GO!

Should I report my coworker?

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Thu Dec 8, '11 3:30pm PST 
My coworker has two dogs, a Mastiff/Pit mix, and a Boxer. The Mastiff/Pit has apparently already pinned her son down by his neck, and has also pinned the other dog down now. Other coworkers and I have expressed a lot of concern, ESPECIALLY because there is a CHILD involved. We just aren't sure really what we can do since we have not actually seen this ourselves.

We also believe that she may have 'accidentally' killed a kitten...she found one a month or so ago that had been left behind by its' momma. All of us that have had cats/kittens told her she needed to get it to a vet to find out what it needed...but she never did. She SAYS it jumped up onto her bar, and then fell off...and after that it went downhill fast for the kitten. She said it started acting like it had brain damage...again we told her to take it to the vet - she didn't.

She has said in front of others that her dogs don't get to go to the vet. "If something is wrong with my dogs & I can't fix it, they get the bullet." Those were her direct words.

Sorry for such a long post...I'm just concerned/frustrated.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Thu Dec 8, '11 5:10pm PST 
Sigh...that does suck. It doesn't sound like she really cares for their well being. It's one thing to perhaps not have the finances to care for your pet. I won't even go down that road (even though I did a little laugh out loud ).

I think what worries me the most is the child. Has she said whether the child has been bitten? What I find ironic is if the dog does bite the child, she'll probably shoot the dog.

I'm not sure you have grounds to report? Please understand I'm not an expert. you would need to provide proof (did she say this stuff in front of another witness?), and did the dog actually injure the child?

That's what I would wonder. I think you have to know whether there was any injury and having evidence. I'm sure animal control could interview them. They usally will do that if there is reasonable concern.

I hope that helps...hopefully others will have feedback too way to go
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Thu Dec 8, '11 6:57pm PST 
The only legit I can think of is to report it to child protective services since the child was (is?) put in danger of his life.

For the animals I don't think there is any lawful crime that you could prove. And some areas it seem don't do anything if an injured or sick animal is by law's definition neglected.
[notify]

Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Thu Dec 8, '11 10:05pm PST 
Thanks guys...as far as I know, the dog didn't actually BITE the child...yet. None of us can prove her words...just going by what she is telling us.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Fri Dec 9, '11 12:05am PST 
Report it to CPS. I'm not sure if they can do anything based on just verbal evidence but somebody needs to take care of this before that kid winds up hurt or dead.
[notify]
Twister

wouldn't harm a- fly...XD

Barked: Fri Dec 9, '11 4:02pm PST 
Ditto what Samson said. I don't think it really matters if the dog bit or not if he was pinning the boy down by his neck.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Fri Dec 9, '11 8:28pm PST 
What I find ironic is if the dog does bite the child, she'll probably shoot the dog.

Yes....and then get another dog, and when things don't work out again...the cycle continues.

But, I too would be concerned about the child. She so nonchalantly spoke about that....it's worrisome.
[notify]
Charlie

Barked: Sat Dec 10, '11 12:42am PST 
CPS is supposed to investigate reports. I would report it and hope there is something they can do to protect the child. If they talk to the child and they are told about the incident than I am sure something would be done. That is a very scary situation.
[notify]
Diamond In- The Rough

Single and- looking!

Barked: Sun Jan 22, '12 4:02pm PST 
If she TOLD you that the dog did something then you have grounds to report as a concerned citizen. They'll check her out.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Jan 22, '12 6:52pm PST 
We are currently holding a cat in six month quarantine in our cat rescue because it did not have a rabies vaccination and the woman's ex reported it to CPS. Because there was a dead bat found outside on their porch, the ex reported that the cat killed it. No proof it did, BUT no proof it didn't either!
The state came in and said the cat either needed to be euthanized or quarantined for 6 months. Since I am vaccinated against rabies we got approved to hold it for the six months. Fortunately that did not apply in this cat case as the cat didn't bite anyone.
In leiu of a boarding fee we accepted the cost of euthanizing and cremating the cat. Not much, but it WILL feed the cat for the six months.
The family visits the cat often, of course, they cannot touch him, but I can and I do! He is allowed to run free in our store when I am here alone and he is doing great with the quarantine so far...four months done!!
My point is that IF one of those kids gets bit and it is reported and the dog is not vaccinated there will be no quarantine period allowed...it will be euthaniza and testing of the brain. Plus, possibly fines and child endangerment charges against the mother.

Edited by author Sun Jan 22, '12 6:54pm PST

[notify]