GO!

why don't people pick up their dogs poop!!

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Sun Jan 15, '12 2:39pm PST 
Is it illegal to leave poop in the road or city owned propery like woods? It's so gross. I feel like making a sign and posting it to a tree reminding everyone to pick up their dogs' stools! /rant now to clean my boots.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sun Jan 15, '12 5:05pm PST 
My dogs both poo way off trail in the brush, so I never really pick it up. I don't carry poop bags with me, but the few times Sanka did poop on trail, I made sure to take a stick and knock it way off trail where it wouldn't be stepped on (up against trees, in bushes, etc).

But I hate, hate, hate when peoples' dogs poo right on the trail, and they just leave it there. Hello?! That's where we walk!

Honestly though, if you're out in the woods and not on a trail and the dog poops, I don't really see it as an issue. You're off trail...you should expect to find poop of all sorts from different critters. But on a maintained trail? You shouldn't have to look out for land mines.

Edited by author Sun Jan 15, '12 5:07pm PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Jan 15, '12 5:45pm PST 
Yeah, I'm the same...in the brush it's just 'going back to nature'- but I sure do punt it off walking trails if he has a little slip. Trails are for people, not for turds (that ought to be a slogan, ha.)
[notify]

Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sun Jan 15, '12 5:55pm PST 
People don't pick up poop because it is gross. I really hate reaching down with a plastic bag and picking up feces. It's gross because I can smell it and feel the warmth. I don't think putting biodegradable poop in a plastic bag is environmentally friendly. I think it does more harm than good. Plastic will preserve the poop. Even biodegradable bags will outlast dog wastes.

For my condo I bought a poop rake and scoop poop directly to the dumpster. When I walk my dog in public I will use bags. If possible I will kick dirt over the poop. On hiking trails I roll like Sanka.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Sun Jan 15, '12 7:02pm PST 
Milton I used to feel the same way (about not wanting to put so called biodegradable poop in plastic bags) but I learned dog poop isn't really as biodegradable as we think. It's not like compost, and in most cases it's not going to benefit the environment but the contrary, spread disease. When it rains the feces and any disease with it spreads more. I don't enjoy the fresh warm feeling either, but I guess I think that just comes with owning a dog. There's one dog/owner I'm thinking of though, see my neighbors homes are spread so far apart I can't see them. This one person drives right in front of my home, parks and walks his dog here and never picks up the stools. It's all over the street, in the woods on paths or off paths, it washes into my yard if it rains.

I should have said, if it's near someone's home I think it should be picked up.

Edited by author Sun Jan 15, '12 7:03pm PST

[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Jan 15, '12 7:14pm PST 
Adam,
We avoid walking in the woods with our pups because Kai needs off leash time as much as Mika but isn't ready yet to be trusted. We use a yard at the facility hubby works at so we always clean up and since it's fenced and private we don't have a problem. We live in a small city and there is a law and a fine that goes with breaking the rules,we clean up but know that alot of people don't because we or the dogs have stepped in it more than once. I am also considering a video survellence camera for my front lawn. I scoop up after mine and do not permit them on other peoples lawns and I would love to catch the person/(s) allowing their pets to go on my lawn.

Milton- we scoop our yard daily but trash pick-up is weekly. For our pups we use a wastebasket with a liner that is tied shut between scoopings then put the plastic bag tied shut in the trash can. It is more green not to bag it but consider how you would feel being a sanitation worker and getting loose dog feces on your clothing,also your neighbors have to use the dumpster as well. Someone's dog leavings don't smell very pleasant in the summer heat and the flies nesting in it are no picnic either,would you at least consider a used paper bag?
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Jan 15, '12 8:35pm PST 
When it's cold out and my fingers hurt from the cold, I like the warm feeling shockshockshock smile smile

People don't pick it up because they forget a bag, or they are lazy and don't want to carry it around, or they are grossed out. I admit that I plan my neighborhood walks to go past the parks that have trash cans so I can throw out the poop. They do sell bags that are biodegradable. That's what they have at the dog park by my house. I usually end up taking to many poop bags when I arrive at the park. Any left over I take home and save for my walks.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sun Jan 15, '12 9:20pm PST 
I haven't tested this out with poop bags, but I know that the biodegradable leaf/yard waste bags start to degrade within days. And we had to stop using biodegradable kitchen trash bags for the dog poop bin outside as within a week or so, the bottom would disintegrate.

I'm lucky in that for the most part, I have a yard pooper, she just doesn't go on walks. When we hike I will pick it up unless we are deep in the woods. Stepping in poop sucks! And I really hate finding random dog poop in my front yard!!
[notify]
Penny Mouse- Fart Ayala

I eat, therefore- I am.....

Barked: Sun Jan 15, '12 10:38pm PST 
In my North Sacramento neighborhood, I've been told by police officers it is, in fact illegal to leave your dogs feces on others properties or on public sidewalks. It is the law that you must pick up after your dog. They were very clear on that fact, but just as clear that none of them had the time/inclination to prosecute or come out on a call that involved someone not cleaning up after thier dog/dogs. That having been established, my friend and I took our animals with us to talk to a neighbor who's dogs had been 'decorating' all of our yards for quite some time. We both had small children who played in our front yards and we also both owned dogs that we picked up after regularly. Frustrated, after repeatedly asking this neighbor, who I shall call "Pooper" to pick up after his 2 animals and being ignored, we walked to Poopers home (bringing our dogs with us so he could see we were not animal haters) and asked Pooper if he could kindly please pick up his animals deposits when he was aware they left a little something behind? He did not take this well and it degenerated into a foul mouthed arguement. We left in a hurry. After repeating our story to another dog loving neighbor who had asked us if we had a problem with Pooper, new neighbor offered to remedy the situation. That night, he picked up all the large feces in his back yard from his large dogs, and all the dog feces he could find in the neighborhood. He ended up with a bag of feces that was about 15 lbs. Late that night, this bag of feces was deposited on the doorstep, sans bag, of Pooper. The next morning, Pooper called the police. After Pooper demanded the the feces be matched to the neighborhood dogs behind to find the menace, the police left in hysterics. We never had a problem with Pooper again. After that, he always had a bag in hand. Now, we did not participate in any way with our neighbors plans, we were ignorant in every way until the next day, when new neighbor was boasting of how clean the neighborhood looked with all the dog stuff picked up. I'm not suggesting this as a course of action, just thought it was funny. Kind of 'rough' justice. eek
[notify]
Molly

Molly olly oxen- free!

Barked: Sun Jan 15, '12 11:09pm PST 
Why do people refuse to pick up their dogs poop? Because they're put on this earth to make people who are actually concerned about such a thing, live's h*** -_-;;

Usually on our runs I'll leave the bags home and just send the poop into a bush rather than bag it and keep on going until I find a trash can back at our starting point. Knowing my luck if I actually held onto it i'd have some kind of accident, fall and have the bag rip laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7