GO!

why don't people pick up their dogs poop!!

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 2 of 7: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Sun Jan 15, '12 11:55pm PST 
I'llhave to look into biodegradable bagsthinking

LOL Penny not a bad way to rectify that situation at all laugh out loud

I pick up after my dogs even on hikes. I don't know, I just think what if their feces goes into the streams nearby and animals drink and got sick? lol guess it's not a big concerned but that's what I think.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 12:34am PST 
It's a dumpster, not a can. The sanitation workers don't get out the truck. I seen the dump truck. It picks up the dumpster with a mechanical fork lift. The sanitation workers are in no danger. You can't smell the poop over the stench of trash. I'm not going to worry about the ethics of putting poop in dumpster. The other residents ain't gonna notice or come in contact unless they jump in there. That's there problem if they dive in there.

Right now it's negative 5 outside. Flies are not around in January.

I'm pretty sure there's lots of other things for the flies to lay their eggs in a dumpster when the temperatures allow.

The building supplies the mutt mitts. I don't like them. They are wasteful. Reduce, reuse, recycle. Since I bought the rake, 2 bags a day have been spared. That's lots of plastic. Multipy that for a week.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 6:23am PST 
Wait...how is dog poop any worse than any other poop? Totally confused about that....how does dog poop spread disease more than any other poop?

Those streams and rivers...they have living organisms in them too, and they poop directly into the water. Is their poop somehow "cleaner" than a dog's?

And picking up the poop doesn't mean the ground is clean of poo. There will always be residue of some sort.

Picking up poo is more so people and pets don't step in it. It's also for if there's a common area of pooing dogs, that picking it up helps to prevent it from piling up as the dogs poo faster than it degrades. But that's common with lots of poo. I once had a bird poo on my windshield and it stuck there for months! And yes, I tried to scrape it off to no avail. It was super poo!

I also run into raccoon and possum poo all the time, and it doesn't degrade in days either. Coyote poop also sticks around. You walk the same trails, you'll see the same piles of poo. I really haven't noticed any difference in my dogs' poo compared to the wild things.

Obviously, though, I'm talking about when you're walking around a wooded area or a public park with lots of greenery, not on private property or on the actual trail system.
[notify]

Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 8:09am PST 
Up here it is the law to scoop your poop. When I am out in the woods my boys are off leash & if they poop far off the trail I don't pick it up. My rule of thumb is that if a child or adult could accidentally step in it..then I scoop. If someone would have to bushwhack to get it, I leave it.
But in the city every coat I own has 2 or 3 biodegradable poop bags in the pockets. We are fortunate to live in a dog friendly city with some fabulous official off leashes & many unofficial ones. Most folks seem to appreciate this & do their bit. If someone does not scoop people here are not shy to let you know.
The usual response is a polite call out "Hey..do you need a bag for that?" Leaves no wiggle room...if the offender says "no" then folks wait to watch them scoop. If they say "yes" a bag is quickly providedlaugh out loud
I think laziness (i don't want to carry smelly poop) or ignorance (it's just one tiny poop, what harm is there?) are the main reasons folks don't scoop. Matters nottus why...pick up your poop so we don't attract the attention of the official pooper patrollers.
It is a $250 fine if you are caught here...& yes it has happened to several folks I know. They all scoop now!
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 8:14am PST 
Because they're lazy or irresponsible. If you're walking your dog in public areas, pick up after them. I don't care if you want to have landmines in your yard--I don't want to step in your dog's poop while I'm out.

The places we walk provide poop bags yet I still see many instances of people not picking up. ESPECIALLY in the winter. People are still using that trail in the winter and I don't really want to unknowingly step in poop that is covered in snow. Not to mention how disgusting the trail is come springtime when the snow melts. EWW!

I try and make sure Risa poops off the walking trail when we're out so that we don't make things messy for others. I always pick up after her. The only exception is when her poos are runny (she has GI issues) and they are simply impossible to pick up. Which is why I like her to poop off the trail.

Picking up poop is a part of dog ownership. If you don't like it, make sure your dog poops at home or don't get a dog in the first place.
[notify]
Okami- Amaterasu

I shalst- pluck-eth ze- toy...

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 10:30am PST 
Sanka- "super poo!" big laugh

There are these people in my neighborhood that REALLY make me mad. They apparently just got their dog a few months ago and three people in that house walk the dog. The mom and the daughter pick up after their dog properly, but the dad picks up the poo in a bag and then flings it into the woods! eek. I've watched him do it at least twice! And any other time he just drops the bag of poo right on the side of the road or into someone's yard.

Frankly, I'd rather he just left the poo there than pollute the environment even more! It's ridiculous...
[notify]
Libby

Shake it baby!

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 11:02am PST 
We live in an area similar to what Adam described (wooded but still a neighborhood with the houses far apart) and I carry a bag when we go for walks.
I personally would feel like it was rude if I left poo in the road or on a neighbors front lawn (even if it is at least 2 acres of lawn).
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 12:50pm PST 
"Wait...how is dog poop any worse than any other poop? Totally confused about that....how does dog poop spread disease more than any other poop?"

Sanka, my reasoning is that it's mainly a function of density- there are WAY more dogs in your average suburban area than there are coyotes, raccoons, etc in the woods. And when you hike in the wilderness, you're bringing in more density than that area would otherwise support, especially in well-used trails.

The second point is that in urban and suburban areas, most of the ground is covered by paving or building roofs which cannot absorb all the rainwater that falls on them, so it flows over the surface and picks up fecal matter which goes into storm drains and then into rivers. In a natural system, there is a complex mix of plants and trees growing in uncompacted soil with decomposing biomass which can filter and absorb the rain so it's not spreading contamination into streams. This feature is completely missing in man-made environments.

Also, most dogs eat kibble that isn't digested well so there's still a lot of usable energy in it. This contributes to stream eutrophication (death by overnutrition, the algae grows out of control and then dies, where its decay sucks all the oxygen out of the water.)

If you don't like the idea of your dog's poo going into landfills, bury it instead so it doesn't enter the watershed. 5 inches deep (where there is the most soil microbe activity) is supposed to work the best. If you backpack, you do this with your own poop, right? Why not do it for the dog's poop too?
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 2:43pm PST 
Oh, I get ya Bruno. That's why I mentioned earlier that people should pick up if in an area where the poo can pile up due to the amount of dogs visiting the location.

But if you're out in the woods or whatever, where dogs can poo and poo and poo and you still not be able to find it, I don't really see it as an issue.

I've also seen numerous deposits of undigested items from raccoon and possums. So, I don't think it's so much the content as it is the amount. Poop is never all waste. There will always be some sustenance to it.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 5:05pm PST 
What Bruno, Risa, Squ'mey and others said way to go

I'm not responsible for deer or critter poop that are there in the balance of things, but I am for my dogs'.

I go far off the beaten trail and I just pick up (think I'll bury 5 in though instead if I have time and find a rock to dig with laugh out loud )

I'm not complaining about if someone can't find the feces or feels sick one day or forgets a bag or something, but if see a home anywhere nearby it would just be curteous and appreciated to pick up.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 7: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7