GO!

What to do...

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of dogs. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Mon Nov 28, '11 9:18pm PST 
I was at one of the city parks where I live...first time I took Angel there. It has a few trails there so I thought it'd be perfect. We went around 9am because I knew there wouldn't be very many people around...and I was right. Since Angel & I were the only ones there, I did a little off-the-leash training. When we started back to the car I noticed another person was there with two dogs, both off leash. I put Angel's leash back on, and proceeded to the car.

His dogs were never leashed and they both ran right up to us. It wasn't much of a problem until his dogs started making Angel uncomfortable, and then one of them started snapping at her & growling. So I told the guy to get his dogs away, and he just said "Oh they won't bite!" I moved in between Angel & the other dog (she's almost 3 mos old, where these dogs were older & much bigger) and picked mine up before it could get bad & went to my car.

Did I do the right thing? Also, how can I avoid situations like this in the future?
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Mon Nov 28, '11 9:27pm PST 
You did the right thing by taking care of your pup. There is no way to avoid this kind of thing. Since you had your dog off leash, you have no leg to stand on. If it is an on leash park then you need to keep your dog leashed at all timse. Then you can complain if an off leash dog approaches. You do what you have to in order to protect your pup, bit unfortunately you will come across idiots everywhereshrug
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 2:25am PST 
I understand that about not having a leg to stand on because my dog was off leash at one point...and I will not do that from now on.
[notify]

Steel

Professional- sock burglar

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 7:32am PST 
If you're at a park that is on leash, then there isn't much you can do about it. You did the right thing in this situation. But when someone else's dog is snapping at yours, there isn't much you can do about an owner who won't act.
[notify]
Brycone

Mom's Left Hand- Man - I'm ready are- you?

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 9:03am PST 
Sorry folk, but I see nothing about her dog's being off leash having anything to do with this situation. As soon as she saw the other dogs, off leash, she got the leash on her dog. A lot of dogs have agression towards a dog on-leash and it appears that these dogs had agression towards this pup.

They were never put on-leash and they caused a problem. That's the issue here, not was her dog ever off leash.

Just my opinion, others may differ and that's OK by me. Blessings, De
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 9:16am PST 
Brycone...what we are saying is that OP would have a stronger case to argue if her dog was on-leash...IF that is the rule. It is hard to take the moral high ground if you have also broken the rules. That just leads to an argument of "well your dog was off leash also." Which, of course, would just cloud the issue if her dog had been injured.
OP..you did the right thing
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 1:10pm PST 
No, I agree with Brycone.

There's a difference between having your dog off leash when you're alone and having your dog off leash when people were around. The OP was courteous and leashed her dog when she saw another person coming.

But that's besides the point. The leash doesn't matter...what matters is that the dogs ran up to her and invaded her personal space. Even if the guy had them on leash and they did the same thing, it is still THE problem. Them invading personal space when not allowed.

The OP wouldn't have a leg to stand on if her dog ran up to the other person and did the same thing.

I say you did the right thing. Best to just remove yourself if people aren't going to handle their problems. Some dog owners need to realize that just because a dog won't bite that doesn't mean they can go around bothering people. I won't bite people, but I don't run up to them and invade their space. If I did, the cops would be called!
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 7:17pm PST 
You did the right thing. Welcome to the world of rude dog owners. naughty I hate it when people just act like - oh don't worry Fang won't bite! silenced When I would take Turner out I kept a sharp eye and would yell for people to get their dogs. They would say it's alright then I would say - No it isn't my dog will bite... Imagine that, they would get control of their dog. It'll drive you nuts! flowers
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 9:27am PST 
Thanks everyone...from now on when I go to that park I will keep my dog on the leash. As well as keep an eye out for that owner & his dogs. It's just a shame that this happens and there's no way to stop it.
[notify]