GO!

Confused here. Us vs. Neighbors.

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Neptune

Barked: Sat Jan 7, '12 3:16pm PST 
So here it is pretty clearly defined in the Florida State legislature:

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientID=1190 0&stateID=9&statename=Florida

Case in point:
(4)

No dog or cat shall be permitted to destroy or damage private or public real or personal property of another, or cause serious annoyance to a neighboring premises by interfering with the reasonable use and enjoyment of the property.

Our neighbors rent next door to us, and they have 4 pitbulls. They are NEVER home. They are gone pretty much all day, and let the dogs out in the yard. They bark all day long too. I can't even enjoy my yard, at all, because they constantly are chewing at the fence to try to get through. They have destroyed the wooden fence that we and the neighbors share. Ah, maybe the key word?

However, the dogs have gotten out numerous times, other neighbors have complained and our local animal control says there is nothing they can do until they actually attack someone. ?? What the?

Thought it was clear in the legislation that it wouldn't be tolerated.

I'm all for people having their own dogs, but they never have time for these poor dogs, and it really must suck for them.

Anyone else ever have to deal with this?
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sat Jan 7, '12 3:49pm PST 
#1 Talk with the property owner.

#2 Check your local noise ordinance.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Sat Jan 7, '12 4:13pm PST 
Definately talk to the neighbors. Especially if there is damage to the fence. Explain your concern about the dogs getting out. They could cause an accident or worse. Try to be nice about it.

The bad part is depending on the county you're in in FL there may not be much you can do. Unless the dogs appear sick, are extremely thin and neglected. If you live within city limits check with the local Law about the laws in specific to city limits. Some counties have BSL laws preventing the owners of pit-type dogs within city limits.

When the dogs get out call animal control about a loose dog. That way the owner has to pay a fine to pick up the dog.
[notify]

Neptune

Barked: Sat Jan 7, '12 4:43pm PST 
We have talked to the tenants, who are our neighbors, and I remember the man saying, "well they are friendly, they only act up when you're outside". Yeah...clearly. naughty But I should be able to be outside. They have fixed the pieces of fence the dogs have chewed through, but only by putting up new boards. This helps a little, but the dogs still keep chewing on them.

I do believe they have been fined once. I'm going to call our local animal control again and ask them about the laws. Also going to find out who the person is who actually owns the house. Hoping they would be reasonable.

I really am thinking of moving somewhere with very little neighbors. confused
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Sat Jan 7, '12 4:55pm PST 
We lived in the county in FL and loved it - we had acreage for the pups to run (it was fenced) and if the neighbors had a dog that came to visit usually the neighbor wasn't too far behind looking for them! laugh out loud

How about the landlord? Try talking to him/her..thinking If they've been fined before then they ought to know what they can and cannot do...naughty

Good luck! flowers
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Sat Jan 7, '12 9:19pm PST 
As Scooter mentioned, you need to talk to the property owner (the landlord) and look into your local noise ordinances.
[notify]
Dakota

Principles ...- Values ...- Common Sense

Barked: Mon Jan 9, '12 4:05pm PST 
Neptune. Are you sure the dogs are pit bulls?

I'm not sure about all of Florida, but several years ago I saw on Animal Cops that it is illegal in Miami Dade County to have a pit or pit mix.

I'm only asking because you may be mistaken what the dogs actually are. Even I still make the mistake from time to time.

I do feel for you, Neptune. We had to deal with a pit bull next door no one would do anything about, too. It would snarl and lunge and try to bit through the fence at us. What we finally did was plant a row of thorned hedge, put in a barbed wire fence, and then a row of nice fence so we wouldn't get pricked or stabbed.
[notify]
Neptune

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '12 4:57pm PST 
Oh they are pitbulls alright. Full blood, pure, pitbulls. Red-nose. And they have FOUR. I am not in Miami. I am in Northwest Florida, Okaloosa County, no rules against them. It's not so much the dogs that are the problem. Pits are guardians, so they bark ALL DAY LONG. Because they are left alone all day long. They have to be socially inept, bored, and going stir crazy. I never see the owners walk them, play with them, or interact with them. Now, what happens in the house...I have no idea. We just spent $150 at Lowe's securing our side of the fence. And we aren't even done yet!

Just stinks you can't enjoy your yard, without dogs wanting to claw, bite, and chew there way to get to you. The puppy did get under the fence so I got to entertain her the other day unti the neighbors got home. Poor thing. shrug
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Jan 14, '12 6:54am PST 
Neptune,
I sympathasize with your situation. We have an American Eskimo Dog down the street and it's only entertainment/exercise is being out on a pool deck since the pool and deck take up the neighbors whole yard and all she does is bark as well. I have to make my pups come in alot on days they would rather be out just to get some peace from her barking and the owner is home and does nothing about it. We also have a Golden retriever one house below that,that belongs to someone on our city council that is forever loose and comes to my fenced yard acting agressively,barking,growling,and lunging at our fence as well as trying to dig her way under it and my dogs again cannot enjoy their own yard because being Akitas were anything to happen they would be blamed. I wish I could offer advice but I can't.
You do have my sympathy and a fellow sufferer to rant with if need be.hughug and wishes to you in finding a solution.
[notify]
Dolly - RIP Old Lady

Old Dogs Are The- Best Dogs

Barked: Sat Jan 14, '12 10:29pm PST 
I really feel for your situation and I would be very uncomfortable being in the same one. Just wanted to clarify a couple of things: You cannot tell if a dog is "full blood" just by looking. They are far more likely "pit bull type dogs", and "red nose" is simply a colour, that's all. Additionally, pit bull type dogs are NOT guardian breeds, they are bull and terriers. I know these might seem like picky points, but for those of us who ARE responsible owners (unlike your neighbours) these points are important because of how easy it is for our dogs to be banned and/or killed.

Having said that, I do encourage you to pursue the matter with animal control. Four pit bull type dogs, alone TOGETHER, probably unaltered, underexercised and understimulated certainly can be a recipe for disaster, and I don't blame you for being concerned, I would be as well. This is definitely a case of the irresponsible owners who are ruining the breed, AND an example of terrible animal control laws that wait until these poor animals make mistakes that they never should be allowed to, to take action. I wonder if there is a local responsible pit bull rescue group you could look to for advice.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2