7:27am PST 
While I am curious about Luke's mix, I refused the DNA test from the vet. Right now, the vet says his lab/hound. IF his results come back with any pit, I'm afraid she'll change her paperwork. I might just do an internet test kit for my own curiosity. Plus if he's not pit, it's just another piece of proof I have, should I ever need it.
The other thing that saddens me is that out of the 80 dogs I saw at animal control, I would say 90% or more were pits or obvious pit mixes. The shelters are overflowing with them and no one wants them because of their bad press. The thought of all those dogs being put down just because of their breed.... ugh.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Wed Feb 22, '12 5:38pm PST 
It is a horrible thought that any city could round up people's pets or force them to leave . . . .

When you hear that someone nearly lost their life and did lose their foot for just going for an early morning jog, that freaks the heck out of me and angers me!

I think they need to work on the punishment end and go after someone who has two dogs that get loose like that and pack up on a human being with such viciousness, they should be treated as harshly as they treat anyone who drives drunk and hurts someone. Seriously, a $2000 dollar fine is a slap on the wrist for what they did to that man! shock

I don't know why the knee jerk is to go after a breed--and yet do nothing to promote more serious sentences for the people who's dogs are involved in such attacks--go after people who don't keep their dogs controlled.

(hey, how'd this old thread get bumped up? oh well)

Edited by author Wed Feb 22, '12 5:39pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2