GO!

What is adequate shelter?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 3:03pm PST 
Well, I officially reported someone today for lack of shelter. I really hate doing that, but seeing their dogs so often, I just couldn't stomach leaving it either. They have a handful of labs in an outside "kennel". Just the chain link fence, no roof, no side covers. In it, they have some of those igloos for the dogs. However, a few of the igloos have been chewed up really bad. They are not what I'd consider adequate anymore given the damage. They have been chewed up the entire year, and the owners haven't done anything about it. Every time I drive by, the dogs are out in the kennel, so I am skeptical about them being brought inside during the winter too.

But anyway, today I saw this dog. I don't normally go to this spot (it's the school), so I don't know if this dog is an outside dog or just temporarily tied up. Given the wear and tear on the ground, I'd say the dog is often tied up there.

But the dog's house...it's tipped on its side, it has no bedding, no straw...is that considered adequate?
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 4:58pm PST 
Can't see the video at work... but I can say this, a proper shelter as described in FL law is a solid floor, three sides and a roof....meditate
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 11:29am PST 
Depends on your local laws. In RI, dogs left outside more than 15 minutes at a time must have access to fresh water, and shelter that provides relief from the elements. So an Igloo with a hole in the side would not qualify, since the hole would let in sun, wind and rain.
[notify]

Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 11:39am PST 
Shelter generally means that the structure must have a roof. A kennel alone won't protect from sun, wind, precipitation...A dog house can be considered insufficient if it is not up off of the ground a bit and allows rain in to soak the bedding (if there is any). It is common here to see a dog house on a concrete pad inside a chain link kennel that has tarps over it. That's usually fine as long as the dog has dry bedding and a decent coat, even in all but the coldest of overnight temps...

Definitely check your local ordinances, this truly varies a lot by region with good reason. What's considered adequate year-round shelter in Alabama is not going to be adequate in northern New England...
[notify]
Charlie

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 2:23pm PST 
Though I agree that a dog house on it's side is not adequate shelter I doubt anything will be done. Here is California law.

Providing Proper Shelter: A dog must be provided access to shelter from extremes of heat or cold and rain at all times. (Calif. Penal Code Sec.597A and County Code Title 10, Sec. 10.40.010)

The owner can say that the dog house is shelter and the dog knocked it over. There is so much real bad abuse going on that they might not see what you saw as abuse. In California though you are not allowed to keep a dog tied up. If the dog tied up and can not get to water and shelter than they might do something about it.
I bring my dogs in except daisy stays outside during the day. She has a dog house with a blanket which she does not use. She stays by her choice in the car port on a mat.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 2:44pm PST 
Oregon "Adequate Shelter"

For a domestic animal other than a dog engaged in herding or protecting livestock, access to a barn, dog house or other enclosed structure sufficient to protect the animal from wind, rain, snow or sun and that has adequate bedding to protect against cold and dampness.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 3:59pm PST 
Illinois Humane Care for Animals Act.

I am too tired/busy/lazy to read through it! smile
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 5:27pm PST 
You might also want to check out Dogs Deserve Better. They have representatives that will go out and talk to the owners. Good luck- it's cold out today! Dogs should be where they are warm!
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 9:20pm PST 
Sanka,
I feel you did the right thing.In our area that crate would not be considered adequate shelter. I have an area in my back yard that looks like that and my pups are not tied out ever. Our bare area is a drainage issue from the neighboring yard running off and making the area constantly damp and having two large dogs constantly running on it has worn out the grass. We have plans to hopefully by no later than next year have a walkway poured to prevent further issue.That did not appear to be the case in the video. That poor dog also looked like it was cold.cry I hope your reporting the issue gets the pup some help.hug
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Tue Jan 17, '12 11:20pm PST 
I called on a dog before. I felt bad for the dog. The dog house was turned around were the dog could not enter. I turned the house around. The chain was balled up and shortened to 4 feet long. It was sleeting. There was a lot of feces.

I did not live in the area. I was a property inspector and was checking on the adjacent property. It was good I called. The second time I visited the dog's situation improved. It was a lot better. It was the last time I visited. I hope they are still taking better care of the poor animal.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2