GO!

Attacked by a cat!

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Winn

Baby polar bears- aren't even this- cute!

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 10:21am PST 
I know it sounds odd, but it's exactly what happened a few days ago. Don't worry, she's already seen a vet and is just fine.
Winnie and Fagan were playing in the backyard and my BF was watching them through the kitchen window. A neighbors cat jumped over our fence and ran up to Winn and swatted her in the face and then went after her full force. My BF ran out the door to break up the fight, but every time he tried to get the cat to let go it would dig in it's claws harder and Winnie would whine louder. He finally got the cat loose and it ran up a tree. Winnie was bleeding from several places and had a deep scratch near her left eye, a deep puncture in a paw pad, and another puncture in her right front "elbow". After a few hours the elbow started to swell and she started limping pretty badly. We called the vet and scheduled an appointment for the next day. She's all fixed up and the elbow is fine now, but it made me wonder...
What could I possibly do to find the owner of the cat if her injuries were more severe? Is the owner of the cat even liable for anything? As far as I know there are no leash laws for cats in Vermont and cats aren't required to wear collars or tags of any kind for identification or proof of rabies vaccination. This was on our own property and my securely contained dog was minding it's own business when the cat trespassed. Not that I think it's likely to happen again, but I am really curious!
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 10:29am PST 
I am unsure of actual laws but I did find this from last year:
Leash Laws for Cats?

Also, as far as I am aware, leash laws or not, that cat was trespassing on your property. The owner should be liable for all damages caused when the cat is not on their property.

What kills me is that I can almost assure you that had your dog harmed the cat in any way the owner would almost immediately appear to start the finger pointing (been there, done that, didn't pay damages).
[notify]
Winn

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 10:50am PST 
I said to the BF that the cat was really lucky it didn't try that crap when we still had Misty, or this story would have had a much different ending. I know Misty would have killed a cat in a second given the chance.
Winnie actually likes cats and wasn't trying to hurt the cat at all, just get it to let go of her! If the cat hadn't been hurting her it probably would have been comical to see a 20 lb cat go after a 75 lb dog. However, I suspect that if she had hurt the cat we would have been in for a battle of our own.

Cobain, that law never went through, and it was for only one small city in VT. I looked at the state statutes and they only mention dogs and livestock, I found nothing about cats. Which I find quite odd since cats must damage property too, they could kill rabbits (especially baby ones), or some kind of birds/fowl, and I know they are notorious for digging up flower and veggie gardens to use as bathrooms. You would think that there would have been enough incidents that there would be some form of regulation on cats, especially since there are SO many for dogs!
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 10:52am PST 
Poor Winn, We're glad she's okay. She probably won't be too good with cats after this,but who could blame her. Should something like this happen again rather than trying to pull the cat off try dousing it with a small bucket of water. It's more likely to stop the attack and take off. Even if you find the cat and it's owner proving anything when it comes to cats is very difficult and the law for some reason treats them differently than dogs. I personally think the same rules about leashes,licensing,and damages should be enforced but in my experience they aren't because "cats are naturally free roaming creatures and can't be expected to be leashed or contained" I was able to do it when I had cats and dogs love to run loose as well yet we are expected as dog owners to keep our dogs under control for public safety. Hope Winn is all better soon and Happy New Year to you and your Family. You might want to check with your local AC to see what the laws concerning cats are in your area.
[notify]
Winn

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 11:14am PST 
I wasn't here when it happened, but I'm sure the BF didn't have much time to think as he ran out into the snow barefoot in his boxers laugh out loud
I'm sure water would have been better, but I'm also sure he was in a bit of a panic and just wanted to get the two apart and make sure they were both ok. He said he finally just held Winnie totally still and the cat let go and bolted up the tree.
I did check the town ordinances online and they also have no mention of cats at all. They aren't even required to be licensed, so I can't imagine how I'd even find the owner of any given cat. Even our neighbor, who thought it might be her cat till she got a closer look, had no idea who the cat belonged to.
[notify]
Tyson

Ball?! Did- someone say- BALL?!!!!!

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 5:08pm PST 
I know cat attacks can be insanely brutal. I was attacked by a feral cat that I had tried to pick up at the humane society in Dallas many, many years ago. It had gotten loose after being accidentally put into the adoption room after it's neutering. All I did was try to pick it up and it grabbed a hold o my hand and arm and tried to "kill" it. I let go immediately and it proceeded to continue its attack while I was shaking my arm to try to dislodge it. BTW, had I known it was feral I would not have gone near it.

Water absolutely helps during cat attacks/fights. We've broken up a few and even got rid of a few confused suitors (our cats are spayed/neutered) this way.

As far as the responsibility, it's what Mika&Kai said. Our cats have been accused before of various actions and when the accuser got a look at them, they've always been cleared. The "Girls" are a bit elderly now at 12/13 years old and 13/15 years. They are always accused any time anything happens to anyone. They are most often cleared because they don't sleep outside at night... ever and that they never looked like the culprit in the first place. One is a primarily white, medium-haired calico (beautiful markings) and the other is her offspring (before hubby grew a brain and before I even met him) and is a medium-haired, black and white. People have accused our orange tabby (we've never had one nor do we even know of any) and our gray tabby (after he was euth'd earlier this year; FeLeuk). Like dogs, people quite frequently accuse before they actually have all the facts.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 8:14pm PST 
Winn- Farley was also attacked by a cat last week! He was on leash and we had just walked out of the house and continued along the sidewalk. We walked past a parked car and Farley must have smelled the cat because he poked his head under the car (in a curious manner) and the next thing I knew, a loose black cat was literally ON Farley's face!
I was so surprised that I slipped on the ice and fell, and the cat was still on Farley's face for what seemed like forever so I used my foot to push it off his face, and it finally let go and ran up a tree.
Not ONCE during this situation did Farley try to hurt the cat in return, let alone even bark or growl at it. Afterwards, I was checking his face and he was fine other than a bloody scratch on the top of his muzzle. He was so unphased by it all, I think it upset me more than it did him!
There are so many people in my neighborhood who just let their cats run around outside all day, and I doubt any of them are licensed or spayed/neutered. It's so annoying because my dog was on leash and yet he was the one who was attacked. I wish I knew which house that cat belonged to so I could go tell them they're lucky their cat wasn't eaten.
[notify]
Cooper

Cooper- Peace_Love_&Bell- y Rubs!!!

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 10:02pm PST 
I had Coop on the porch yesterday as it was his first real snow. Leashed. My neighbor's cat came at him hissing up a storm. I got him in my arms because I heard " Cuddlebug" before I saw her. My neighbor apologized but I live in apt and landlord was clearing sidewalks . She ended up with a warning. Next time Cuddlebug is out. She huffed but landlord said ( I agree) if Coop went after her cat she'd want him out. Also was reminded that no pet is allowed to roam free per lease requirement. I'm certain that she's going to be watching us like a hawk now.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Jan 4, '12 5:34am PST 
Cooper,
I'm sure your neighbor will be watching and waiting for any little mistake to justify her allowing her cat to be loose. Cuddlebug doesn't sound like much of a "Cuddlebug" to me. (s)he sounds a bit agressive in my opinion. I wish that all jurisdictions had requirements for cats as well as dogs but in reality few do. I would be absolutely thrilled if the county I live in would require licensing of cats as well as dogs and held cat owners to the same standards. I personally am getting just a bit tired of people in my neighborhood allowing their cats to roam around and just go whereever they wish. I have lived in my current home for the past 6 years and am about to replace my second set of patio furniture and 4th set of cushions because of cats using it/them as a litterbox. We couldn't even bring it in for the winter because of the strong urine smell. I am also tired of my garden being used as a litterbox. We don't have a problem with cats around the dogs because any cat dumb enough to enter their area of the yard wouldn't make it back out. Hope all the attacked pups are feeling much better and wish everyone luck in dealing with issues because of the cat attacks. Coopercheer for your landlord.
[notify]
Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Thu Jan 12, '12 1:58pm PST 
Mika & Kye, have you tried citrus fruits or oils around the furniture & gardens? We have a toilet deodoriser that's a mix of orange and lavender. We had a male cat spray the front door a while back so we sprayed the door and edges of the porch. Dried fruit, oil or oil based spray might help.

http://www.orangepower.com.au/air-fresheners/
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2