GO!

Do you arm yourself?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 11:07am PST 
The newstory about a teacher in Montana who was killed while she took an early morning jog (and someone's comment about flinging poop in the face of any attacker man or beast!) made me think of this question. Do you carry any kind of weapon if you walk your dogs alone? I'm pretty much alone often and no one or place nearby. But it happened to that poor Montana woman it can happen anywhere, it can be an animal or human. Also I've read if someone is attacked and their dog attacks that person(who attacks you) the dog would be at fault. That's crazy.

(by weapon I mean anything like pepper spray too)

Edited by author Tue Jan 17, '12 11:08am PST

[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 11:22am PST 
I really don't. I've started carrying a stout flashlight that could be used as a club but only at night.

I would be just as likely to accidently use the pepper spray on myself as any attacker. (yes, my life is a sitcom!)
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 11:23am PST 
"At fault" isn't really the correct term. I'm not sure if there is one. The situation that can happen if you are walking, someone attacks you, and your dog attacks the attacker, is that the attacker can counter-sue (because they are almost certainly up on criminal charges at this point) to have your dog deemed "dangerous" or "vicious" and euthanized. You end up having to prove that your dog was acting under stress, and is not inherently vicious.

The same thing can happen if someone breaks into your house, which is why "Beware of Dog" signs are a bad idea. If you want to post something to alert tresspassers to a dog on the premisis, cutesy signs or doormats ("My Siberian Husky can make it to the gate in 30 seconds, can you?") are the way to go. Or a simple, neutral "Dog on Premisis."

As to arming myself while walking... Personally, no, I don't. But, the areas I walk in these days are well populated by familar faces. And I almost never walk alone.

I used to, though, when I lived in a different area and it was just me and Vance. Pepper spray, steel-toed, high top boots and a sturdy walking stick. You can blind, hit and kick an opponent with ease. Plus if an animal charges you, you can block or kick them in the face and the boots will take most of the bite. The stick can double as a "break stick" if things really go south.
[notify]

Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 11:34am PST 
I carry citronella spray for animals... And, well, Titus is a deterrent to human would-be attackers. wink

I wouldn't carry a firearm where I walk because even if one has a concealed/open carry permit, there are laws detailing where and under what circumstances a firearm can be discharged... Anyone carrying a firearm should be well-versed in their local gun laws. way to go

A cell phone, citronella spray, and the ability to make a lot of noise are enough for me. big grin

Edited to add: Yes, a human attacker can sue for damages inflicted by a dog (but they can also sue you if YOU injure them while defending yourself) in civil court, but if he/she is facing criminal charges in the attack, *most* courts toss them out... It depends entirely on the circumstances and the laws in your area.

It's always a good idea to know one's local laws when it comes to one's dogs.

Edited by author Tue Jan 17, '12 12:04pm PST

[notify]
Beauregard

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 1:37pm PST 
I don't carry anything with me that could be used for a weapon. I don't think anybody could get near me and Beauregard. If Beauregard sees a person who he thinks looks suspicious he'll pull like heck to get out of the way and I have to hold on to his leash for dear life. Also if he sees another animal like a raccoon or something he'll do the same thing. He doesn't want to stick around and take any chances. He is funny because he will only let people who have dogs pat him. If somebody without a dog wants to pat him he won't let them get anywhere near him so I don't think an attacker would be able to get close enough to attack us.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 1:47pm PST 
Nope. I figure having Bruno with me is a bit of a deterrent in itself (though he's not aggressive to people at all.) Just being a big black dog helps, and I'm certain he would chase off or attack any animal that approached us aggressively.

Pepper spray is easy to misuse, as Savvy pointed out. I don't think I would want to risk it, and I've never felt unsafe anywhere that I walk regularly so it's pretty much a non-issue for me. I don't walk at night normally.
[notify]
Adam

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 5:29pm PST 
I've been thinking about getting pepper spray. I like the idea about steel toe boots too. And thanks for the corrections about the law if I or my dogs do harm to an attacker.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 5:37pm PST 
I am a weapon. I may only be 5'2, but I kick like a horse. I started practicing kicking 4 years ago for self defense. I can kick higher than you would think someone my height would. I can easily kick someone in their face. I have destroyed things with my foot. I will put my size fives in someones teeth if they try anything.

When hiking I carry a knife. It's not really for protection, just something I carry as part of my first aide and survival gear. I call it Mr. Stabby. I found it last spring and consider it a lucky special knife. It's a serious very nice switch blade.

My mom sent me mace for Christmas. I don't use. Ninja death stars are more my style.
[notify]
Adam

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 5:42pm PST 
Hmm reminds me I should do some kickboxing exercise Milton. If I got attacked I would go for the eyes, with spray or with my hands or anything else.
[notify]
Beauregard

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 7:07pm PST 
@Adam, It would be good to know kickboxing or some other type of self defense. Another dog walker I know gave me some pepper spray to use.
I never did use it. I was afraid if I had to use it on a person they would grab it from me before I got a chance to use it on them. I also worried that if I used it on somebody they might remember me and want to get revenge. If you know some kind of self defense nobody can take that a way from you and you are always prepared to defend yourself unlike the pepper spray which somebody could grab from you or you could forget to bring it with you. I hope you find some way to keep you and your dogs safe on your walks.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5